How long do you all practice on average in a day?
And what DO you practice?
I just need a short opinion. It would help a lot.

Thanks.
i practice religiously for 3 hours day. i practice scales, licks, dexterity exercises for my ring and pinky fingers, sweep picking, arpeggios, bunch of other stuff i can't think of. don't forget a metronome!
LSD

"Member #5 of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM AK Guitarist to join."
4 hours a day, atleast. I usually go through Modes and stuff like that. Then I'll just imrpovise or just work on my melody.
FlickR
iBanez Rg550 20th Anniversary.
iBanez GRG170DX W/ Dimarzio Steve's Special
VTM 60 Tube Head
Carvin Legacy Vai Cabinet 4x12 Cabinet
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
well.. i play for 2 hours a day. i haven't really practiced, practiced. ie- focused on a specific thing and having a planned order. i work on playing songs, although they do involve skills i'm trying to practice.
Excellent.

Keep em coming, I'm kind of just trying to a get a feel for how much I should practice, whether taking it down a bit or upping it.
i play about 2 hours a day. i dont really practice on anything specific i just jam
I play for whatever amount of time, but if I'm TRULY practicing (and not just dicking around), I...

Step 1) 15 minutes - Warm up, various hand stretches, chromatic runs etc.
Step 2)15 minutes - Scales
Step 3)15 minutes - Chords
Step 4)15 minutes - Chord progressions
Step 5)15 minutes - Technical practice on a technical song

Repeat steps 2 through 5 however many hours you feel like practicing.
I feel like I'm kicking my own ass.
I'm playing... including warmup, just short of six hours a day.

1 hour warmup (modes, cromatics, difficult songs to streth)
And then another 4 hours and 45 minutes of sweeping arpeggios, sequences in sixteenths, sextuplets, 32nds and occassionally 64ths, although generally that's stretching it. I run through the modes in certain ways (IE thirds scales, ladder squenences, the Paul Gilbert sequence, and another that i don't have a name for) each for half an hour apiece. I work with blues a lot. I just beat myself into the ground almost every single day, and I just want to take a census on how often everyone ELSE practices to see if mine needs curving.
Whats right for them may not be right for you...You can practice as long as you feel like, as long as you be sure to practice correctly (I.E. Don't form any bad habits or put any extra pressure or strain on your muscles.)
1/2-3 hours. Depends. I practice scales, modes, songs, techniques, etc. I don't have a specific time to practice specific things. I just take however long I need. Meh. lol
not long enough. thats for sure. Have exams coming up.... feeling the heat. 1-2 hours on average, wish i could do more...
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
?about an hour a day. Every second day I do about a 25 to 35 min exercise regiment which I developed over several years by isolating discovered weakness and turning them into strengths.
If it can't withstand the heat of a billion suns then it's worthless
Electric Church
I try to get 2 hours a day in.

15-30min Scales

1hr - 1 1/2hr on songs that the band is playing yes even if I already know how to play them, always figuring out something new to put in them as well as keeping sharp for band practice.

15-30mn or however much longer I can play on new songs you know trying out a new song or two or three.
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
VOX AD100VT combo 2x12 + 2x12cab
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
5-6 hours
I usually do a warmup for 10-15 minutes then improvise for a couple hours interchanged with chord progressions
Generally I get in about 3 hours and up to maybe 8.

Most of my time is working on technique and scales. By scales I DON'T mean
just going up & down scale. The scale work I do usually directly focuses on
a technique or two AND stuff I can use in soloing. For instance, I might practice
diatonic 4ths in every position of the neck. That one's realy good for finger rolls
and inside/outside rapid picking. Also, Diatonic 7th or 13th arpeggios from every
single fret position in the scale. That's good sweep work. They're also the kinds
of things I can directly use in a solo.

Right now, I'm quite taken with Sweeping Pentatonics a la Frank Gambale. That's
good sweeping exercise AND really BIG stretches. Cool stuff as you can really fly
thru pentatonics that way once you start getting it and of course pentatonics are
very useful for solos.
back when i was a youngin' like most of ya'll i would play for about 8 hours a day, 4 hours practicing, 4 hours just jamming, now i try to keep it around 2 or 3, sometimes i'll take a day or 2 off...... after you reach a certain level you realize you don't need to go at it for 8 hours a day.
I just practise till i dont want to anymore. i dont look at the clock and see its 3P.M and play till its exactly 6P.M :S
PSN name = Barmanation
I'll practice anywhere from 30 min, to 2 hrs
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

Well as much as I would love to finger **** a piece of wood for 6-8 hrs a day... I have a life. So I'll get in 1 to 2 hours(2 if im not working, or out.
In memory of the pagan ways...

Bishop of the Houses of the Holy sect of Zeppelinism.

PM the Heartbreaker to join.

