i was looking to build some effects pedal because, well, i'm bored. i'd love to build a amp but i'd rather start with some effects so i dont kill my self.
the ones i was looking building were
- a ibanez TS808 true bypass
-a vox clyde mccoy wah
now what i want to know is
-how? (like is there a sort of oder everything needs to be done or just start at the input and do everything between the output)
-how much? (on average)
-Where? (in australia can i get parts?)

I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
How - You can start wherever/however you want. Although, I find it easiest to plan things out.

Figure out how you want to assemble your circuit. On a PCB, perf board, etc. Second, figure out what kind of enclosure you're going to be using. Then figure out where you want to mount everything. Ie, mount the jacks, stomp switch, pots, etc and see how much space you have. work around that space (that space might be very small).

Start from there and work outwards (it's typically easier to start from the input and work towards the output though).

How much - depends on how you got (I mean whether or not you already have a soldering iron, solder, power drills, etc). But you could build a pedal for about... around $20-35 on average. That's including the enclosure.

Where - I dunno. If you can't find a place online, I think there are links in the stickies somewhere, try browsing through the stickies for online electronics mechants.
Last edited by greenbox at Jul 19, 2006,
well i'd have metal to make the enclosure myself and i have the tools to do everything. which would be better for a pedal? PCB or Perf?
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
oh and i wanna remove the neck pickup of my RG to put in another guitar. how would i go about this? just follow the wire and unsolder? and get a wiring diagram to put it in the other guitar?
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
PCB would be easier and smaller, but unless you know how to make them, it'd be alot easier to buy one online (Tonepad sells them for about... $11). They're especially easy since it's basically plug and solder. Perf boards would require a bit more planning out, and might take up a little more space. But since you can make your own enclosure, it's not too big of a deal then.

I'd say, make most of the pedal first, then fabricate an enclosure around it (basically). That way you're not constricted to space.

An as far as removing the neck pickup, you got the idea. Just follow the wire, and unsolder (or clip if you're feeling lazy). Then follow a wiring diagram on how to wire it into another guitar.
Last edited by greenbox at Jul 19, 2006,
If you do a tubescreamer for your first build, get the PCB. Its a little bit more complex and the PCB would make it a lot easier. Welcome to the pedal build world!