Page 1 of 4
i know kerry king and zakk wylde use them, but DAMN do they suck!!

i mean...i played one in the store a couple of days ago and it turns out it's a tube amp without distortion...now, i know zakk wylde uses a boss regular overdrive pedal, but there's just no way he can get his tone through a basic pedal and a clean tube amp...right??

and kerry king...i have no idea what kind of pedals he uses...but daamn, they better be good

so my question is, why would kerry king and zakk wylde use pedals for distortion when no one else does?...i mean, why wouldn't they just get a jcm 2000??

i guess someone out there will disagree and argue with me...so go ahead, argue, i just want to know the truth
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
.....If Fender DID buy out Jackson, Im quitting guitar and music. Would hate to see the same model of a jackson, the Jackocaster, sold every year with little or no change.
are you deaf? Its an AMAZING amp. Maybe some dont have a gain or preamp control, but they sound incredible. When you turn the volume up, thats when you get overdrive. They use rack systems and all kinds of overdrives and pedals that make them sound heavier. Also, they play with their amps loud so they can get more distortion from it. you dont need to make a thread bashing the JCM800 when most people like them.
did you join this forum just to make this thread? and another thing...EVERYONE uses distortion or overdrive pedals.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
*slaps*

there is overdrive on a tube, its called cranking it

and i would imagine that 99.9% of people use pedals
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Are you on SOme kind of Hallucinigenic drugs the 800 is ****ing amazing to say the least. it has awesome distortion you just gotta know how to use it dumbass. turn the pre amp voule to 10 then the post acts as a volume you will get great distortion. you just gotta not be a dumb ass
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
1) ohh...that's probably it...duhh it's a tube, you have to crank it to get good sound...and i couldn't really crank it because i was in a music store

2) from what i've seen, not that many people use pedals for distortion, most people just use their amp's distortion
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
.....If Fender DID buy out Jackson, Im quitting guitar and music. Would hate to see the same model of a jackson, the Jackocaster, sold every year with little or no change.
not even just turn the pre amp to ten and you will get an awesome tone you just gotta use the post as a master volume
in response to your 1 and 2

1) at least you figured that out...

2) again everyone uses pedals
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
how am i supposed to crank it?? it's a small music shop
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
Quote by dimebag_love
1) ohh...that's probably it...duhh it's a tube, you have to crank it to get good sound...and i couldn't really crank it because i was in a music store

2) from what i've seen, not that many people use pedals for distortion, most people just use their amp's distortion

name me a guitarist that hasnt used a single distortion pedal but has distorted songs

get thinking boy
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
jcm800 give the best tone, glassy type "brown sound". it has an overdrive, but you can use whatever effect wtih it and it sounds great. use any good overdrive pedal to push it and the tone and sound quality is still there. it just cuts and really has an overall better sound.
Quote by red star
in response to your 1 and 2

1) at least you figured that out...

2) again everyone uses pedals

no man not everyone uses pedals. James Hetfield in fact uses no pedals as he says it steals his tone. Thats just one there are many more
Well for Kerry King I don't really know much 'bout what he uses but for Zakk Wylde, he uses an MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive pedal (http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=261&pmh=products/p_and_e_detail)
As for the amp he uses, I have no clue if it's a JCM 800.
Professional Tracking, Mixing and Mastering available.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Past clients/ credits include: The Catalyst, Click! and Alain Caron.
yeah, they both use jcm 800's

actually, i dont' think zakk wylde uses his his MXR, it's just a modeling pedal that has his name on it

on guitargeek.com it says zakk uses a regular boss overdrive pedal
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
no Zakks 800 the only difference bettwen his and the Stock ones is he replaces the tubes with 6550s
modded

like he uses a different amp that he stows backstage

i heard that somewhere, but not quite sure what that's called
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
no he uses his amps the ZW Sig marshall
he has a signature marshall??
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
ya he does it is just a stock JCM 800 with 6550 power amp tubes instead of EL-34s and it has some pretty bullseye desgin on the front
oh...

yea, i have a picture of him on my phone from ozzfest...you can see like 10 marshall fullstacks in the background, but i can't make out any detal on the heads...but there's zakk shredding centerstage
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
Yeah he doesn't use all of those fullstacks, they just mic up 1 of his amps into the PA.

/stating the obvious
yeah, duh...but why does he have them all? backup? cool looks?
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
For show. It looks 'R@\/\/K!!11!' or some crap like that.

On topic, the JCM800 is a fantastic amp, if you want to OD it and still keep your hearing, then get an attenuator.
i only own solid states and i want to get a tube amp that has great distortion for my thrashcore band [thrash metal/hardcore]

our singer has a b-52 head and he runs it through a bass cab and it just sounds like the greatest thing in the world...it's so tight sounding!!

although, i suppose he can't run it through that bass cab forever...but back to the topic

what's a good tube amp with good distortion that is fairly cheap
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
the only peaveys i have played were the triple x and the jsx

first, the jsx, has great tone

the triple x...gets feedback on the ultra channel with the gain at like...3
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
Quote by dimebag_love
yeah, duh...but why does he have them all? backup? cool looks?

just for show.
Read my post. Not this.
haha yeeah...so are they even plugged in?
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
Zakk uses an exra pre amp tube. And Marshall don't soudn awesome till their crnaked and get some real disotrtion. also both of them uses overdrive pedals and have high output humbuckers.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
oh i see...i don't think the jcm 800 is right for me
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
Quote by dimebag_love
haha yeeah...so are they even plugged in?

They're fakes. He only has 1 or 2 actual working amps on stage at a time.
Read my post. Not this.
Quote by mingles
They're fakes. He only has 1 or 2 actual working amps on stage at a time.

that's really retarded...man i'd hate to be his road crew...moving them around months at a time for nothing
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
ya but they are probably gutted they probably dont weigh a thing
To the threadstarter - if you set the amp using what us experts call "the right way". then you get a reasonable, useable distortion. It usually involved diming out the volume though, which makes it loud as ****.

Quote by Syn Harvest
ya he does it is just a stock JCM 800 with 6550 power amp tubes instead of EL-34s and it has some pretty bullseye desgin on the front

Correct. And of course, it costs about $500 more than a standard JCM 800 2203 because Zakk has to get his share of royalties for having his name on it.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
go away Dimebag love. i've been to three different threads where you have given awful, dumbass advice. and now you are slaying the Marshall JCM 800. you're an ignorant youg idiot. stop making stupid posts.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

check out my first guitar build, the razorback!
Official Member of the I <3 Schecter's Club, PM Schecter-06 to join.
you're an asshole

why can't you people just straighten me out instead of just trying to run me over

all i'm saying is, i found it hard to get good tone out of the JCM 800 since i couldn't crank it

do you have nothing bettter to do than to use an online FORUM to make yourselves look cool...i mean...how nerdy is that??
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
i don't use this forum to make me look cool i use it to keep people like you from posting stupid fake information and then people actually believing you. i also don't care what people think of me. and if you couldn't crank the amp, then don't go around shouting this amp sucks! this amp sucks! because it makes you look like a moron because you have no idea what the hell you are talking about. n00b.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

check out my first guitar build, the razorback!
Official Member of the I <3 Schecter's Club, PM Schecter-06 to join.
Page 1 of 4