Howdy. My music assesment for this term is to write a short classical piece. Being a rock/funk/metal guitarist I feel a bit like a fish out of water venturing into it. I looked through the lessons here and found nothing, so I thought I'd come here. If anyone has any links to some good sites for information about progressions/basslines/suitable scales that would be handy.

What scales are best to use for my melodies? Tips on progressions, basslines, melody ideas and any other handy tips would be really helpful.
ESP H-300 (EMG81/85)
Ibanez RG570
Ashton VP30
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CE-5
Boss DS-2
Behringer EQ-700
Member #12 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
Mr T of the Avatar A-Team.
well you should listen to some yngwie malmsteen
he combines metal speed and classical music
my tips for you is
the harmonic minor, emphasis on the phrygian mode, you got some trills (like quick hammer ons and pull offs that last a bit), and also theres the diminished scale

download far beyond the sun by yngwie
and black star
Yeah, I have those songs. I have to control myself with speed for this, but thanks alot for the tips, I'm gunna check out those scales.
ESP H-300 (EMG81/85)
Ibanez RG570
Ashton VP30
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CE-5
Boss DS-2
Behringer EQ-700
What do you mean by "Classical" piece? If you are going to do a real classical (referring to the actual classical era) piece it would be in the style of Mozart or Hadyn. I highly recomend that you not use the Phrygian mode as the key of a song if it is a classical piece, and even if it is Baroque. Start with something in a major key, a I V IV progression would be fine. Mozart uses the minor 3rd and then goes to a major third quite alot, it is almost used as a leading tone.

It all depends on what type of classical piece you are doing, Phrygian=not a good idea, only for the V chord. What I mean is don't write a song in a Phrygian key
~Long live the 6-string~
I suspect it will in the style of the real classical era, as we've looked at some Mozart in class. The minimum requirements are that the piece has a bassline & melody, and I'll probably do some harmonies for the melody, any tips for those?
ESP H-300 (EMG81/85)
Ibanez RG570
Ashton VP30
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CE-5
Boss DS-2
Behringer EQ-700
some nice progessions I use when writing classical orientated sounds would be
---------0----------------1----------------5---------------4------
------1----1----------3----3-----------5----5----------3---3---
---4----------4----4----------4-----5----------5----4---------4-
---------------------------------------------------------------------
-0------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------4----------------1----------------0-------------
Another would be
e---------5------------6--------------3----------------1--------
b-------6---6--------8---8--------5----5----------3----3------
g-----7-------7----7-------7---6----------6----2----------2---
d--0-------------0------------0---------------0---------------0-
Quote by bradbradbrad
I suspect it will in the style of the real classical era, as we've looked at some Mozart in class. The minimum requirements are that the piece has a bassline & melody, and I'll probably do some harmonies for the melody, any tips for those?

the real classical era? wtf? Yes, the classical era of classical music was what he's referring to. I don't recall a Mozart piece that used Phrygian.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
He got that from when I said real classical era, becauase he could have been referring it as a global term. But anyways, Mozart's pieces were mostly in a major key.So now, since you are doing a classical era piece, I would definatly not use to libriumbums ideas because the are very influenced by Bach ( I actuallly thing it is the same progressions Bach's Prelude in D) and Bach is a baroque composer. I was listening to mozarts, Ave Verum Corpus, and I noticed alot of I-V stuff and alot of minor 10 color tones leading to the major 10 ( minor 3rd an octave up) So he was on D maj, went to A maj, came back to D, the when he came back to A, he switched keys and did the I-V in A. Try listening to one of his songs, that would help you the most.
~Long live the 6-string~
Last edited by mesaandrew at Jul 20, 2006,