When you are playing do you have to have the pick/plectrum over the pick ups or can you just hit the string anywhere? Does it have to be over one of the pick ups? Thanks in advance!
also another question. On acoustic sometimes you have to hit the strings with up and down strokes. Do you have to do this on an electric guitar? Thanks again in advance (I know im a dumbass)
It can be anywhere because the pickups catch the vibration of the strings. As for the second part, it's choice and comfort, whatever you prefer.
UG RPG - Big Band Jazz Group
Buckethead4Prez - String Bass

PM me to Join
You can pick anywhere, and yes you pick up and down on electrics as well it's called alternate picking.
If he was picking individual notes then yes it would be alternate picking. But I imagine the thread starter meant up and down strokes when playing chords, which is of course alternate strumming. Which, as you say, is the same for both electric and acoustic.
Not nessicarily true.

Though, yes, you technically can hit the strings anywhere, where you hit the strings makes a huge difference in sound. For example, sinch RHCP's are so well-known I'll use them as an example. On the beginning to If You Have to Ask, I strum as close to my fretting hand as possible; this gives a dry, trebely, stratchy sound like the recording. For a song like Soul to Squeeze, you here a real twangy sound on the intro. I play this by picking close to the bridge which gives it a brighter, trebley sound. Usually I just play around the pickups or where the soundhole would be on an acoustic.

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
I play on a stratocaster, and personally, I choose to pick between the middle and bridge pickups because it puts my palm in a preferable position to palm mute.
Quote by Bryan52803
Not nessicarily true.

Though, yes, you technically can hit the strings anywhere, where you hit the strings makes a huge difference in sound. For example, sinch RHCP's are so well-known I'll use them as an example. On the beginning to If You Have to Ask, I strum as close to my fretting hand as possible; this gives a dry, trebely, stratchy sound like the recording. For a song like Soul to Squeeze, you here a real twangy sound on the intro. I play this by picking close to the bridge which gives it a brighter, trebley sound. Usually I just play around the pickups or where the soundhole would be on an acoustic.

Bry

amen
Where you hit the strings makes a difference in the tonality of the pitches created. To best have an explanation simply pick up the guitar and strum toward the neck and then toward the bridge. Toward the bridge it tends to sound more 'clunky' where-as the tone thins out toward the neck.
Originally posted by TMH88
Im not trying to brag or anything, but im pretty good for only having been playing a month. I play about 1-2 hours every day, about 35 days strait....

Yay for 35 day months!
you can pluck the strings any where they will ring out, where every they are comfortable, as for the up and down question, it just depends on the rythem of the song, some songs are just down, some are both up and down