Ionian-Happy
Dorian-Bluesly Minor
Phrygian-Dark, Spanish Minor
Lydian-Goofy Major (Think "Simpsons" theme, that is Lydian)
Mixolydian-This oen is hard. The obvious answer is "bluesly major," but I find Mixolydian to have so many different sounds it's ridiculous.
Aeolian-Pure Minor
Locrian-Evil, Diminished
bgc has it...

ionian=happy
dorian=happy minor
phrygian=dark, spanishy, exotic minor
lydian=i guess "goofy" works
mixolydian=i have trouble classifying this one too
aeolain=sad minor
locrian=dark, evil
Looking for my India/Django.
what is phrygian?
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
Quote by tamargoguitar
what is phrygian?
It's the third mode of the major scale. The intervals are 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7. It is a dark, Spanish sounding minor scale.
Sometimes it helps to think of songs that have that sound. Examples:

dorian=Oye Como Va, Evil Ways (Santana)

phrygian=This Love (Pantera) (altho I think Dimebag is using mostly minor pentatonic for the solos, the main riff the song starts off with has that phrygian sound because of the flat second)

lydian=Flying in a Blue Dream (Satriani)

mixolydian=main riff in outro of Ramblin' Man (Allman Bros) (probably dating myself here...)

trivia question: can anyone name a solo or song that uses locrian mode?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
It's the third mode of the major scale. The intervals are 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7. It is a dark, Spanish sounding minor scale.

yeah, to me, the minor second gives it the exotic desperado feel
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Hmm, let's have a go as well then...

Ionian-Happy
Dorian-Not so minor minor
Phrygian-Zorro
Lydian-Bambi emerging from the forest, floaty
Mixolydian-Jig!
Aeolian-Sadness
Locrian-Tension, Shower scene in Psycho
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by guitarviz
Sometimes it helps to think of songs that have that sound. Examples:

dorian=Oye Como Va, Evil Ways (Santana)

phrygian=This Love (Pantera) (altho I think Dimebag is using mostly minor pentatonic for the solos, the main riff the song starts off with has that phrygian sound because of the flat second)

lydian=Flying in a Blue Dream (Satriani)

mixolydian=main riff in outro of Ramblin' Man (Allman Bros) (probably dating myself here...)

trivia question: can anyone name a solo or song that uses locrian mode?

Metallica- Wherever I May Roam
FlickR
iBanez Rg550 20th Anniversary.
iBanez GRG170DX W/ Dimarzio Steve's Special
VTM 60 Tube Head
Carvin Legacy Vai Cabinet 4x12 Cabinet
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
Quote by bangoodcharlote

Can somebody please tell me the intervals for the other modes? That would be really great.
Ionian 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All major intervals make it sound happy.
Dorian 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7 The major 6th gives dorian a happier sound than aeolian, which is considered the natural minor.
Phrygian 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 This mode sounds darker than aeolian or dorian because it has the flatted second. People say that the flat second gives it a spanish/cowboy sound.
Lydian 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7 This mode sounds quirky and weird because it has a sharp fourth. Considering a sharp fourth is just a different name for a flatted fifth, and a flatted fifth is a dissonant interval, having a sharp fourth in a major scale makes it sound weird.
Mixolydian 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7 This is my favorite mode. The flat seventh gives it a sound great for funk. Also, if you're going to put a solo over a major key song, the mixolydian mode adds a lot of flavor to it.
Aeolian 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 This is the natural minor scale. It sounds sad because of its three flatted intervals. A lot of metal is in this mode.
Locrian 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7 Okay this is a really difficult scale to use if you don't play death metal. Most of the intervals are minor and the fifth is diminished. I never use this one, but it's good to know anyways.

Hope that helped.
Mixolydian sounds jazzy. A 'jazzy sound' stems mostly from the use of four note seventh chords as opposed to triads. Play the chords C Dm Am G. Now play Cmaj7 Dm7 Am7 G7. Just adding the 7th to those chords changed the whol sound. If you put a solo over that in G mixolydian, with a lot of melodic runs and minimal bends, it'd sound jazzy.
Will the Locrian Mode give me that metal kind of sound? As long as my chords are a half-step from each other?
FlickR
iBanez Rg550 20th Anniversary.
iBanez GRG170DX W/ Dimarzio Steve's Special
VTM 60 Tube Head
Carvin Legacy Vai Cabinet 4x12 Cabinet
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah