Thin Lizzy, such a great band...so many great lead players (althought i didnt like John Sykes...not my cup of tea...).

Feel free to talk about your favourite albums and anything related to the band

cheers
member number 2 of the "everyone likes Cream" club

Member #15 of the UG Pink Floyd Fan Club.PM TimiHendrex33 to join.
aye their quite good havent heard much of their stuff, just rosie lee and boys are back in town, good band
Excellent band. Very, very underrated. Jailbreak is my favorite album.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
catchy songs, boys are back in town, cowboy song, jailbreak, just to name a few. a little more arena rockish but good nonetheless.
***MEMBER OF THE WHO FAN CLUB***

*Founder of Teenage Wasteland Club*(working to inform the un-informed)

**Member #2 of the Windmillers Club**

**Alter Boy of Zeppelinism**

*9/08 THE WHO*
I've only heard "The Boys are Back In Town", but whenever I hear people talk about them on this forum I hear very good things, and I'm considering buying an album of theirs.

Any suggestions? I don't like Greatest Hits, so don't even think about recommending their Greatest Hits (if they have one, that is) to me.

Thanks.
^Jailbreak rocks, get that. I would have suggested their greatest hits because it actually is very good.

My dad saw them play at a pub here in Cork before they got really famous. He said they were unreal.

Cool.

The reason I don't like Greatest Hits is basically because, for the most part, they don't show much about a band, except their more well-known songs (hence the name, "Greatest Hits"), but you really can't show all of the sides a band has with that.

Usually Greatest Hits only have radio-known songs, with maybe a few others here and there, but if you pick up a Greatest Hits by a band such as... say Yes, you'll hear songs like "Roundabout", "I've Seen All Good People", and "Owner of a Lonely Heart", for example, but won't hear their more complex, epic songs such as "Close to the Edge" or "Starship Trooper".

Anyways, thanks for the recommendation, and when I get a chance I'll try and pick up the album.
I recommend Jailbreak and i COMMAND you to buy Live and Dangerous, without a doubt one of the greatest live albums in rock ever. I got jailbreak today and its just immense

Tell me some about Live and Dangerous...

I really like bands that can improvise and extend their songs beyond what's done in the studio - bands like The Allman Brothers Band, The Grateful Dead, Ten Years After, etc.

Is Thin Lizzy able to do this? If not, it's fine, because I listen to bands that don't do that either, or at least not a lot (AC/DC, for example).
Thin Lizzy dont do it that often sadly, but the thing with Thin Lizzy is that you listen to a song like Emerald from Jailbreak, and say "aw wow that song is really amazing!" but you listen to the same song but on Live and Dangerous (some of there later live albums were incredibly overdubbed...) and it just hits you like a ton of bricks with the sheer power and force and probably some of the best les paul tones ever

That sounds good, then.

Led Zeppelin would go from playing songs as they were on the studio recording to playing twenty-plus minutes, but either way the songs were awesome.

I'll most likely have to order their CDs from the Internet, because they weren't extremely popular here in the States.

I know that they were pretty big in Ireland (not sure about the United Kingdom, where you are), but you're at least close to Ireland, so you probably could find their albums in stores.
I love the way they made it sound and feel like the two different guitar pitches were seperate armies raging war on one another, and to think that was only a b-sider, disgraceful.
They are the greatest Irish rock band, along with Rory Gallagher. U2 are good but nowhere near those two.
Yeah basically those two plus Black Rose and Bad Reputation firstly

and oooh yes Thin Lizzy DID improvise in Live and Dangerous
My Spanish Hearts
Last edited by rx_eb at Jul 19, 2006,
Still In Love With You is my favourite song out of Live and Dangerous

Heavily blues-based improvised solo and basically it's always a great song
My Spanish Hearts
just heard the boys are back in town, god I love that song, any recomended albums aside from the above mentioned?
John Frusciante
member #1 of the John Frusciante and Red Hot Chili Peppers UG fanclub PM samlynch to join
JIMI HENDRIX
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
John Petrucci
SRV
Quote by rx_eb
Still In Love With You is my favourite song out of Live and Dangerous

Heavily blues-based improvised solo and basically it's always a great song

I'm looking forward to purchasing this album.
Wild One is basically a greatest hits, so it is a great album.
Thin Lizzy with Lynott rules, after that it's just downhill.

Albums to buy are Jailbreak and Live and Dangerous without a doubt.

Better before Gary Moore joined, not to put him down, but Brian Whatshisface and Scott Gorham owned.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
I was reading up on Thin Lizzy in my Rolling Stones Rock Encyclopedia yesterday, and I was surprised to find that Gary Moore was a member of the band.

I knew Lynott did some work with him outside of Thin Lizzy, but I didn't know he was an actual member of the band.

Then again, the only member of the band I did know about was Lynott.
I haven't heard much but what I've heard (Boys are back in town, Whisky in the jar) were awesome and I really liked 'em. My mum has this double disc thing so I should probably listen to that.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by Derigiberble
Better before Gary Moore joined, not to put him down, but Brian Whatshisface and Scott Gorham owned.

yeah i think they were way better with Thin Lizzy than was Gary

Quote by aussieguitarman
just heard the boys are back in town, god I love that song, any recomended albums aside from the above mentioned?

Try Night Life
My Spanish Hearts
Yeah they were best with Brian ROBERTSON =p and Scott Gorham, Gary Moore did ace guitar stuff but... it didnt fit the jigsaw.

Dont get me started on John Sykes....

Word to Thin Lizzy. Paul Lynott is one of my bass idols. I like his playing on "Showdown" and "She Knows". Most people only know these guys from "The Boys Are Back In Town". If they didn't play that song I would still love Thin Lizzy, possibly more.
I love Thin Lizzy. On iTunes I have "Dedication: The Very Best of Thin Lizzy", and I have Jailbreak on LP (it's actually on my turntable in my bedroom at the moment).
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Yeagh there was improv in L+D and they did extend songs too. Just look at the 2 solos in the L+D version of Jailbreak compared to the zero on the album version. Some phenomenal musicians played in that band. I recommend Jailbreak, Black rose and The Official Greatest Hits album and obviously LIVE AND DANGEROUS-THE GREATEST LIVE ALBUM EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. These albums will give you a good idea of what thin lizzy are all about.

I saw thesort of tribute band goin about under the name of thin lizzy not too long ago with John Sykes and Scott Gorham in it not long ago. I was apprehensive at first but they were bloody great!!! I would recommend them if they are any where near you in the future.

SCOTT GORHAM IS A FOOKIN LEGEND!!!!!!!!!!!
I've got something in my front pocket for you.
Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is?
Then grab onto it, it's just for you.
Give a little squeeze and say: "How do you do?"
Last edited by tpot06 at Aug 14, 2006,