Poll: Online or In-store?
Poll Options
View poll results: Online or In-store?
17 46%
In-Store
20 54%
Voters: 37.
Obviously it pays to try out an amp/guitar/pedal etc. in a shop first before you buy, but do you tend to buy the product in the store and suffer the higher prices, or are you okay with trying in-store, walking out and buying it online to save yourself some money?

The problem I have is most of the music shops around me are all a lot more expensive than online shops (i.e. GAK). Is it worth it to buy in-store?

Discuss...
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
In my experience with GAK, the guitar they sent me was set up better than the one I played in-store. ANd even if you do try out the instrument or pedal in store, you usually play a floor model, not the one you end up buying.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
yeah ! totally agrree with u
i bought online my first guitar and amp
and my amp is dodgy its a marshall mg but sounds like its on its last breath, and my guitar, compared to the one at the store looks old and ****
really annoyed, but cant do anything so yeah
Online from reputable guys.

Buying an amp "new" in a store doesnt necessarily give you a NEW amp. I will use guitarcenter as an example. You dont know how long that amp has been on the floor or how many guys have played it. Ive purchased a new amp from GC and the tubes crapped out on me in 3 months. Ive bought used amps online, with NO scratches, nicks, tears, anything with brand new tubes for half the price of the new amps and never had problems with them.

You just need to be careful who you buy stuff from. I rather buy a 1-year old "used" amp online with new tubes than a "new" amp that has been sitting on the floor of GC for a year.

They are basically the same age, only you dont know how many idiots were playing with the one at GC and how much wear the tubes have on them.

I have purchased all my Mesa's (Dual Rec, Rectoverb, F-50, Nomad55, and Tremoverb) online in perfect mint condition and never had a problem with a single one of them. I saved maybe 3000 bucks between all of them by not paying "new" prices.

If I ever had to buy an amp in store, I would make sure they were shipped a brand new one that I was purchasing.
Are you agreeing with me or timi_hendrix? Because it sounds like you're saying buying in-store is better, whereas timi favours buying online.

I guess it's just me buy when I go to a guitar shop, guitar in hand and try out maybe 3 or 4 amps then just walk out I feel bad.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Online.

I loves me some Thomann.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Vantage
how about trying at the store and ordering online?

that's what i did

Thats the best way to go. Make sure you love the amp at the store and its what you want, then get one in better condition and cheaper online.
I don't buy anything that produces tone online. Hell, I'm even skeptical about buying parts and building a custom guitar because I don't know if I'll like the final product tonally, which is the biggest factor for me. And there are variations between the same guitars. I'm very picky when it comes to tone. I have sat down with two guitars - same make, model, model year, just different colors - and heard differences in the tone. Why? Because wood used to be a living thing and no two pieces of wood are the same. So, taking the chance with buying something online isn't worth it to me. And there are enough music stores in my area (at least 6) that I have a pretty good selection to choose from.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jul 19, 2006,
I was walking aruond in london and i asked a guy at teh guitar shop if the price was at all negotiable on this 130£ Zoom G2.1u and he just said no, and i was like wtf, i mean surely he could knock a couple of pounds off it. I got the Zoom G2.1u the next day from Gak for 90£. Yes the difference is that much!
Try instore, buy online.

Be sure to have some sort of insurance. And make sure the place you buy from has a GOOD RETURN POLICY.
i've only ever bought a pedal online. all my basses have been bought from stores/people i know. but i might do a 'try in store then buy online' thing sometime.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
my music shop is the same prices on the online stores and I had ordered my first bass from musiciansfriend.com and the body was smashed, I know it was the shipping but I don't want the risk of getting another bad bass so I go to my store.
Anyone ever bought and returned something from GAK? I bought an Epiphone Valve Junior combo from them (without trying.. i've learnt my lesson) and don't like it. I sent a return request to them almost 4 weeks ago. I've sent them numerous e-mails but still heard nothing.

This one thing that's making me a little more sketchy about buying things online. Either they're really busy or they just like f-ing people around eitherway I'm not a happy camper.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
I buy in store, because there aren't too many great online music stores that are located in Canada, and buying online from the states when you work out the prices with shipping and duty and such is sometimes maybe a few dollars less, or even a few dollars more. It's just convenience, if something goes wrong or you need to return the product its a lot easier to get in your car and drive to the store and get instant support as oppose to waiting a month or two for shipping back and fourth.
Quote by SamDking
Anyone ever bought and returned something from GAK? I bought an Epiphone Valve Junior combo from them (without trying.. i've learnt my lesson) and don't like it. I sent a return request to them almost 4 weeks ago. I've sent them numerous e-mails but still heard nothing.

This one thing that's making me a little more sketchy about buying things online. Either they're really busy or they just like f-ing people around eitherway I'm not a happy camper.

GAK SUCK WITH COMMUNICATION!!!!!

ring em.
For me i would never buy anything valuable online. The UK is lucky they don't have UPS, because if you ordered a tube amp, the tubes would definately be smashed by thetime it reaches your door. No matter how well packaged they are, a tube amp 20lb+ won't survive a 5 foot drop.

