I just broke my first set of strings on my acoustic, so I'm not sure what to do. If you could answer these questions, I'd be very appreciatives.

Do I have to replace all of the strings, or just the broken ones?

What's the best CHEAP (its only for my practice guitar) set of strings?

Is it worth buying more than one set of strings? (for backup)

Thanks for all the help!
1) I don't know, i'll let someone else answer that
2) Most strings go for 4$usd. (that's all 6)
3) I buy strings in packs of five, I guess it doesn't matter if you live close to a guitar store.
dude strings are like 6 bucks a set... just buy a few sets to have on hand in case it ever happens again... Oh yea I can't stand when people break a string and only replace one.. but thats just personal preference I guess
Unless the strings are brand new, It's a good idea to change all the strings when one breaks.

Brands of strings are all personal preferance. Just pick something cheep and see if you like them. If you don't, then get a different brand next time.
Not taking any online orders.
Hmm.... would Walmart have a decent set of strings? The closest music shop is in San Antonio (about an hour away)
i dont think walmart would have ANY strings..... you can definately buy strings online at musicians friend or someplace like that..... i don't always replace all my strings when i break'em, it just depends on how filthy my strings are, i do try to replace them every couple of months at the most though and strings are about $6 a pack where i live, and i wouldn't recommend goin for anything too cheap (you get what you pay for!!! might as well pay the extra couple of dollars and have the strings not snap after a couple days)
If one breaks, take it as a sign that the rest should be replaced. Buy a set of D'addario 11 guage EXP coated bronze string for six bucks to put on your guitar and buy an extra set or two for later on.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
ask other musicians in your area about where to get strings. When I lived in South Dakota the music shop was a 140 mile round trip but the local appliance store sold guitar strings. Perhaps you have somebody local that you don't know about.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by Tantalus
Hmm.... would Walmart have a decent set of strings? The closest music shop is in San Antonio (about an hour away)

NO! See if there's an instrument repair guy or sound technician or something in the area. They'll either sell strings or tell you where to get some. I would suggest going to San Antonio to the store because they'll sell them the cheapest, the employees will know better than anyone else you talk to and they'll have the best variety. If you determined not to go to San Antonio, do that thing I mentioned in the first couple of sentences.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Quote by z4twenny
i dont think walmart would have ANY strings.....

wal-mart does have strings, as cruddy as they may be, they might be what you're looking for to practice with, the're usually at the front, right next to the exit doors, ask someone who works there...they also sell guitars there but if you buy a guitar from wal-mart i'll come to your house and rape you in the ear
Check on eBay too....a lot of eBay sellers will buy out stock of stores and sellout lots of like 50 sets for under a hundred bucks. If I ever find the PERFECT string for me, I'd definietly consider doing it.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
From a beginner guitarist- How do you know what gauge strings to get for your guitar?
I would argue against changing single strings, if your going to change them then change them all becuase one string of one brand or even if its the same but older will sound different to a new string and will cause sound anomalies.
If you want a good even sound change them all at once.
Quote by the k man22
From a beginner guitarist- How do you know what gauge strings to get for your guitar?

the gauge is mostly personal prefrence, if you're just starting out its probably wise to get medium gauge strings, and then figure out what you like from there
The thicker the guage, the better the tone. Heavier ones are a little harder to bend. That's it.
I got a pack of Gibson Pure's Super Light .009's at wal-mart, and am quite happy. It was 5 bucks. Anyway I would suggest to change the whole set, it's like a car with three worn tires and one new one, it just isn't that good. At least one spare pack is good. Oh and don't get .012 strings unless you want to cut your fingers off...
UG RPG - Big Band Jazz Group
Buckethead4Prez - String Bass

PM me to Join