does anyone know what key this song is in? And what scale would fit. Its got some funky chords and I cant seem to figure it out, help if you're familiar with the song

Chord progression-
am9 em11 (with a root note on both)
then the walk down from C to cmaj9, then Fmaj9, G, Dmaj7
Starts back with the am9 em11

the chorus is just Dmaj7, Dmaj6, Dmaj7, E7sus4(Add F)

It stays in the same key, I've got an idea but not sure, help please
got an awesome cover goin on, just need to put a solo in there :/
Last edited by Peaceful Rocker at Jul 18, 2006,
It seems to jump around a bit. If it were all in Cmajor, the chord options would be Cmaj7, Dm7, Em7, Fmaj7, G7, Am7, Bm7b5. So...

Am9, Em11, Fmaj9, G all fit within Cmajor.

Dmaj7, Dmaj6, and E7b9sus4 (once you have a 7 in a chord, "add" is not necessary) do not fit within Cmajor. The chorus has a tendency to resolve to Amajor because D and E are the roots of the IV and V chords in A... however, the F note in the E7b9sus4 (the F=b9) is out of key. It's a dominant chord though, so it shouldn't be bad at all.

So, it's mostly in Cmajor (minus the Dmaj7) while the chorus seems to be in A.
Looking for my India/Django.
Lake's solo looks like it's in A Dorian.

Emerson mostly sticks to A Dorian, but throws in the b6 (F) over the Dadd11/A chord (X0403X). The F is the flat third of D, so he might be going for a bluesy effect there. He also uses a lick with A harmonic minor over the same chord later in the solo.

Basically, the solo section is just the verse behind Lake's solo, and the two chords Am9 and Dadd11/A behind Emerson, for the most part. A dorian should get you through most of it, but if you want to add a few different notes, look at Emerson's solo for ideas.

Edit: C major would suggest A Aeolian, which would work during the parts where Lake is playing over F and G (although it appears he is using only notes in A minor pentatonic over these chords. However, because of the F# in the Dadd11/A chord, I would recommend A Dorian when not soloing over the F and G.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Last edited by psychodelia at Jul 18, 2006,
Psychodlia has it right on.

1. The verse is basically Am D (not Em). This is a simplification, since there's added notes to these chords that make them more complex, but those are the basic underlying chords.

2. Anytime you're going to a major IV when you're in a minor key think dorian mode, because you've got that raised sixth in the IV chord (F# in this case). Almost the same as aeolian mode (which in key of Am would be C major scale, which is why that scale would almost work) except for the sixth degree of the scale - F# in this case instead of F. Think of Oye Como Va (Am - D), or Evil Ways (Gm - C) -- its that same type of chord progression, and those solos are (mostly) in dorian mode.

note: I got scolded in another forum for using roman numerals i-IV to describe this type of chord progression (apparently you're supposed to think of it as ii-V, which makes absolutely no sense to me, then you'd be saying Oye Como Va is in key of G instead of Am, but whatever...) so I may be off base there. The easiest way for me to think of this sound is an Em shape to an A major shape. But whatever you want to call it, it's a certain type of sound, and its not uncommon.

Its been a long time since I played it, but I thought the basic chords in the verse were something like this:

some sort of Am:
-0-
-0-
-5-
-7-
-0-
-x-

some sort of D:
-0-
-3-
-0-
-4-
-0-
-x-

and in the chorus were something like this:

-5-
-6-
-5-
-0-
-x-
-x-

-5-
-6-
-4-
-0-
-x-
-x-

(repeat)

then the arpeggiated chord at the end of the chorus:
-0-
-3-
-2-
-3-
-2-
-0-

I could be off base with above tab, YMMV
p.s hey Peaceful Rocker I think this

"then the walk down from C to cmaj9, then Fmaj9, G, Dmaj7"

would be more like this?

C G/B Fmaj9 G Dm7

with the Dm7 played the same way the Dm7 in the chorus is (around the fifth fret, with open D string)

But its definitely a minor seventh sound, not major seventh.

The C to G/B is a real common sound, think Stairway to Heaven (verse), or Dust in the Wind.

Great song! Brings back memories ... I remember seeing ELP on Don Kirshner's rock concert (remember that?)... blowing my mind with "Karn Evil 9"