Also most if not all boutique amp companies will only sell their products through mom&pop shops.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
buy guitars online, amps in store, unless they're small amps

because on sites, sometimes you have to pay like...$70 at least for shipping on heavy amps

a GREAT strategy is to do research on the gear online, go to the store and actually play it, then if it's an amp, buy it there, but if it's a guitar or a pedal or something light, buy it online

i like buying online at musiciansfriend.com because they have EVERYTHING and you don't have to pay shipping [usually] for over 100 bucks on anything
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
.....If Fender DID buy out Jackson, Im quitting guitar and music. Would hate to see the same model of a jackson, the Jackocaster, sold every year with little or no change.
fpr gear and stuff try in store buy online, for guitars, you should play the EXACT guitar that you plan on buying, so unless i find a really good deal on ebay id never buy a guitar online.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by SamDking

get the number for the online part, not the actual store, and ring them
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
fpr gear and stuff try in store buy online, for guitars, you should play the EXACT guitar that you plan on buying, so unless i find a really good deal on ebay id never buy a guitar online.

the only gear i would buy used online is an amp

i would never want to take a shot at buying a used guitar online...because you never get to see exactly what the condition it's in, or how it sounds

amps are totally different, if something's broken on it, it's an easy fix in a shop

like...awhile ago, i saw a warhead on ebay for 50 bucks...only it had the typical warhead volume problem...which i could've probably fixed in a local music shop for probably less than a hundred...which leaves me with a $150- working warhead...unfortunately, i totally forgot about the warhead due to other things do did not buy it...
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
.....If Fender DID buy out Jackson, Im quitting guitar and music. Would hate to see the same model of a jackson, the Jackocaster, sold every year with little or no change.
well, there's no substitute to trying it. and, with instore, you're likely to pay less (shipping can be expensive for big stuff). just my two cents.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Different people may been in slightly different situations but take my situation for instance. I'm looking for an amp - smallish 15-30 watt valve amp. 1x12, possibly 2x12 config.

The local shop I know has the Laney VC30 2x12 combo (an amp I'm considering) for around £500 last time I checked - which is roughly the RRP of it. On GAK I can get the same amp for £380. Now there's no way they're gonna match that price in-store so what should I do if I end up wanting this amp? Try it in-store then grab a bargain online?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
I do a little thing called haggling

But if it's too much in the shop, buy online, but if it was a guitar, I'd buy in the shop.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
for guitars i definatly think that its better to play the exact model first, and then pay for that exact one if you want to buy it. as Dirk said, even guitars of the same make and model can sound different, so its best to buy one youve played. ive bought a guitar online and it sounds good to me, but i probably wouldnt do that again unless i knew exactly what i wanted and couldnt find it.

amps, i can go either way. i find that stores i like give you a brand new one in the box if you get it from them. they open the box in front of you to make sure its the one you want and stuff. no way im buying a floor model unless its selling as used. online would be fine for new, cause its coming in box and stuff and you know itll probably be fine. i dunno about used online, id have to make sure the dealer/seller was reputable.

pedals, i usually go online. there isnt going to be much difference in pedals, especially if they are new. its easier to find exactly what i want online (i just ordered a phase 90 clone with true bypass). as long as you play the pedal first and make sure you know exactly what you want, online is definatly a good way to go.

so i guess im saying make sure you know what you want and then see where you can get the best deal. except guitars because its best to play that exact one.
Yeh I agree with you about guitars. I bought a used guitar online once (my Gibson) and although it turned out okay I don't think I'd do it again.

As with my amp situation, I haven't decided yet. I could probably save a shedload if I buy online.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
^If you can save loads, you might aswell buy online.
Decided yet?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Well in my town, there are only two music shops... one of which is closing down. One music shop is mainly catered for more orchestral instruments, but they do sell guitars... for beginners (sp?), and starter amps, and you can only get stock in if you request and if you will buy it.. so you can't really 'try before you buy'. The other one is closing down so they wont get any new stock in anyway. Plus they used to work on the same basis as the other shop.

So, being 16 and transportless to get to other shops in surrounding areas, it's pretty hard for me to play it before. But I usually do LOADS of research before purchasing anyway.

gak.co.uk is the cheapets site I've found... bar eBay.
I enjoy a hearty roast dinner...

...for breakfast.
i think onlines better too - where i live theres only one guitar shop and its dingy at best. It caters towards beginners and not to my style so i've been forced to buy online. So far i've been lucky and everythings been good though
clicked the wrong one...my bad

i always buy online, sales people, mainly at the guitar center, dont know anything and are of no help.

i avoid them by getting free s&h codes and ordering from all the online stores i know...mainly MF.com
i would much rather buy in a store, less- to no- chances of getting scammed, and it's often faster, specially since i'm a "canuck" and most sites are american, meaning there are customs and shipping and long waits and all that jizz
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build