Righteo, after much thought I'm finally beginning to finalise the details for my rig upgrade. Provided I've got the money together, at the end of the year my amp will be upgraded to a Vox AC30 and my guitar to a Telecaster.

I've been looking at the different types of Tele's and over here (Australia) there's quite a large jump between a MIM (around $850) to a highway one (around $1600) and a MIA ($2400)... in Aussie dollars obviously.

Because the amp is rather pricey, I've ruled out a MIA unless I can find a nice second hand one. I'm not really turned on by the HW1's, and I've found it fustrating looking at MIMs because I'll find one that plays nice, but I wont like the colour, or the other way around (I'm picky about colour, and am not keen to repaint). I'm not planning to buy a new guitar until the end of the year, so I'm sure if I keep searching I'll eventually find the right one for me... but recently I've been getting interested in the MIJ fenders too.

Are they similar quality to the MIMs? I know there was a time period where the Japanese factory was supposedly making guitars of better quality than the American made ones, but I'm guessing these guitars are hard to come by and are very expensive... but what about the others? How do I go about buying a MIJ fender? Does this sound like a good option for me?

I've been keeping my eye on an ebay seller who seems to be selling MIJ used fenders, with good feedback etc, for a decent price. Good clear photographs and gives serial numbers too... I'm considering buying from him, but how can I be certain it's not a fake of some sort, and without playing it how will I know if it's good or not?

I'm certain I want to look into MIJ Fenders a bit more, so any help is appreciated!
I have an 80's MIJ Strat and its awesome! My dad and i compared it to an American Vintage 62 re issue Strat and they were equal.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
MIJ Teles are immense, I've played a load, been close to buying a load, really amazing guitars. Especially the reissue ones, like '62s and '52s, try some out if you can.

But yea, they're amazing for the price, great guitars.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
If you've got a nice amp it should be fine

Play it and make sure you like the feel first though
^I'm finding it very hard to find some to play though. The local music shops I've tried don't seem to have any, or if they do they're not somewhere where I can see them!

I've seen a few on ebay, but I'm thinking its too much risk to buy one from there if I haven't played it. I know MIM's are hit and miss, you get some great ones and then some really shonky ones... is it the same with MIJ?
thers a place in melbourne that stcoks jap fenders

where are u?
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
Where abouts in Aus are you? Im in Melb and bought a MIJ tele the other day, a 93-94 for $1100 with some other ****e.

clicky clicky
did u buy it from a place in sandringham?
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
Quote by odway
^I'm finding it very hard to find some to play though. The local music shops I've tried don't seem to have any, or if they do they're not somewhere where I can see them!

I've seen a few on ebay, but I'm thinking its too much risk to buy one from there if I haven't played it. I know MIM's are hit and miss, you get some great ones and then some really shonky ones... is it the same with MIJ?

All Jap Teles I've played were amazing.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Cocnut Rag
did u buy it from a place in sandringham?

Nope, Fitzroy, on Brunswick st. Can't remember the name off the top of my head.
I'm in WA... Perth more specifically. I've mainly been trying out the MIM telecasters, it wont be until the end of the year until I buy a guitar, but I just want to get a feel for them now. I've tried a couple of American made ones, very nice... the MIMs some have been great, others very average. It's only recently that I've been thinking about a MIJ, and so far I havent seen any out on display. Maybe I should ask?
You can ask the shop owner/saleman to take your number and give you a call if one comes in. Most will if you ask with a smile.
Thats the one. The guy I delt with was a very decent guy too
Sweet, thanks for the suggestions. I'll go in and give my number to a few of the shops I think and see if something comes in that I like.
Would anyone trust ebay or buying direct from Japan?
Well, if you're set on japanese tele's, i'm sure they'll turn out fine. HOWEVER - if you want a tele that in my opinion is superior to many of the tele's on the market today, look into the swampkaster t, which is bill lawrence's take on the telecaster. It's got bill lawrence pickups, and you can choose the pickups and pickup arrangement on the guitars at aampsguitarelectricstore.com. Just something to think about.
Quote by drevil814
Be a man and tell her off. If that doesn't work, a roundhouse kick to the face will.

Quote by flesh fries
im not racist....ive got a color tv