Poll: Should I mod or sell?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should I mod or sell?
Mod
79 78%
Sell
22 22%
Voters: 101.
Page 1 of 4
I came across a Lp Special II and I'm wondering what to do with it, I'm thinking I should give it a new paintjob and new pups, but I'm currently saving for a new gutar and thinking I should sell it to make some funds for my new guitar. I have a good rig, so I'm not sure what to do.

So I need some help, it's in pretty good condition, but I'm not sure what it's made of or if it's worth it.

Should I mod it or sell it(price)?
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Last edited by edwardthegreat5 at Jul 19, 2006,
i'd say mod because im too scare to do anything to my guitars now, i dont want ot mess them up and regret screwing around with them, but if i had a ****ty little guitar (LPII) then i would mod it, take it totally apart, learn the anatomy of the guitar, all that fun stuff, and not worry about busting anything on it
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

Yes, but I'm saving up for something right now, so every penny counts. And modding it would set me back at least $200, but then again, I already have some pretty bad-ass guitars, so a new one is pretty unecessary.

Screw it, I'll mod it(assuming someone tells me what it's made of).

Any suggestions on finishes because the black finish it has right now is pretty plain.

As for pups, I'm thinking an EMG 81/60 combo, I need something that has good cleans, but can still rock your socks off. I might post pics as soon as I fing our digital camera.

BTW, it's my birthday tommorow(*wink,wink* birthday thread)
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Does anyone have any Idea what it's made of?
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
WTF, alder laminated with maple? Will that sound good once new pups are placed in, or is this just a lost cause?

Anyone have any good paint ideas, they can't be too complicated, my painting skills are limited.

And once you are done with the paint job, how would one clearcoat the guitar?
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
everyone i know that has that guitar mods the **** outta it. you gotta. its the guitars destiny.
I don't care if it doesn't sound like a real LP, I have a guitar that sounds like a LP, which happens to be a Les Paul. All I want is for it to sound good.

Which pup do you think would get better cleans in the neck?
http://store.guitarfetish.com/v59niclalpah.html
or
http://store.guitarfetish.com/alfatpafbohu1.html

And how do you think this would do on the bridge for hard rock and going into a little metal?
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
OK so I put some thought into it and Decided to paint it EVH white on black style, but I was also thinking of painting it white and simply putting a black stripe through it.

So what do you think?
Horizantal Stripe-

One Stripe-

Two Stripes-

5150-
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
I think horizantal, with two lines going across and down instead of one and two. I think thats exactly what the guy above me said.
Rolling Stones October 8th.....hell yea
''alder laminated with maple'' is cheap speak for 'Plywood' as you will most likely know, Plywood is exactly that, Ply (layers) of wood. Another more sophisticated name for this is 'Laminate' which are made in the exact same way, Layers of wood.

Posh neck thru guitars and basses may have a 5 piece 'laminate' neck that looks nice. Cheap guitars will be atypical plywood.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Quote by Pedricko
''alder laminated with maple'' is cheap speak for 'Plywood' as you will most likely know, Plywood is exactly that, Ply (layers) of wood. Another more sophisticated name for this is 'Laminate' which are made in the exact same way, Layers of wood.

Posh neck thru guitars and basses may have a 5 piece 'laminate' neck that looks nice. Cheap guitars will be atypical plywood.

When the term laminate is used it usually means a manufactured board (such as chipboard, MDF and ply) with a paper picture of wood on top, then a plastic coating. This stuff is used on flat pack furniture and laminate flooring.

Ply is made from veneers, not laminates. Usually made from birch or similar, and the grain of each layer is perpendicular to the grain of the previous layer.

No, you didn't need to know that, but I thought I'd tell you anyway.

Back onto the main topic.... I would say sell it TBH. If you're saving for another guitar or to mod another guitar then don't get sidetracked like this during the saving-up stage. I've had to overcome the temptation many times; I almost bought a new amp a few weeks ago when trying to save up for my Bareknuckles... I say leave it as it is and sell it to make some cash for your main project.

Calum
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
I mod my Epiphone Lep Paul Jr. with a P90 and damn it's very sounds heavy!
Desperate Times, Desperate Measures.
So you mean something like this-

I think I'll just put my new guitar on hold for a while and work on this project, I've been meaning to do a project for a long time, besides, there's no school, so i have nothing but time on my hands.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
maybe if you mod it you will be able to sell it to a higher price than you bought it so mod it!
I don't like selling the stuff that I work on, if I put some hard work into it, I would be sad to see it go.

So what do you think of the pups?

Which pup do you think would get better cleans in the neck?
http://store.guitarfetish.com/v59niclalpah.html
or
http://store.guitarfetish.com/alfatpafbohu1.html

And how do you think this would do on the bridge for hard rock and going into a little metal?
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
You could get a little crazy and remove the neck heel. See the pic of the Les Paul here http://edromanguitars.com/custom/conversions.htm

If it's a bolt on, the same idea applies. Make it a test donkey...radically carve the body and spray it white pearl with black pearl stripes...or don't spray the stipes, inlay it with a dark blue/green abalone.
I don't feel like doing anythink that drastic, especially since my woodworking skills are limited.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Do you think I should do it backwards and do white on black instead of black on white?

