Hi, I'm thinking of Marshall TSL 601 and Peavey 5150, but I can't still detremine what could be best for me. I like the way old Marshalls sound very much, but I also want to play something modern and I even meaning to buy a baritone guitar for heavy stuff. And I hear the 5150 does all heavy job very well. On the other hand, I'm not sure if those 601s can give out the famous Marshall sound. Either I'm not sure if 5150 has a good clean chan.

Who have tried out both, what are your impressions?
The Marshall TSL601 is a more modern sounding amp. It won't really give you the classic Marshall tone you want. You'll be better off to go for the Peavey (either a 5150II or a 6505+). They have questionable cleans, however the 5150II and the 6505+ have better cleans than the 5150 and 6505. They do heavy tones very well, and will sound great with a baritone guitar. The onlt fallback is that they're not so good for lightly distorted tones.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
I can, but only one. So I have to decide which one. Besides, I have no chance to compare both combos at a time. I hear the 6505 series exists as well, but people say its tone is very specific; good, but very much on its own.
The 6505 sounds pretty much identicle to the 5150^
The onlt fallback is that they're not so good for lightly distorted tones.

Oh really? But what about some extrenal overdrive pedals? Can they help then?
Quote by separanets
Oh really? But what about some extrenal overdrive pedals? Can they help then?

Yes. By running something like a TS9/TS808, or even a cheaper overdrive pedal like a Boss SD1 through the clean channel, you can dial in some decent blues/rock/classic rock tones.
You might be able to get a sound like that out of it. You'd have to turn the gain down to about 1/2 on the amps lead channel (and turn up the volume so you can hear it). Then run an overdrive pedal through it with the gain maxed and the level maxed. Alternatively, you could use the pedal on the same settings and then crank the amps volume and run it through the clean channel.
You can get really decent bluesy tones with medium gain settings on the 5150's rhythm channel. The rhythm channel will give you a better dirty-clean bluesy sound than totally clean.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
All right, thank you, nic_2090. You nearly convinced me. At least, I will not dwell on these new Marshalls and go directly to check out peavey's only. A peavey 6505 is about 250 dollars more than a 5150.
The rhythm channel will give you a better dirty-clean bluesy sound than totally clean.

That's very nice!

P.S. You're preceeding me and I find some new posts right after I've done mine.
Thanks, it did, though that thread has made the matter vaguer. However, they advised to strat a new thread to compare Peavey to other brands.

JCM 800, 6505, 5150, Tripple xxx, hmmm. All that I got from that thread was that the 6505 or JCM fit for 80s heavy, whereas the 5150 or Tripple XXX fit for modern heavy. On the other hand, the Trpple XXX is brighter than the 5150 and 6505, hmmm. And finally I've just been told H&K produce combos that are build on the principles of old Marshalls. Where's a dizzy emoticon over here?