I have seen loads of different ways of positioning your right hand, i was wondering which is best, in terms of manouver-ability, look, technique (being able to do pinch harmonics ect.) and able to play chords and pick single strings effectively. I at the moment place my hand like this >>>
(not my hand but near exactly how i hold it)
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
To me there no best way to do all that...
I have a friend that plays guitar, and he dosin't have the picking hand at thye same place i do, nor the same way... He can pinch Harmonic and Play chords ect. as good as i can...

Just try a few different ways and pick which is is most comfortable....

For me it all depends, when i play chords and rhymth or palm mutre its all different than when i play solo's and riffs...

It really depends on you. How you feel comfortable playings... there's many ways, like I said before try some a couple.
ESP Horizon FM Standard
Spider II line 6 30 watt
Uber Metal - line 6 effect
I tend to hold my hand similar to the guy in the pic most of the time and i use a finger or 2 to rest my hand or I might rest my palm on the bridge sometimes. I haven't quite figured out which technique is best for me yet.
Dave Tither
Quote by W4T3V3R
I have seen loads of different ways of positioning your right hand, i was wondering which is best, in terms of manouver-ability, look, technique (being able to do pinch harmonics ect.) and able to play chords and pick single strings effectively. I at the moment place my hand like this >>>
(not my hand but near exactly how i hold it)

That pictures indicates a hand that looks to be anchored on the guitar in order
to steady the hand for picking the right strings.

I would strongly recommend you keep your hand off the guitar when learning to
pick. Forget about palm muting and harmonics for the time being. Your first
order of business should be to learn to pick well. When your hand is steadied
on the guitar you will tend to ignore development of your arm control. If you
ignore that, you will find playing more demanding stuff out of your reach. With
you hand off the guitar, you will forced to learn it. It will seem harder at first,
but its well worth the time to do it right at the beginning.
Dont get me wrong, i can pick well but the picture was to show how i would pick for things like intro to Paradise city or Sweet child O Mine, its usually only for chords that i change to that same position but not resting on the guitar.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.