I don't know if this has been posted before, but here are some easy (but not completely obvious) tips for new guitarists that I wish I had known when I first started. Please feel free to add any others!!

1. When learning a new song, always play along with the record
-you will learn to play with drums and understand the timing with fills
-the tab you are playing with could be wrong, its a damn good way to check
-you will learn to play exactly like the guitarist whos song you are playing

2. Always keep your guitar in tune
-it not only sounds better, but you will start to train your ears to listen for what various chords and scales sound like... believe me, it will make a huge impact playing completely in tune for 2 years instead of playing with all the strings slightly off pitch

3. If a song or lick that you want to play seems too hard for you... give it a try!
-start playing it slower and slowly build up to normal speed
-it truly is the only way to get better, if you play easy stuff for 6 years... the hard licks will only stay hard, push yourself dammit!

4. Always play with a metronome
-there is nothing worse than being able to play quickly and not in time... I found that out the hard way
-if you are learning an incredibly hard lick, start at a slower BPM and slowly raise it up, don't jump from 80 BPM to 130 BPM! You will not be able to adjust to the speed change, and not every drummer will play the lick at exactly 130 BPM, it will help to learn to play at every speed so if your drummer kicks off at 110 BPM, you won't be screwed

5. Try to retune your guitar by ear
-you will be surprised how close you will get it
-also, you will train your ears to listen for what sounds right and what doesn't... it will also be a lot more helpful when trying out of tune guitars at various guitar stores

6. Learn stuff that will benefit your style of playing
-what is the use of learning something that you don't like or will never use? If you want to just play chords, then learn chords... if you want to shred, learn how to do alternate picking, sweeps, and economy picking.

Well thats all I got for now. I know that this stuff seems extremely obvious, but I had no idea that this doing this stuff is extremely beneficial to guitar playing. Feel free to add on if you guys have any things you wish you had known when you started guitar.
ooooo, my head rock on
don't get a teach a first, first fool around on sights like this, learn as much as you can, then get a teacher if you feel the need, i wasted a good year of lessons just learning stupid things i could have learnt on my own.

my two cents

EDIT well i feel stupid , i meant sites, not sights
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
um some of us are to poor to afford metronomes like for number four. and for number five some people are deaf. i mostly fall into to poor, category lol.
^ http://www.metronomeonline.com/ online, free. only prob is you need to play in front of your comp. Unless you have extremely loud speakers
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
^ YES it is especially in the beginning, initially you'll think your playing in time but you will fall in and out, after several years your timing will improve but in the beginning you really want to play with a metronome
I'll be the 3rd YES.... Always play with a metronome, unless you have a solid drummer. It may seem annoying, but it will make you a million times better and you will thank yourself later. Playing in time will seperate you from all the other guitarists out there... trust me.
ooooo, my head rock on
Start alternate picking right from the start. Even if your not going to play shred, it's a very useful technique, and it's very hard to learn and makes you feel like you did your first few days starting the guitar when after a year of all downstrokes you try to play a speed picking lick.
Quote by seek_&_destroy
don't get a teach a first, first fool around on sights like this, learn as much as you can, then get a teacher if you feel the need, i wasted a good year of lessons just learning stupid things i could have learnt on my own.

so true. i absolutely hated lessons with passion.
Quote by Nelsean

Every genre of music has it's good and bad. People are just too ignorant to understand that.