I've decided to eiter do the 5150 or the Horizontal Stripe Design, what do you think?

5150 Black-

Horizantal Stripe Black-

5150-

Horizantal Stripe-

Which one should I go for?
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
i like the 5150 black best. it looks cooler.
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Yeah, I'm almost sure I'm doing one of the two 5150 designs, but I'm not sure which one.

And how's that V going?
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
the V is coming along great. hopefully i should get it finished tomorrow. then the only thing iwill need is chrome, putting on the frets and nut, and slapping in the electronics. so it shouldnt be too much longer.

but i cant wait to see your guitar as you upgrade it. i think its gonna be bad ass.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Yeah, I don't think I'm gonna be able to post pics for a while, our digital camera decided to run away, so I can't take pics, I might go out to the dollar store later and buy a webcam, so hopefully I'll be able to get pics up by next week.

Honestly, I haven't even started sanding yet.

So your V is almost done eh?
Did you already make the cavities for the bridge, pups, ect.

And how are you gonna finish it, I think it would look sweet ie you powdercoated it.

Sorry about all these questions, but I don't feel like looking through 5 pages in your thread for answers.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
okay, nothing extreme...I got you.

I'd say the black 5150...here's an idea.

What if instead of black, you used that purple/green dupli-color mirage paint, and the stripes could be white with a pearl top coat. Make a color-shifting 5150.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/mirage.html

I really think that would set this guitar off.
no since the body is hollow im just gonna mount the pup with the pup ring, no cavity. the bridge im custom making so it will just mount to the top.

i had thought about powder coat, but the only powdercoater near me is 1 1/2 hours away and charges an arm and leg. so im just gonna chrome it. its a little cheaper with gas prices and all, and i think it would look cool.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Quote by TwoString
okay, nothing extreme...I got you.

I'd say the black 5150...here's an idea.

What if instead of black, you used that purple/green dupli-color mirage paint, and the stripes could be white with a pearl top coat. Make a color-shifting 5150.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/mirage.html

I really think that would set this guitar off.

To be honest, that's gotta be the ugliest color I've ever seen.

No offense.

To metalmilitia74-
That's cool, I can't wait to see how it turns out.
And try this chrome-
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/gold-chrome.html
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
I've got a few questions on painting.

Once I sand down to the original finish, am I supposed to primer it, or just paint over the original finish?

And once I finish painting, how long am I supposed to let it sit for before I clearcoat it?

Would a satin finish instead of laquer look good on this?
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Hell, go ahead and do it. You wont get any $$ out of it so dont sell it. EP LP SII arnt much to begin w/. so dont sell it. I would do the 2 horizontal lines too, they look really good. Dont buy those pups unless your on a relly tight budget. Get these, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-Hot-Rodded-Humbucker-Set-?sku=300030

theyll sound a lot better for a LP and also there a cheaper set of Seymour's so do that and thell be better
I've heard good things from guitarfetish, and my local shop ordered some and put them in a Les Paul and it sounded great,
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Quote by edwardthegreat5
To be honest, that's gotta be the ugliest color I've ever seen.

No offense.

No offense taken man...just keep in mind you're looking at a static color sample...in reality, the color is much darker. Ernie Ball is using these paints on their customs, it really looks sharp. The color change is very subtle. I'd say try and find a real picture of this finish on something. Take a look here...

http://duplicolor.com/gallery/mirage_gallery.html

Check out the first picture of the bike fender. There are other examples there as well. If it's not for you, then by all means, stick with the plain-old (boring ) basic colors (sorry, I was channeling metalmil. on that one just kidding with you man).

Just a thought...

But really, I like the black 5150 with the white stripes the most. I think it will be stunning.
are you telling me i should use some other color then chrome, twostring??? do i smell a challenge? lol
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Ok, so I'm going for the Black 5150, but I'm using a satin finish instead of laquering it.

I'm gonna use duplicolor and I should start as soon as my dad finds his sander and I get some pics up.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Quote by metalmilitia74
are you telling me i should use some other color then chrome, twostring??? do i smell a challenge? lol

No challenge at all man...I remember you saying you were going to leave the steel raw, and then all of a sudden you're going to chrome it. If you're going to finish it, do something to preserve the metal-ness of it.
Quote by edwardthegreat5
Ok, so I'm going for the Black 5150, but I'm using a satin finish instead of laquering it.

I'm gonna use duplicolor and I should start as soon as my dad finds his sander and I get some pics up.

Awww I really really liked the horizontal stripes... black stripes on white. Im gunna do that to my project if your not gunna.
i too like the black 5150 do that but w/ a flat blackand chrome stripes :-) then to a polyurithane/ clear coat on top making the black have a cool effect and the chrome would look bas @$$!!!
Page 1 of 4