What amps do you have, I am getting a new amp and I would like to know what some people have and what is popular and stuff. And any suggestions would be great.
i have a ventura 30w. i'm pretty sure that's british watts, though, it sounds louder than any 30w i've heard. it can be a little muddy but the distortion is somewhat good.

marshal amps are the best (and most expensive) amps in the buisness. if you can find a good used marshall, then go with that. fender amps are nice too, i guess, but i abstain from fender for various reasons.
I've had a Peavey Max 115 for a month or 2. I'm really pleased with it. Great sound. Quite cheap too. It's only 50W but with a 15-inch speaker low notes stay nice and clear at high volumes. It's plenty loud enough for concerts. There's a reasonable range of sounds, with a switch for Modern/Max/Vintage.
The only downside is with it's size and weight (26kg) it's pretty awkward to carry.

I was planning on getting a 120W Behringer which had a wider range of sounds, plus a footswitch with 2 channels but a 12-inch speaker isn't really enough for all that power and it's not great at high volumes.

So there you go. Hope that helps.
But definitely ask at the shop before you buy. I would have bought the Behringer as I had my mind set on it, but fortunately I decided I'd just check out the competition, try a few. I mean the Behringer is probably good too (and it has sockets for extra speakers and stuff).

Out of those 2 it depends if you prefer a simpler purer sound at all volumes or a a wider range of sounds.
Quote by EirikFtw
You have achieved what I thought impossible, you are my new god

"The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society"
Founder of the "Marmite: We love it!" Union
translator/ radio-operator of the bass militia
Laney Rb3 and an Ashdown five Fifteen. laney is 65W and 12", and the ashdowns electronics are buggered, so they've been chucked on the tip and im replacing the speaker in it to use as a cab
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I have had an Alesis Wildfire60 (horrible solid state) and a Line 6 Spider II (better, less versatile solid state). I DID have my heart set on a Fender Hotrod Deluxe, but I came to the conclusion that it wasn't up to snuff. I'm currently waiting to get a B-52 AT-212, tube combo amp. It is awesome.

If you're getting a new amp, go to Guitar Center and try out some stuff in your price range, and some stuff that isn't. If you're not very good, or are somewhat new, started a year or so ago, and haven't been to GC too much, then go. Try some stuff out. The biggest mistake someone newish or getting their first big upgrade can do is buy something because of reviews/the internet. I learned this the hard way with my Wildfire60. If you're going for a tube amp under half a grand, a Blues Junior would be great for bluesy stuff, and a Hotrod Deluxe would be good for blues and very good for classic rock, good for metal if you put an OD pedal in front of it. Good luck man.

EDIT: Line 6, my Spider II broke. I got a refund. Their clean channel is PASSABLE, not very good, but passable. For blues, it's ALMOST worthless, you have to do alot of tweaking to find a halfway decent blues setting, but I did achieve a decent Strat tone through it. For classic rock and slightly hard rock, it's worthless. It does passable cleans, passable blues (if you have the time to tweak it), but it excels in metal. The metal isn't as real as a tube amp, obviously, and I personally think the MG has better metal tone, but it's alright. It's not as harsh as a Crate, but if you work on it, you can good a variety of genuinely decent to good metal tones. All a matter of opinion, however.
Last edited by oddling8 at Jul 19, 2006,
^lol, i should have seen that coming.

a strat tone from a bass? wowzers
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
my guitar center sucks I dont know if it is all guitar center but the bass section sucks. I know they have line 6 and fender but that is about it so I am going to order on-line even though i dont like too. But should I get a tube or just a reg. one.
GK 400RB Mark IV, 410 SBX.

I am thinking of upgrading and adding the 115. Oh yes I am..
I will post what I have and tell me what you think. A Drive CD and some numbers, it is 35 watts and does not sound good.
dont get a berhinger..............................*cries on desk*
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Check my sig for my Ampeg model
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
67' fender bassman (black face) it's an ok amp

jk it owns
MEMBER 6 OF I <3 Online Putt Putt Group
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
I like peni better. It sounds funnier.
"a group of naked guys jumped me, I have never seen so much peni ."
he likes peni

Captain of the Rage Against the Myspace Club. PM Bloody Mary to enlist.
I have a Peavey TNT 115 combo. 15" speaker with a Piezo horn, 200W.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-TNT-115-1x15-200W-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=481381
Quote by X Alkaline 3
I dared a Jew to throw rocks at Hitler when he was a young boy..

Never knew he'd take it to heart like that.

iScrobbler

Psalms 62:8
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
For tube amps.

Advantages: Much louder per wattage, much greater tone.
Disadvantages: Very expensive, Tubes may need to be replaced every so often.

Feel free to correct me.

As for my amp; 40W E-tunes supply "Bass Power Amplifier"... possibly the worst amp I have played through.

