Page 1 of 3
Alright, I've been wasting my time deciding what my next guitar will be, and I've decided that a flying V would be best. This guitar would not need to be versatile, only for straight up metal ala priest, CoB, rusty cooley, you get the idea. I would like it to have a n original floyd rose locking trem and tuners, or kahler, whichever is the best.

I've basically been looking at the jackson king v's, dean v's, and esp. I don't really feel like paying custom shop prices anymore. My budget is anywhere from $1000 to $1750, though I suppose I could pay a little more if it is worth it.

Any advice would be great.
randy rhoads V's are sick but they jump from price like
300 to 500 to 3 g's i dunno look them up, i mean im just in love with that guitar
Gear

Johnson strat copy
epi les paul jr
epi les paul studio
Ibanez gax 75
crate 10 watt
crate fxt 120
danelectro honeytone
marshall 8200 bichorus
behringer 400watt cab
You're gonna have a hard time finding a V with a Floyd and 24 frets that's suitable for decent metal playing at that price range. I would say Dean would probably be your best bet.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

i suggest the RR Vs from jackson, those things are badass, and easy to play sitting down.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by .Moneen.
Jackson RR5

That has no tremelo...I would have to go with at least the rr1. For anyone who has played one, does one tail being longer than the other kind of offset the guitar?

I guess I'd be willing to pay the extra $300 for the kv2, I kind of like the symmetrical look more.
Quote by lespaulrocks39
That has no tremelo...I would have to go with at least the rr1. For anyone who has played one, does one tail being longer than the other kind of offset the guitar?

not for me
Im the only person who hates jackson RR guitars... they look like a flying v's retarded little brother..

Get a jackson king v.. they look so much better.
Quote by t.t deville
I have read somewere on the internet that Gibson Les Pauls are getting discontinued...is it true?
I find the Randy Rhodes V to be a very unconfortable shape. The Dean's are a little more comfy on the legs and waist.
- FJ

If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

I can't find prices for the higher-end deans though. But on the other hand I haven't really looked.
Quote by soul_taker
ever thought about buying a used guitar?

you could prolly get the LTD Alexi

they suck to... a rip off od a jackson guitar that looks ****ty.. and they come with one EMG hz!! HZ!! how can they be so cheap? the guitar costs 2000 dollars!!!!!!
Quote by t.t deville
I have read somewere on the internet that Gibson Les Pauls are getting discontinued...is it true?
Dean V FTW.

<Is a Dean freak.
Quote by Keef-is-king
Seinfeld: The Video Game

It'd be a game about nothing. But it would be fantastic, better than the Sims by far because there would be more jews.
Well I've got an epiphone les paul right now w/ emg 81/85, and it's not bad, but I hate the upper fret access, it cannot allow a trem w/o routing, which would look retarded on a les paul btw, and quite frankly, I want a nice guitar that will play just as well 20 years down the road.
What about Ibanez RG? S? from prestige series... The best fr ever, 24 frets, ultra thin necks for fast solos, you can put the better pickups and gooooooo! :-)
Quote by Andrewsonfire
they suck to... a rip off od a jackson guitar that looks ****ty.. and they come with one EMG hz!! HZ!! how can they be so cheap? the guitar costs 2000 dollars!!!!!!

Alexi prefers the hz because the tone it quite different from their actives. You might say it is more trebly and less hot than the actives, and gives him a tone more suitable for his music. I've got an esp w/ them and it sounds pretty good, though the body is mahogany and feels way too light to be...but anyways I'm going off topic.

I'm getting some miracle man pups for my esp, but I'm still unsure of what pups I will get in this one.
Quote by incockgnito
What about Ibanez RG? S? from prestige series... The best fr ever, 24 frets, ultra thin necks for fast solos, you can put the better pickups and gooooooo! :-)

The ibanez wizard necks feel too thin for me. I bet they would be fast, but they feel awkward to me. My les paul custom's neck is pretty comfortable, but it could be thinner. On the record, I "****ing" hate fender necks. I'm not sure what profile they are, but I ****ing hate them.
We've kinda drifted off topic here, he wants a Flying V style guitar.
- FJ

Yeah, I noticed people were drifting off topic, though I did consider an sg or a soloist, it just seems I'm in need of a v.
Quote by lespaulrocks39
Alexi prefers the hz because the tone it quite different from their actives. You might say it is more trebly and less hot than the actives, and gives him a tone more suitable for his music. I've got an esp w/ them and it sounds pretty good, though the body is mahogany and feels way too light to be...but anyways I'm going off topic.

I'm getting some miracle man pups for my esp, but I'm still unsure of what pups I will get in this one.

He uses a gain booster in his amp rig or w/e anyways.

Have you every played the LTD Alexi? Damn it plays like a beast. Perfect everything. Amazing fret access, Original Floyd Rose, the pinstripes are so sexy. Oh man get it, you will not regret it. I wish i had $1500 to buy that guitar.
Quote by DoTheEvolution
It's worse pissing when you come in from the really cold weather and your penis has shrunken to the size of a coffee stir straw and the piss feels like the blast from a super soaker.

And it'll only cost you about 800 bucks.

Which means you can save 200-1000 dollars, which equals better amp later on.

The ESP DV8R is awesome, simply amazing.
haha
He wants a trem guys, common'.
Quote by DoTheEvolution
It's worse pissing when you come in from the really cold weather and your penis has shrunken to the size of a coffee stir straw and the piss feels like the blast from a super soaker.
Ah ****, sorry man. I don't really like trems on V's. Anyways, if you want a trem, don't get the DV's.
Gibson Flying V. Just upgrade the pickups for your sound. Metallica played knock offs when they made Kill Em All. So why not give it a try?

edit: didnt read about you wanting trem. Yea I would settle for the Randy model.
Quote by altarofdemise
He wants a trem guys, common'.

He said he'd like based on which is best.

This is the best.
haha
Still, if he wants a trem, we should find him something with a trem, to me, a guita without a trem, just isn't a guitar. Well, no, but still, let's find him one with a trem.
the esp ltd signature models have plenty of V's and so does jackson.
malmsteen on jerry c "you are a rising force"
I'd never really looked at the mustaine models. The specs for the ltd version are pretty impressive for the price. Neck-thru construction, and some pretty nice hardware too. Anyone had any experience with his signature livewire pups?

Is there an advantage to having string-thru construction over fixed bridge?

As far as upgrading my amp goes, not necessary. I've got a dsl100 half-stack, and a 5150 combo. And an epi valve junior. And a crate, that for whatever reason, I can get kickass metal tones out of. Don't ask.
I prefer string thru. I just find it really easy. I believe you get more sustain from it to.
Page 1 of 3