Not exactly sure if this is the right forum, but it seemed to be the best fitting. Anyways.... My band has played a few different shows at parties and stuff, but now we are going to be trying to get some gigs at bars and places like that, and i was wondering first off, if most places have their own P.A. system and second off, do you have to mic up the amps/drums in small venues such as bars? Thanx in advance.
Quote by Toilets
Emus are actually one of my favourites out of the 7 flightless species of birds. Why has everyone got this problem with them?

Quote by TheKeep21
whats ur guyz fave band. mine is lead zepelion or something like that. the guitar player of them is so good.
Some bars do have their own P.A., but the ones I have seen at bars are usually very out-dated and sound terrible. You should seriously look into investing in your own. A lot of the groups I have worked with have the Mackie 808S. It's a powered mixer with 8 inputs and is only about $800. Then just get your speakers and you are set. I've worked with two bands who frequently play bars:

1. Acoustic duo- We were an acoustic duo with a hard edge. The singer/guitarist used the Mackie to run his mic and acoustic guitar into it. We didn't bother micing the drums because it wasn't needed.

2. Full Rock Band- In this group, we use the Mackie as a 2nd power amp and mic EVERYTHING into a Yamaha MG16. It gets a little loud at times, but sounds good in the right settings.

It all depends on what you have in your ensemble and what the venue is like. In the acoustic duo, we played an outside pool bar that had a glass wall near it. So sound would bounce if it was too loud. However when we played in door shows, we could turn up louder without being overbearing since the walls were brick.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Alright cool, thx dutch.
Quote by Toilets
Emus are actually one of my favourites out of the 7 flightless species of birds. Why has everyone got this problem with them?

Quote by TheKeep21
whats ur guyz fave band. mine is lead zepelion or something like that. the guitar player of them is so good.