Recently I downloaded the major scales and they are shown as notes all along the fretboard. My question is, how do I go about learning these?
Do I learn them string by string eg. for A major it is:
0--2--4--5--7--9--10--12--14--16--17--19--21
Or should i learn them as firs position, second position etc... like this:
0--2--4--5
0--2--3--5
1--2--4
etc...........
Any reply is appreciated.
We'll be washed and buried one day my friend
And the time we were given will be left for the world
The flesh that lived and loved will be eaten by plague
So let the memories be good for those who stay
I would learn them by position. Like learn the C major scale in first position, then the next, etc.. But that's just me.

Pay attention to the notes, not just the patterns.
Both ways, because when you learn a scale, the goal is to be able to play any note on any string at any given time within the key. Practice both, in my opinion.
: : Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Ibanez Acoustic-Electric
Fender Black Strat
: : Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde Distortion & Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby
Fender Tuner
did you learn all the theory? for instance i'm going through forming chord patterns according to scales? did you memorize the fretboard? that's what my teach told me to do
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by seek_&_destroy
did you learn all the theory? for instance i'm going through forming chord patterns according to scales? did you memorize the fretboard? that's what my teach told me to do

Learning scales helps you memorize the fretboard easier than just sitting down and memorizing, well, from my experience. Killing two birds with one stone is fun
i recommend learning the positions but you should be able to play the notes on each string as well. ...i hope you know what the major scale is used for?
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
i recommend learning the positions but you should be able to play the notes on each string as well. ...i hope you know what the major scale is used for?

What do you mean what its used for, is it not just used for improvising solos in the same key?
We'll be washed and buried one day my friend
And the time we were given will be left for the world
The flesh that lived and loved will be eaten by plague
So let the memories be good for those who stay
like how the major scale is used to figure out what notes are in what key / how if you play the major scale of a note then you are playing all the notes in that key.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by Malakian=God
What do you mean what its used for, is it not just used for improvising solos in the same key?

Well yeah... and everything else in the musical world... everything is based off of the major scale. Your apparent point of view is very specific... like, I don't even know how to answer that lol.
Looking for my India/Django.
I recommend what you suggested. Improvising - learn your chord tones - 1 3 5 7 and improvise with them as your target notes depending on the progression.

What I like to do... is throw in the 6th every now and then - I mean, emphasizing it and knowing where it is - that's when the relative minor comes in.

Not that you shouldn't know where every other note is - but those are the ones you're going to use most often, I'm assuming.

I memorised scales with improvising, taking a whole scale across the fretboard in patterns and linking them up with chord tones and motifs.

I think it's better to memorise the scales as musical distance, notes & intervals or whatever and knowing where each one is, as opposed to memorising just a set pattern of physical distance between each one on the fretboard, linear or pattern-wise.