Yay or nay?

I personally do not find them too useful...I mean I want a good "all around" sound but the tweeters in my 112 combo and 2x12 cabinet just seem to amplify hiss and clankety -clank noises...I mean that may slightly enhance the snappy sound of a guy slapping and popping his bass but to me it just amplifies the noise that occurs when I play sloppily or when I get feedback/fretbuzz/hiss/pickup noises/etc...However, I'm still a pretty inexperienced guy with cabs, amps, playing live, and trying to create/find "my sound/tone" so maybe I will learn to appreciate what tweeters do in time, or maybe I'm missing something...

What do you guys think about your cabs with tweeters?

BTW the tweeter in my cab is a Piezo tweeter and its fairly quite as far as hiss goes, but I still dont like it much and am thinking of unplugging it...This wont have an affect on the cab will it?
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jul 18, 2006,
They only really help for slap, and when your friend wants to play guitar through your rig.

I ended up putting in a switch to turn my built in horn off when I didnt need it.
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
that makes sense...what else would they amplify?...they respond to frequencies like 5KHz and up...

maybe I should install a switch in my cab too...I'm gonna look into it.
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
i suppose you could try putting a switch in to turn it off, but i dunno what affect it would have on the rest of the cab
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
^I have been wondering this myself since I got my Fender Rumble 100 Watt, I find that as XeNoCiDe730 said it seems to amplify the annoying/un wanted noises aswell as produce a ton of hissing and I too have thought about getting my dad to help make a switch for it. But I'm not sure about how that might affect the pre-amp, circuit(s) etc and the EQ, any one have any links/know how about this?? it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
Yay or nay?

I personally do not find them too useful...I mean I want a good "all around" sound but the tweeters in my 112 combo and 2x12 cabinet just seem to amplify hiss and clankety -clank noises...I mean that may slightly enhance the snappy sound of a guy slapping and popping his bass but to me it just amplifies the noise that occurs when I play sloppily or when I get feedback/fretbuzz/hiss/pickup noises/etc...However, I'm still a pretty inexperienced guy with cabs, amps, playing live, and trying to create/find "my sound/tone" so maybe I will learn to appreciate what tweeters do in time, or maybe I'm missing something...

What do you guys think about your cabs with tweeters?

BTW the tweeter in my cab is a Piezo tweeter and its fairly quite as far as hiss goes, but I still dont like it much and am thinking of unplugging it...This wont have an affect on the cab will it?

Tweeters help you cover more of the Audio Spectrum, they also add tone colour, much of the tone in modern strings would be lost without them, I've been using horns since the early 70s, I prefer horns to tweeters as they generaly go lower in the frequencty band.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
They help to cut through the mix, believe it or not in a band situation you want those Clicks and hisses. It helps you cut through the mix more. It might sound terrible when playing on your own, But trust me, It'll help when playing with others.
Pedulla MVP5
Gibson Grabber
Warmoth Antigua PJ
Ovation Magnum 1
^I see...you're probably right...I'll hold off on installing the toggle switch for now and I'll wait until my next band practice to find out whether the tweeter will be useful for me or not...

thanks for the input everyone.

<EDIT>
Quote by Monkey_Bassist
^I have been wondering this myself since I got my Fender Rumble 100 Watt, I find that as XeNoCiDe730 said it seems to amplify the annoying/un wanted noises aswell as produce a ton of hissing and I too have thought about getting my dad to help make a switch for it. But I'm not sure about how that might affect the pre-amp, circuit(s) etc and the EQ, any one have any links/know how about this?? it would be appreciated.

Thanks

you can ask metalstillsucks how he did it...send a pm or something...I was on talkbass a while ago and I was searching for help on this...All I gathered was that a toggle (on/off) switch could be purchased from partsexpress.com but I have no idea how to install it yet...I dont even know which toggle switch to buy because there are like 20 different ones on that site...maybe you can make a thread about this on TB or something...
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jul 19, 2006,
what are tweeters?
(sorry if this seems a dumb question but i seriously do not know)
Some Guy?
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
^I see...you're probably right...I'll hold off on installing the toggle switch for now and I'll wait until my next band practice to find out whether the tweeter will be useful for me or not...

thanks for the input everyone.

<EDIT>

you can ask metalstillsucks how he did it...send a pm or something...I was on talkbass a while ago and I was searching for help on this...All I gathered was that a toggle (on/off) switch could be purchased from partsexpress.com but I have no idea how to install it yet...I dont even know which toggle switch to buy because there are like 20 different ones on that site...maybe you can make a thread about this on TB or something...

Hold on a second... I only mess with cheapy old stuff... never my high end musical equipment... I ended up having it done by a guy who mods amps and effects pedals. It was rather cheap though, about $60. I recommend you don't do it yourself due to impedence issues.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Quote by Monkey_Bassist
Thanks
Decent/upmarket setups offer the facility of an attenuator (rotary level control) on the tweeter/horn, attenuators are not your standard VR pot but much heavier duty as they are on the output side of the amplifier after the high pass filter/crossover.
The more you turn up your trebble/prescence the more hiss you will get, that is where the attenuator comes in.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by metalstillsucks
Hold on a second... I only mess with cheapy old stuff... never my high end musical equipment... I ended up having it done by a guy who mods amps and effects pedals. It was rather cheap though, about $60. I recommend you don't do it yourself due to impedence issues.

oh...but my tweeter is a Piezo tweeter which, as I understand it, does not have an ohm load or impedence...But if I do try it I'll seek some professional help...
I put a switch on my horn, which has an ohm load...