Hey, I think Im going to buy a Stompbox tuner in a bit, and I was wondering, what's a good pedal for tuning to any tuning you want, that's easy on batteries, and easy to read while standing on stage or in light?

Also, is there a special place in the chain where it works best, like, right from the guitar, infront of all the other pedals, so the signal doesnt get distorted and mess up the tuning?

Thanks in advance.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
it should be the first pedal that gets the guitar signal, otherwise the signal would be distorted...
ya first and the Boss Chromatic is amazing best next to only the Korg Rackmounts
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I bought the cheap Fender. Leaving the guitar cord plugged in all the time has not affected the batteries. 3 mos. now and the original battery is still good. LED readout for the dark stage, has the bypass feature so that when your tuning, no signal down the line. Got it at musicians friend for about $50.
harvocrus, how does it read in the light, I have some LED pedals such as my ZOOM707II, and I find it rather hard to read when there's sunlight cast across the screen.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Yeah, Boss Chromatic tuner is pretty awesome for what it is.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
I picked up the planet waves tuner pedal a few months ago. It is a little cheaper than the Boss pedal in price. I like it. It is true bypass and very accurate.
Quote by Syn Harvest
ya first and the Boss Chromatic is amazing best next to only the Korg Rackmounts

I completely disagree. I have never had a tuner tune as well as my Peterson Strobostomp. Peterson makes the BEST tuners for any instrument period. I have had the Korgs, the Boss, the Fenders and a few other ones, none are as accurate and versitile as the peterson tuners.

UG NMA Member #2

Gil Grissom PWNS YOU!
The BOSS tunner pedal is the best one. I think it works best if you have it as the last pedal, all the way to the right.
i have the boss pedal and its alright but i wouldnt buy it again if it broke. it is almost impossible to read if you are playing outdoors in any degree of sunlight. if you forget about it and leave it plugged in it will be out of batterys next time you play most likely.

i was playing outside in the daytime under a giant tent and had to detune to Eb and my drummer just does a improve solo that transitions to the next song during that time it takes me to detune. but i couldnt see the tuner because of glare on it and the lights not being bright enough so it took me forever and i was panicing haha. it sucked basically. i dont know if any other tuner would have been better in that situation but it was a tough situation to be in.
the boss is a solid pedal for the price peterson is pry the best tuner out there its very very accurate and very very expensive, ive heard the fender pedals are ok, but boss just seems to be the standard but like other boss pedals you might as well get a power supply for it
Quote by jono034
I completely disagree. I have never had a tuner tune as well as my Peterson Strobostomp. Peterson makes the BEST tuners for any instrument period. I have had the Korgs, the Boss, the Fenders and a few other ones, none are as accurate and versitile as the peterson tuners.

I Have never heard of these Peterson Strobostomp Pedals. But itf yousay they are so amazing i will definitly check them out
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
The Boss tuner is great. I use a Fender PT-100 chromatic tuner and it works like a charm as well. Cheap too.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
You can power many pedals with it, but you still need to get a good 1000+ mA adapter in order to pull that off. And in that case, you add $5 for a daisy-chain cable....
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Planet waves tuner is said to be awesome, true bypass, solid metal (heavier then the boss), and a guy was saying that a tech tested it for him and it was correct to 1/2 a cent, although you gotta take these thigns with a grain of rice.
Quote by jono034

That's because it's 200 bucks, you get what you pay for...
Quote by jono034

Absolutely. If you're willing to spend enough to get a good tuner, the Strobostomp's what you want.

But if you're on a budget like me and most other people, the TU-2's a good alternative.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Peterson Strobe
Gear:
Jackson dxmg 10
Ltd Ec 400
Line 6 HD 147
Line 6 FBV Shortboard
Marshall 1960a
Behringer V-Amp Pro
petersons are for the professional level.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Quote by greendayguitar
Hey, I think Im going to buy a Stompbox tuner in a bit, and I was wondering, what's a good pedal for tuning to any tuning you want, that's easy on batteries, and easy to read while standing on stage or in light?

Also, is there a special place in the chain where it works best, like, right from the guitar, infront of all the other pedals, so the signal doesnt get distorted and mess up the tuning?

Thanks in advance.

Fender PT100, read my post "Need a tuner, hows this one?"

i just updated it as i got my PT100, great tuner

BUT, if you have the money to spend i suggest that Boss pedal tuner everyone says is great for $100

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-TU2-Chromatic-Tuner?sku=213012
Last edited by moody07747 at Jul 19, 2006,
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?
^ Will that allow to tune down a half step?

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
yep, and also down a full step, its chromatic, you can tune to any note
Quote by King ofKumbucha
Sweet thanks might have to check that out.

EDIT: Does it have true bypass?

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
get the boss tu-2. it will live forever i have it
ibanez rg370dx (Crunchlab/Area 58/Liquifire)
ibanez rgr320ex (EMG 81/85)
ibanez grx20 (Super 3/PAF PRO)
ibanez gsr205 bass
randall rh150 head
avatar 2x12 contemporary cab (GK-100's)
boss GT8
ibanez weeping demon wah
line 6 ux1
Quote by IrishBlues
Sweet thanks might have to check that out.

EDIT: Does it have true bypass?

sorry man, but neither does the boss
Quote by King ofKumbucha
Quote by jmac72187
I picked up the planet waves tuner pedal a few months ago. It is a little cheaper than the Boss pedal in price. I like it. It is true bypass and very accurate.

id doubt that its true bypass.....companies like to throw those words around in mixes like "true hardwire bypass" etc etc etc

anyway, ive got the Boss DS-2 (i think thats what it is) its great for what it is, just (like all pedals) either get a power block for em, or dont leave em plugged in.

If you dont mind rack spend the extra 40 and get a Korg DTR-1000 though, ive got the DTR-2000 (basically the same cept for little features), it lets you tune to anything you want chromatically or you can manually select what tuning you want out of it....its worth the money, but some people would rather have pedals than racks....your call
"insert witty somewhat racial, innapropriate, degrading comment here"
it is true bypass, unplug it totally, no power in it and no problem, it goes through. ppl can neva believe it cause its from planet waves (who are pretty basic usually). but apparently it's more accurate than the boss and it's got that whole strobe tuning thing
wierd, i wonder what kind of circutry they have in it to make it bypass (since im sure its all on a PCB board) but by definition of true bypass, when the pedal is not engaged the signal goes from the input jack to the output jack without passing through any of the circutry....which is tricky in most "BOSS" style stompboxes
"insert witty somewhat racial, innapropriate, degrading comment here"
Get the boss tuner...you can use it to power whatever other pedals you have and it's reliable. If you're worried about "true bypass", just get a seperate hardwire bypass pedal (you can build one using a radio shack project box and a dpdt switch for about $10).