Uhh... I think it like what note or chord its in like Children of the revoloution by t-rex is in the key of E
Sometimes is it the first or last chord. Usually, what chord the song resolves to. Or what chord most riffs in the song resolve to.

A tedious way of figuring this out would be to take each chord and see what key they all fit in, but I think it's best to trust your ear and listen to what chord the song resolves to.
well its the note that it goes back to most often, its like, if u learn your chord progressions then you know that like if its F G F G C, than the key is C. something like that, maybe not like that exactly but most of the time u can just listen to it
Gear

Johnson strat copy
epi les paul jr
epi les paul studio
Ibanez gax 75
crate 10 watt
crate fxt 120
danelectro honeytone
marshall 8200 bichorus
behringer 400watt cab
Most often you can figure it out auraly by the chord that seems like every other chord revolves around. If you know how to build scales, a major scale, for example, you would know what type or chord goes with what degree of the scale. You can figure out what is the 1st degree of that chord progression and that would be your key. If you had a progression that went F#min, G#min, C#min, D#dim, E,you could figure out that those were the ii, iii, vi, and viidim chords of E major. Or it could be in E's parallel minor, C#min. It would have the same Key Signature on paper, you would have to deduce with your ears what chord the other ones are resolving to.
Quote by DaliLama
Most often you can figure it out auraly by the chord that seems like every other chord revolves around. If you know how to build scales, a major scale, for example, you would know what type or chord goes with what degree of the scale. You can figure out what is the 1st degree of that chord progression and that would be your key. If you had a progression that went F#min, G#min, C#min, D#dim, E,you could figure out that those were the ii, iii, vi, and viidim chords of E major. Or it could be in E's parallel minor, C#min. It would have the same Key Signature on paper, you would have to deduce with your ears what chord the other ones are resolving to.

habajawahh?

What i do now is, well, say a progression is E, D, E, G. I would call it key of E, because everything goes back to it.

Am i right?
Actually the G would make it E minor but if you're going to play an E major chord with it that would be the E blues scale because you would have a major and minor third in the same sentence. G and the G# in the E chord
The main point of course is that you go back to some kind of E, which you have been doing. The idea though is to know what the right chord is, so that you now that playing E major with G is a certain musical trick you can use to get a certain cool sound. But all E major to G is is a Major I and a minor III so you could do the same trick with D and and F, A and C, G and A#. Notice the one note that moves down a half step when you do those chords, that is the Major 3rd of the I chord (the one which decides the key) going down to a minor 3rd (which isn't supposed to happen, which is totally gay, cause it rules) in another chord so that it has support and doesn't sound strange, just bittersweet and very beautiful
Quote by Bmm386
habajawahh?

Thats what I understood from that as well.