When is enough, enough? Your sitting there writing a song and it just seems like its dragging on, but you still have more to say. What do you do?.
What the hell is the internet?
I'm not sure what you mean, but you could consider keeping the best parts only?
Quote by Pharoah
Can God create a hot dog so hot even he couldn't eat it?

Lyke omg D@ @p0OcpLpSYe.
Quote by Guglet
When is enough, enough? Your sitting there writing a song and it just seems like its dragging on, but you still have more to say. What do you do?.

I don't wanna seem like an ass (but i do have this "problem" too). Honestly, if it seems like its dragging on, then there is obviously something you don't like about it, because if you love every minute, it could go on forever and you wouldn't really mind.

Try to pinpoint the areas you don't like/need work and go from there.

A song is never too long when you love it.
Quote by Guglet

You can try a few different things but sometimes you just have to can it and place it on a shelf in your cupboard and come back to it in a few years or so. My cupboard is full of these cans?. some as old as 33 years.
If it can't withstand the heat of a billion suns then it's worthless
Electric Church
the worst thing you can do is overwrite a song.

basically, try to convey the emotion and the message. the story itself is less important, the details aren't always necessary. there's always a way to condense or extend the wordage of what you're saying while making it more clever..

"i want a relationship and everything bad that comes with it"
or
"come pick me up, take me out, **** me up, steal my records, screw all my friends, they're all full of ****, with a smile on your face.. I wish you would."

it makes sense, right? but it's just a different way to say it.
Just keep going until you are done expressing yourself. Length of a song doesn't matter in my opinion, as long as it gets what you want to say through.

Just remember that what you leave out of a song is usually just as important as what you put in it.

But as said above, don't overwrite it. If you overwrite it, the song will seem to drag on and some people might be waiting for it to end instead of wanting more.
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
Just keep going until you are done expressing yourself. Length of a song doesn't matter in my opinion, as long as it gets what you want to say through.

Just remember that what you leave out of a song is usually just as important as what you put in it.

Length can be a huge factor if the song isn't dynamic. If you repeat the same thematic things over and over, it drags.

The song has to constantly move forward and resolve itself by the end, that's a challenge of writing good music. My songs tend to be between 3 and 4.5 minutes long, because anything longer to me is just encumbering the listener.
Quote by pratt121
Length can be a huge factor if the song isn't dynamic. If you repeat the same thematic things over and over, it drags.

The song has to constantly move forward and resolve itself by the end, that's a challenge of writing good music. My songs tend to be between 3 and 4.5 minutes long, because anything longer to me is just encumbering the listener.

That's true as well...

*Cough*And Justice For All*Cough*...well for me
I'm not saying a long song can't be amazing -- The Mars Volta do it and I love it.

But if it's the same verse/chorus/bridge structure the entire song, it's not going to come with my endorsement. It needs to MOVE.
i often find that the best thing i can do for a song is to put it away for a while. that might mean i go take a nap and come back in 2 hours, or that might mean it gets put away for a couple days. i have one song ive been putting of for over 6 months. i love the beginning, but every time i pick it up i cant find the right way to continue it. i dont want to force it, so i just put it away again. other times i know that kinda forcing it will be best for the song, so i sit down and make myself work out things that will sound good and rely on what i can do to finish the song instead of random inspiration. you just need to know how you work and how you can best achieve results. its different for every person, but youll figure out what works for you as you continue to write.