Poll: Better Solo?
Poll Options
View poll results: Better Solo?
shorter rocker
8 36%
sheratonplyr369
14 64%
Voters: 22.
I think Sheraton's has more feeling. I really felt shorter had no feeling and was playing fast with no reason other than to play fast.

Sheratons was definitely more bluesy as well

EDIT: Also thought Shorter's was noticeably out of time
Last edited by mattyyy at Jul 18, 2006,
sheratonplyr369 FTW because of real blues sound and this was a blues challenge so...

but shorter rocker, it wasent bad at all
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Sheraton has a bluesier feel and Shorty has more power, but I'll have to go with Sheraton because Shorty's distortion was a bit too high and had less feeling than Sheraton.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Sheraton needs to bring up the guitar level, and I feel like it dragged on a bit too long. It got old, but I voted for it anyway. It was more bluesy. I liked Shorty's song and tone and everything. Both of you did a great job.
Last edited by myvaliantleap at Jul 18, 2006,
Great job to the both of you, but I'm going with sheraton on this one.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Quote by backtothe70s
sheratonplyr369 FTW because of real blues sound and this was a blues challenge so...

I find that funny
Both were good... sheratons was more laid-back and gave more time to breath, but shortrockers was still bluesy while rockin' at the same time... the blues doesn't HAVE to be slow (Although I think shortrocker is definitely more built for rock).

I don't actaully know who I'm gonna pick
Originally posted by bobjewell87:
what the hells an emo song?
...it's all a matter of opinion dude! And we're just voicin' ours, it's just criticism dude
And obviously all great blues players aren't slow (SRV, Clapton, Moore to name 3).

But... something can be said about B.B. King, Albert King, Peter Green, and the like....
Quote by ThePartyBoy
But... something can be said about B.B. King, Albert King, Peter Green, and the like....

Peter Green doesn't belong on that list.. not at all... I get a LOT of my riffs from him, I don't like bb king and I get a lot of riffs from Albert King also, but listen to Peter Green - Rollin' Man he has a crazy solo in that
it's all good guys, both fast and slow have their place in the blues genre. It just depends on what connects to you the most. Personally I feel more in touch with a slow-medium speed blues solo than a fast one, which probably explains my solo's speed. Shorter rocker obviously likes faster ones which explains his solo. Lets just vote and leave the debating out of it.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Do black people attract more dust too?
shorter why don't you just take your criticsm like a man... if people say they like the other guys version 'cause it's slow, stop acting like a baby back bitch and deal with it. I mean why bother putting something up if you're going to try and argue with people who critique your playing
Quote by ThePartyBoy
shorter why don't you just take your criticsm like a man... if people say they like the other guys version 'cause it's slow, stop acting like a baby back bitch and deal with it. I mean why bother putting something up if you're going to try and argue with people who critique your playing

I'm fine with crits when I see the problem, usualy it is "you are sloppy" or "you need to piece things together better" but not sounding bluesy just doesn't seem right to me Maybe I was meant for the UG rock top dog?

O and I see an out of time comment, I can take that, that was because I had to play the song on intunes in order to record it, and to get the guitar audible I had to have it 20 times louder than itunes lol, couldn't quite hear what I was playing over
Last edited by shorter_rocker at Jul 18, 2006,
Ok... well it was some good solid playing dude... MY only critique would be to slow it down on a few runs... I'm not saying fast isn't good, I'm just saying I'd like to hear you speak slowly for a bars.

But that's just my opinion. ANYWAY
i do think that they were both good, but shorter rocker just has the edge. something about it made me really get into it whereas sheratonplyr369 i found was too slow, and although relaxing, solid and very bluesy, i just got a bit bored by the end.

Shorter rockers sounded a bit like hendrix and thats what i like!!
Personally I thought sheraton had cooler phrasing, though the guitar was really quiet. I liked that crunchy distorted tone, reminded me a little of billy gibbons at times. You mixed it up with the licks, and that contributed heavily to you getting my vote.

Shorter has some nice chops, but on occasion you went out of time and alot of it was repetitive. Insane bends and vibrato though...those .08s sure do get the job done. Unfortunately I have heard most of your licks many times before, and that clicheness made it hard for me to keep interested for the whole track.