i think my tubes are dead cause the right one stoped working and then i played it for like a half hour and the left one stoped working to,it wont make any noise at all now, what do i need to do to fix this

im not gona take it to a store or anythign jyst tell me what i need to know
you should take it to a store, they know what there doing, i wouldnt risk damaging the amp, take it to a store
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I think it's your power tubes.
FlickR
iBanez Rg550 20th Anniversary.
iBanez GRG170DX W/ Dimarzio Steve's Special
VTM 60 Tube Head
Carvin Legacy Vai Cabinet 4x12 Cabinet
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
get new tubes
LSD

"Member #5 of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM AK Guitarist to join."
correct me if im wrong here but arnt there power tubes and preamp tubes? i read there were and theres only 2 tubes in my amp, so you saying " i think its your power tubes" are both those tube power tubes, if so what are preamp tubes

EDIT: btw those tubes in there use to glow orange color but now they dont light up at all i dont know if that helps or not
Last edited by Loser_86 at Jul 18, 2006,
^^ power tubes. what kind of amp you got?
FlickR
VTM 60 Tube Head
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
Triple X 40 EFX ?
FlickR
VTM 60 Tube Head
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
im looking in the amp right now and there are actualy numbers on the amp, im wondering if i would just order these kind, and those are EL34 and 6L6GC,

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsearch?unique=da97c&catalog=thetubestore&et=44bdb084&basket=b%3D5C3c42bfd100f03944bda93a28de4d442bfd14edccf41df486b3f6ea19d43c2b0%26l%3D%26s%3DknNxY1sKG7jfhJrENuJmB44iyTw-

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=thetubestore&query=6L6GC&.autodone=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thetubestore.com%2Fnsearch.html

do i just get one of each of those? but the tubes int he amp right now (contrary to what the amp says) the tubes are both the exact same thing they say tesla el34 37
ok those are the power tubes, get them replaced. the pre amp tubes are in those metal sleaves. simply push them up and turn them till it unlocks, then slide the sleave off to reveal the pre-amp tubes.

YOU need your power tubes replaced.

www.eruotubes.com

i'd go ahead and replace them all with a good set of JJ's. the amp is fixed bias so all you have to do is yank the old ones out and shove the new ones in. only thing you have to be sure of is the phase inveter, wichi is one of the pre-amp tubes. it should be inline with the power tubes and have a smaller sleave. at least it does on my XXX.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
It says the 6L6 is interchangable with EL34's. So just buy the 6L6, but if u want to be on the safe side, take it a store. To have a peace of mind, so i would highly recommend going to a guitar store.
FlickR
VTM 60 Tube Head
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
if you have two then get two, u should replace both. so yea both, take it to a store too, to get reassuance.
FlickR
VTM 60 Tube Head
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
Quote by Loser_86
its not rocket science, id rather do it myself

It's not rocket science, but you clearly don't know what you're doing just yet.

Also, you'll need to bias your amp. Bring it to a shop, and ask them to guide you step by step. Then if you understand what's going on, never go to the shop again.

Also, you say you have two tubes only? Is your amp all-tube? Sounds like it isn't.
alright thanks, buy tubes, remove old tubes, put new tubes in, done, im just wondering what the store would do
please reffer to my post, i have the 2x12 version and have changed the tubes on it myself.

the amp is fixed bias so just pop in new 6l6's.\

i strongly suggest JJ tubes from www.eurotubes.com

much cheaper and great quality.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

yes.

however i'd also suggest going for a full high gain set. imo, they'll sound much better than the stock chinia tubes peavy uses.

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=8&sub_category_id=86

Peavey XXX40 High gain retube kit with 6L6GC's
Price: 73.50
Description: This kit includes a matched pair of the JJ 6L6GC's and four hand picked high gain ECC83S's with one balanced for the phase inverter in V4. Very punchy and full with great definition!
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

oh wait so the 2 big ones are power tubes and the 4 smaller ones are preamp tubes? and your sugesting i trash all the factory ones and put all new ones in?
yes.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

alright man thanks your my new god BTW...about that one balanced for the phase inverter thing....is all i have to do is to line it up with the power tubes (put it in the right spot)?
well the phase inverter is a pre-amp tube. on my tripple X it was inline with the power tubes closer to the back (back being closer to your face if you're looking at it from the back). and the metal sleave holding it was shorter than the others. if its not inline with the power tubes it'll be set off from the othe pre-amp tubes in some way.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

ok, im gona drive you insane with all these questions but i only have 1 more, i just tryed taking a preamp tube out but it wouldnt move, should i pull it harder? i dont want to break anything but iv never even taken the plate off the back befor so i dont know
did you take of the sleave?

if yes then, yeah, just give it a good yank. try wriggling it a little.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

ok, you should be able to push it up, then twist it and it'll slide right off.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565