"There are no impossible dreams..."-Ozzy Osbourne
2 hours of true practicing

30 minutes warm up exercises
30 minutes on alt picking exercises
30 minutes on tapping
30 minutes on sweeping

my metronome technique helps to, ill do 25 minutes at 60, then 5 minutes at 64. the next day ill do the same exept the last 5 minutes ill do at 68,etc,etc. i do this 4 21 days then on the 22nd day ill get it up to speed

i modified some technique i heard on ug
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join
1-2 hours a day i useds to practice around three untill i got a job. so i can get a second guitar and practice twice as better! :O
For you people who get over 5 hours a day, how many hours a week do you work, do you go to school, and do you have other commitments/hobbies? I'm just curious because I find it very difficult to get in a long practice time, more like 30 min or an hour here and there...and it sucks major ass. Maybe engineering will be nicer for me this fall and give me time.
just a quick question about practicing, does everything have to be up, down, up, down? i was watching a petrucci vid and he said that this was really important. i don't really see why though if i can just move down an ajacent string with just two down strokes.
Yeah Im an athlete and I have summer school so its hard for me to find time without burning myself out.

So maybe around 2 hours a day? But at like 30 minute increments
Ok. To answer your question, I'm 16 and I don't have a job. And guitar is my biggest commitment, so that's why I have so much time to practice. I've also found that's in nearly impossible to get in good practice time with a devoted girlfriend who wants to talk on the phone for no less than three hours a day.

Which is why it's a really good thing that we broke up not to long ago. You wouldn't believe the freedom I'm experiencing. And so, I sit in my room and practice. And hopefully one day, it'll pay off.
Quote by skybl4ck
just a quick question about practicing, does everything have to be up, down, up, down? i was watching a petrucci vid and he said that this was really important. i don't really see why though if i can just move down an ajacent string with just two down strokes.

If you are practicing alternate picking, yes.

If you are practicing downstrokes or upstrokes specifically, or economy or sweep picking, then no.
I usually play 2-8(Somedays when I'm ultra-bored even more) hours a day

I have a notebook that I write what I need to work on for the next day.

I usually start with a 30 minute warmup/excercise and then whatever I thought I needed work on from the previous night. Then later, I do theory study.
UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin

Pm me and I'll give you a link to God's forum! It still needs mods

62% of teens smoke pot, put this in your profile if you like lesbians

Quote by lespaulrocks39
For you people who get over 5 hours a day, how many hours a week do you work, do you go to school, and do you have other commitments/hobbies? I'm just curious because I find it very difficult to get in a long practice time, more like 30 min or an hour here and there...and it sucks major ass. Maybe engineering will be nicer for me this fall and give me time.

I'm married, work, have a house....

I guess I just make the time. I keep a guitar at work and go in earlier. While I'm
doing other stuff I can usually get 1-2hrs in in the morning. When I get home later
I can usually get in another 2-3. To a certain extent you make the time if you want
to do something. But, It does depend on how much you're filled your life with other
"have-to's".
I dont practice, i'll pick up my guitar and just jam.. but i dont sit there just running up and down scales, i usually just run through songs i know, work on my voice, and jam with other people :/

i play everyday, but sometimes for 30 minutes or less even :/ sometimes for a few hours
Practicing too much can also take a toll on your fingers and muscles. Guitar practice/workout can be the same as any other workout. If you workout too much everyday it can take a toll on you.

I say 1 hour of Correct practice is much better then 3 hours of sloppy practicing.
Current Equipment:

Ibanez SZ 520
Peavey Bandit Selling
Pro Co Turbo RAT Selling
Digitech RP300A Selling

PM For Details.
Quote by headrulz101
Practicing too much can also take a toll on your fingers and muscles. Guitar practice/workout can be the same as any other workout. If you workout too much everyday it can take a toll on you.

I say 1 hour of Correct practice is much better then 3 hours of sloppy practicing.

Probably more like 10 minutes of correct is better than 3 hours of sloppy.

Anyway, I can practice for hours and hours and hours without much of a toll
being taken. If your practice has a lot of excessive tension, then yeah, you can
hurt yourself and should stop when you feel pain. That's really a signal to look
at what you're doing.

When you're focused on being relaxed and fluid, practicing a lot shouldn't be a
problem and that's really a large part of what correct practice is about.
Quote by edg
Probably more like 10 minutes of correct is better than 3 hours of sloppy.

Anyway, I can practice for hours and hours and hours without much of a toll
being taken. If your practice has a lot of excessive tension, then yeah, you can
hurt yourself and should stop when you feel pain. That's really a signal to look
at what you're doing.

When you're focused on being relaxed and fluid, practicing a lot shouldn't be a
problem and that's really a large part of what correct practice is about.

completely true, 10 minutes of precision will do more for you than 3 hours of cr@p..... and yes i COULD practice for 8 hours a day, but i've gone through stints in the past where if i did that i ended up getting burnt out and feeling uninspired for a week or so, so i'd rather limit myself and always have the inspiration there.
Yeah, that was a big problem for me, if I practiced for more than 3 hours, the next day I didn't really want to pick it up. A good 2 hours on technique is good for me. Then I would just screw around on acoustic or classical or study theory.
~Long live the 6-string~
Quote by edg
I guess whatever works for you. I've found I've pushed my development
boundaries out onto so many fronts that there's just not enough hours in the
day to be able to work on them all. So, I don't really worry about burning out
on anything too much.

I like your PRS custom my friend.
Lookin good.