Most guitars that have EMG's come standard in them have the 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck. Now, I always thought that your solo pickup was supposed to be in the neck and this always confused me with EMG's because the 81 is the better pickup for solo's and it is in the bridge. So yesterday I brought my guitar in to get it fixed and the guy pointed out to me that the EMG pickups were backwards. They were: an 81 in the bridge and an 85 in the neck. He showed me how when you switch between them the 81 has a very noticable drop in volume. Apparently when you switch them they will have a much nicer transition between the 2 when you change pickups. He also told me that it wasn't until a few years ago that guitar companies started doing this. So my question is, why did guitar companies start doing this and about what time did they start doing it? Do you guys have your EMG's set up with the 85 in the neck and 81 in the bridge?
Yes, that is the way its supposed to go.
85=Neck
81=Bridge
Quote by DoTheEvolution
It's worse pissing when you come in from the really cold weather and your penis has shrunken to the size of a coffee stir straw and the piss feels like the blast from a super soaker.
...umm i dont know, but my 81 is in the bridge and my 85 is in the neck
Go get your shovel.
Yea, I know that. Has anyone ever tried reversing them though?
the 81 on the bridge gives a better high treble distortion, i prefer solos in the bridge cuz it sounds so muhc better, the neck is 2 nasally 4 my solos and bridges sound so much better w/ metal and other rock
I reversed them when I installed them. It didnt sound right so I asked my bud', he said "You got them in the ****ing wrong order you slimy piece of ****"
Quote by DoTheEvolution
It's worse pissing when you come in from the really cold weather and your penis has shrunken to the size of a coffee stir straw and the piss feels like the blast from a super soaker.
the sound picked up at the bridge is naturally louder therefore the lower output pickup, the 81, is used there. the 85 in the neck adds an element of warmth to the sound. it is higher output so it will match the 81 when used in the neck position.

as far as solos go. for solos using an overdriven guitar sound i use the 81-bridge. for clean solos i use the neck-85, it is sooo damn smooth and creamy.
Well we'll see how it sounds when I get it back. He claims it's much better. He said that is how is used to be set up though, does anyone know anything about that? He's not charging me to switch the pickups because that wasn't the reason I went in there.
If I wanted to switch them back to the original way do I have to solder anything?
No just switch them, they are connected with plugs.
Quote by DoTheEvolution
Really? That's awesome, would it be possible to do with the strings still on it? Also, do I have to worry about the hegiht of the pickups or will they just fall into the same place/height as before?
Just slack the strings (tune down untill they are really loose).
Quote by DoTheEvolution
what about the height of them though? People always talk about adjusting the height, if I just take out the p-ups and change them willt he height change at all?
Quote by YYZ
what about the height of them though? People always talk about adjusting the height, if I just take out the p-ups and change them willt he height change at all?

You could always adjust it again, its not hard.
Quote by DoTheEvolution
I don't even know what it was in the first place, what is the difference anyways? Whats the advantage/disadvantage of having them high or low?
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
EMGs are that way due to one guy.

Personally I prefer the 85/60.

That's what I was trying to ask, do they just put them in that order because some guy did it and then they followed suit for popularity or are they actually meant to be there.
Quote by YYZ
I don't even know what it was in the first place, what is the difference anyways? Whats the advantage/disadvantage of having them high or low?

I think if its higher, it gives you better harmonics and **** because the strings are closer. If its lower it gives you more of a warm sound.
Quote by DoTheEvolution
EMGs can go anywhere, so it's not "Meant" tob e anywhere. Some people like how the 81 has the most output and put it in the bridge so it's the uber-trebliest most bike hella output pickup there is. Personally I prefer the more pronounced mids and chiller output of the 85 in the bridge, and a clean 60 or 60A int he neck.
haha
Well then, I geuss i'm just gonna have to **** around with them a bit to find what I like. I have trouble getting pinch harmonic so I should probably raise them.
Well I just got it back today and I really like how the pickups are set up. The volume stays steady when you switch between them but you still notice the difference between the 2 pickups. You guys should give it a try.
Never heard that it used to be 85 bridge and 81 neck. I don't use EMGS, but I have played many guitars with them in and I love the 81 bridge and 60 neck combo myself. Either way, I hope you find what you're looking for
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
The strings vibrate above the bridge and more above the the neck pickup. so that is why with passive pickups the bridge pickup has a much higher output that the neck. and because the strings vibrate so much above the neck PU you need less output.

dont know if that made sense.

If you swapped the passive PU's it will have a loud neck PU and very soft Bridge PU

I dont know if its the same with EMG's
Member #25 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM ibanez4life SZ! to join

Ibanez SZ320BK, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Statocaster, Laney Cub 12

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
It has more buzz this way though..........like the pickups buzzing, it was pretty quiet the other way......
Your pickups might be too high now, try lowering them a bit and see if it gets rid of the buzz.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
When I hammer on, pull off, slide or tap it doesn't make that strong of a sound. Could that be because the pickup is to low? I just noticed that the bridge pickup is slanted, like, it's high under the EAD strings and low under the GBE strings.