Page 1 of 2
Hi, another question tonight.
I have read and its common knowledge that PRS' are great guitars.

But, why don't we see more people (ie rock stars) playing them?
Plug in and let rip

My Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul
Laney TF 400
Digitech Brian May Pedal
Digitech RP 300
Various Boss effects
Chavette by Charvel guitar (HSS)
Squier Stratocaster
Boss BCB 60 Pedalboard
preference.
Quote by SchecterFreak
like i said..i feel like a dumass... oh!!! man you are refering to your abreviated name wow..i really feel stupid *blushes* god... sorry USHO.

man i feel like a **** now...
Because they're so expensive. The quality doesn't really justify the price. They're still great guitars, but for that kind of money you could do better.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Whoops.
Shoulda checked the artist section first.
Thanks.
Plug in and let rip

My Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul
Laney TF 400
Digitech Brian May Pedal
Digitech RP 300
Various Boss effects
Chavette by Charvel guitar (HSS)
Squier Stratocaster
Boss BCB 60 Pedalboard
Quote by timi_hendrix
Because they're so expensive. The quality doesn't really justify the price. They're still great guitars, but for that kind of money you could do better.

I agree, I think the Carvin California Carved Top guitars are a better deal for basically the same thing.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
They're too expensive, and from what i gather, most people who like the PRS type of tone, like the les paul better.
Quote by timi_hendrix

He's talking about professionals, and a lot of pros use Les Paul Standards and such, about which you can say the exact same thing. Things are worth what people are willing to pay for them. And PRS's, against their competition of the same price, have exceptional quality. They don't have the bells and whistles, but who cares?
Hi, I'm Peter
Too much money. I'm still struggling to afford a 600 dollar guitar...let alone 3200, plus effects pedals, and all that other stuff
Quote by timi_hendrix

Really do you work at PRS guitars? do you do part of the quality control?

The reason for their stifling prices is the quality control. THey destroy all the blem models that dont pass QC, even if its been fully constructed. This means quite a lot of labor and resources thrown out meaning big prices.

And their only other price competitor is Gibson, PRS wins by quality by far.

So really know you facts straight before you start saying stuff out your ass.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Their still to much money. You can get hand-crafted custom guitars for that price.
Of course he does, nobody would be stupid enough to make themselves look like a total idiot by asking a question like that when they do not work at PRS guitars, right?
Quote by YYZ
Their still to much money. You can get hand-crafted custom guitars for that price.

But thats probably from an individual luthier, and not a company. It also takes a lot longer for a custom job. It's like saying i can cook my own food rather than go to an expensive restaraunt.

I can. And I own 2 PRSs

Example: For lunch one day, I made myself a perfectly braised medium rare rib eye steak with sauteed shitake and portobello mushrooms in a red wine reduction, served with a side of baby greens spattered with a bit of extra virgin olive oil.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by YYZ
Of course he does, nobody would be stupid enough to make themselves look like a total idiot by asking a question like that when they do not work at PRS guitars, right?

His and your opinions might be biased because you either are some elitist fanboy, or just can't afford good products. You don't call good stuff shit because you're not a professional and have never had any experience with what you're judging.

Quote by YYZ
Can you cook your own food like a master chef though?

50 dollar steak at a restaraunt, yea it takes a master chef to put a 20 piece of meat on a grill for a few minutes and make sure it isn't too well done. Maybe even put some seasoning on it for the difference.

I never called it ****, I called it overpriced.

So how do you know all about what goes on in these PRS factories?
Quote by Funky P
50 dollar steak at a restaraunt, yea it takes a master chef to put a 20 piece of meat on a grill for a few minutes and make sure it isn't too well done. Maybe even put some seasoning on it for the difference.

That's what PRS is doing.
Quote by YYZ
I never called it ****, I called it overpriced.

So how do you know all about what goes on in these PRS factories?

I know a former employee for PRS guitars, he now sells amps at a local mom&pop shop.