Will be running through Laney G300 and a DB Concert Sound Club Series 4x10 when it gets delivered next week. Then plan on making a 1x15 or possibly a 1x18 (if it proves to be a good idea) when i get some more cash together.
Last edited by ShaggyDan at Jul 21, 2006,
Laney 30watt MxD (hardcore), its alrite, but i dont like laney that much.
Colt 30watt, i use this with my phantom (it has line out).
RSC 50watt phantom, its old but ****in huge and ****in loud.

All 3 are nice, my RSC only cost £10 on eaby (and an extra £10 P&P.....im lucky.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
I have a rackmount system. In my opinion, rackmounts are the only way to go. I run a Kustom Groove 1200 head (mmm.....1200 watts) into a Behringer 32 band equalizer (it has two channels, so I only use one and I make pretty designs with the lights on the second channel) from there it goes into my Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro. Honestly guys, I've never trusted Behringer before....but after hearing some of the amp models on this preamp I turned over a new leaf. Maybe it doesn't sound exactly like an Ampeg SVT-CL, but it's close. The Mesa modeler sounds great too.
Quote by pink chili
Check my sig for my Ampeg model

very nice rig! i have the earlier model B2R amp, B410HLF cab. i will eventually upgrade to the SVT Pro series, and i sure wish my amp had you're low imp. line out.
I like Ampeg better. I went to Guitar Center because I was looking for a new amp too and the Gallien Kruegers seemed like they were missing something but the Ampegs were awesome.
Quote by Caustic
Loviator sounds like a 70's sex toy, probably discontinued and withdrawn from retail due to poor grade rubber being used in construction.

Quote by Stop Messin'
Put the weed in your friends anus, light it, and use his pecker like a bong :O
Quote by OutlawMusician
Should I go with Ampeg or Gk?

I'm going to say the same thing I always say.

Ampegs have a very distinct tone, which most bassists use. You will be able to get a lot of classic tones out of an Ampeg. They have a certain classic personality. That personality will not want to go away.

Gallien Krueger amps have absolutely no personality. When a bassists plugs into a GK, a new personality will be shown. Gallien Kreuger amps let you shape your own original tone, and get a new sound. They have a much wider tonal range than Ampeg.

Ampegs will always sound like Ampegs, and Gallien-Kreugers will sound like something totally new.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by Bumper
I have a rackmount system. In my opinion, rackmounts are the only way to go. I run a Kustom Groove 1200 head (mmm.....1200 watts) into a Behringer 32 band equalizer (it has two channels, so I only use one and I make pretty designs with the lights on the second channel) from there it goes into my Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro. Honestly guys, I've never trusted Behringer before....but after hearing some of the amp models on this preamp I turned over a new leaf. Maybe it doesn't sound exactly like an Ampeg SVT-CL, but it's close. The Mesa modeler sounds great too.

what cabs are you running that amp into, bump?

If you're a cheapass like me (which I doubt but what the heck) you can try the Legion cabs over at musicsupplycenter.com (formerly known as Steelsound.com), I got my 4ohm, 600W handling 2x12 from there and so far its good ($200 shipped), it does its job well and the sound of it is fairly transparent, letting the amp/bass dictate the tone (which is good, IMO)...I run a Hartke 3000 head into it that I bought used for 175 bucks (as you can see I'm a madman when it comes to spending money on gear! ) so, my amp is absolutely nothing special, but it gets the job done and thats all I can ask for right now...

Honestly the thing that made me go with the Legion cabs was this review of em on Talkbass (note: The thread is called Steelsound 2x12 Review because back when the thread was made, the cabs were still called Steelsound 212s or SS212s, now they are Legion, but the cabs are the same exact thing, same construction, same speakers, higher price )
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184145
I dont regret the purchase at all...

yep, story of my (bass) life, cheap ass amps, 8 dollar-a-pack Musicians Friend Brand Strings, and two $500+ basses
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jul 22, 2006,
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
I'm going to say the same thing I always say.

Ampegs have a very distinct tone, which most bassists use. You will be able to get a lot of classic tones out of an Ampeg. They have a certain classic personality. That personality will not want to go away.

Gallien Krueger amps have absolutely no personality. When a bassists plugs into a GK, a new personality will be shown. Gallien Kreuger amps let you shape your own original tone, and get a new sound. They have a much wider tonal range than Ampeg.

Ampegs will always sound like Ampegs, and Gallien-Kreugers will sound like something totally new.

with all due respect, to say a GK does not have a sound of its own, and to infer the Ampeg is a pre-set sound, i.e. Rickenbacker, is simply not true. this "opinion", or propaganda, has been stated on this site, too long. an Ampeg can be dialed into any sound you like. the GK is good equipment, but the statement, Ampegs will always sound like Ampegs, and GK is a totally new sound, is mis-leading and wrong!
an Ampeg will accurately reproduce the sound of you're bass guitar. that's what i look for in an amp.