i'm trying to learn a legato style of playing to use in shred and fast licks on my guitar.. but my pull-offs suck. they're real weak sounding and i was wondering if yall had any pointers.. i kno ur supposed to kinda pull a little downward as you release to make it more pronounced but when i try this i hit the string below it..
practice makes perfect, this will come with time. try doing those finger strength exersizes in the lessons section.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
I think they make weights for your fingers to put on while practicing. That could really help build strength...
it's not so much that my fingers are weak but that whenever i do the pull offs i don't get much sound out of them.. maybe that has something to do with finger strength but i didn't think it did
what ever happend to being independent.
when i learnt pull offs, i jsut practiced trying different things, and then got good at it. plain and simple, practice, its not hard, seems everyone wants to skip it. i didnt ask on forums for help, or even other people, and i cna do them fine.
why thank you jaredF for that insightful comment.. i've been playin for only about 2 years and have been figuring it out for myself during that time but i was wondering if you had any pointers on some certain 'technique' that i was supposed to use rather than simply telling me that it was "technique and strength" that made good pull-offs
Just try simple pull-offs like 3-2-0 on the high e string and repeat that over and over. when you get good at that, move it so you play 3-2-0 on the high e, then the same on the b string. It helped me out significantly.
2 years and can't do pull-offs... whatever.

- hold fingers on both notes

- pick the string

- release the higher note, while slightly pulling the string downwards (in sort of a semi-circular motion) so as to make the lower note ring as loud as the higher one.

- practice and quit whining.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Don't be so hard on the guy. Doing a pulloff well and getting it fast is not so easy.
It requires a lot of subtle muscle coordination.

Here's something I wrote up a while back

Pulloff Clinic Time:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385324&highlight=pulloff+clinic
hitting another string while you pull off is a very easy fix. say for example your doing a 14 p12 on the d string, and your using your index and ring firgers. take your index finger and lay the pad of it on the g string while still freting the 12 on the d string. that is the quick fix, however you should practice pulling off more, and concentrate on not hitting that next string
pull offs ftw.... that help?
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.