And the numerous pictures from PRS employees going through destroying blem products.

not liking a PRS for its feel, sound, or even look is totally okay, but to say its a bad quality instrument is just bs.

Last edited by Funky P at Jul 18, 2006,
Quote by Dirk Gently
I can. And I own 2 PRSs

Example: For lunch one day, I made myself a perfectly braised medium rare rib eye steak with sauteed shitake and portobello mushrooms in a red wine reduction, served with a side of baby greens spattered with a bit of extra virgin olive oil.

One is enough. Gimmegimmegimme.
They ARE overpriced. Their instruments aren't even handcrafted anymore (I think, im not sure. I heard they stopped that in the 90s). They've gone on to the gibson way, of handcrafting the necks and ****... The ONLY reason to get a PRS instead of a custom crafted guitar, is resale value, and for people with 3,000 dollars to spend on guitars, that shouldn't even be a consideration.
Quote by YYZ

That's what any guitar company does. It just happens to be cheap to make Fenders, especially when they don't care all that much about quality control. Again, PRS is a company that's trying to make a profit that uses exacting standards to make sure you get the best possible guitar from them that they can make. Yes, the fact that they waste so many man hours and materials because of QC means that the prices of other guitars will be more expensive. But oh well. I love my PRS Standard 24. I don't think it's a waste of money at all. And I challenge you to find a better quality instrument for $1,800.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by YYZ

There's a $2000 Ibanez out there, this is even more overpriced than PRS.

mediocre grade tops and woods, only less than a handful of finishes, Korean made. Yea totally more worth it than the PRS of almost equal price.

Sure, there are other overpriced guitars but PRS is definitely the king of them.
Quote by Funky P
There's a $2000 Ibanez out there, this is even more overpriced than PRS.

mediocre grade tops and woods, only less than a handful of finishes, Korean made. Yea totally more worth it than the PRS of almost equal price.

Come on, man...that's completely unfair. Do you know how much it costs to carve a monkey grip into a flat body with no carved top? At least $1,200.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Come on, man...that's completely unfair. Do you know how much it costs to carve a monkey grip into a flat body with no carved top? At least $1,200.

You forgot putting in those mega-cool ridges in the trem cutaway, Pete.
Quote by Dirk Gently
I can. And I own 2 PRSs

Dirk Gently, Subtley reminding us all that he has a better life than us.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Quote by Pedricko
Dirk Gently, Subtley reminding us all that he has a better life than us.

Nah. Only one of those PRS's is USA made And come on, a guy has to pamper himself every once in a while. Hell, I even sliced it and plated it gourmet style. It was awesome

Besides, I have absolutely NOTHING on Edg.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently

Besides, I have absolutely NOTHING on Edg.

Anyway, I'd say PRS is pretty much overpriced. At least the high end models.
Good guitars, but not great. If I had to choose between keeping my Am Deluxe
Strat or my PRS C22 (at 3x the cost) I'd choose the Strat without even having to
think about it. Not that a Strat is so much better, I just like it a lot more. Price
doesn't necessarily mean one guitar is better than another.
meh i dont the lacquered necks, and theyre a bit too fat for me.
as for looks, i think flame/quilt, binding, and bird inlays look corny as ****, but i do like some more understated cu22's ive seen.
and this sounds very stupid and shallow, but i kind of feel turned off by the fact that theyre so popular.

Quote by Dirk Gently
And I challenge you to find a better quality instrument for $1,800.

take a look at the entire line of ebmm guitars. all under 1800 with basically full options, and all whip pauline's hand made ass imo. equal, if not better qc and customer service, with attention to small details that make big differences, and most importantly, much better playing necks (for most people).
Me and my '01 PRS:

Heaven:
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Instead of getting something just because it is handmade. You could get a custom shop guitar to your specs.
Quote by DoTheEvolution
It's worse pissing when you come in from the really cold weather and your penis has shrunken to the size of a coffee stir straw and the piss feels like the blast from a super soaker.
one word

spensive (not exspensive)
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
Page 1 of 2