Here is a press release about the Joe Strummer Memorial Hall in Calgary:

1. The Joe Strummer Memorial Society has been founded with the purpose to open a hall in Calgary

2. The hall will be called the Joe Strummer Memorial Hall

3. The purpose of the hall will be threefold
a. Host all ages musical events. The concerts will be run by a committee of volunteers who book shows and will help make Calgary a primary touring locale for small and mid-sized touring acts.
b. Youth Recreation Centre. It will be a place where young urban citizens of Calgary can hang out and get involved in projects of their own design. It will also provide a number of facilities to assist these youth-based projects.
c. Memorialize the legacy of Joe Strummer, singer and songwriter of the Clash, the Mescaleros, the 101ers, and social activist.

4. The Joe Strummer Memorial Society will kick-off its fundraising efforts with a benefit concert hosted by the Uprise! Festival Society.

5. More details below.

Calgary has a new group in town. The Joe Strummer Memorial Society intends to open up a youth-centered music and recreation hall here in Calgary. The hall, which bears the proposed name of ?The Joe Strummer Memorial Hall?, will be a multi-functional facility, dedicated to improving the well-being of Calgary?s youth by providing a permanent venue for numerous activities. The hall?s main functions will be three-fold.

First, it will serve as a music hall for all ages concerts, booked and run similar to the model used by 924 Gilman Street in Berkeley, California. 924 Gilman is the infamous volunteer-run venue where NOFX made their debut, and it is one of the oldest and most successful all ages venues in the world. Recently MaximumRocknRoll, an equally notable punk-rock stand-by, has published a full-length book on the history of the 924 Gilman Street project (available through AK Press), complete with an entire listing of past shows to date. For obvious reasons, the Joe Strummer Memorial Society has chosen to base the functioning of the music events to a great extent upon the experiences of the 924 Gilman Street project.

Secondly, it is hoped that the Joe Strummer Memorial Hall will be a full-time recreation hall, to be used by the youth of Calgary for hanging out and organizing various activities. There are currently not enough places in Calgary where kids are welcome to just hang out and are not expected to be ?consumers? or where they can get together and host their activities. Groups like Food Not Bombs, which are mostly youth based, often have a difficult time finding a space that will allow them to prepare their meals and organize events. It is hoped that the hall will have a fully certified kitchen, so that groups like Food Not Bombs will have a space to operate from that they can feel at home.

Third, it will serve as a memorial to the legacy of Joe Strummer. Why Joe Strummer? Joe Strummer, born John Mellor, was the guitarist, singer and primary composer of the seminal punk-rock band, the Clash, one of the most influential, innovative, and socially conscious rock groups of the twentieth century. This dedication to creating music that challenged barriers was maintained throughout his career, and the Mescaleros album released just after his untimely death ? Streetcore ? is a brilliant exhibition of Joe Strummer?s ongoing vitality and passion. His legacy is one that the Joe Strummer Memorial Society feels is worthy of institutionalizing, since it is one that embodies the combined spirit of rock n roll and social justice. Not only was Joe Strummer a prolific composer and vibrant live performer, but he was also highly active in various campaigns for social justice; he had played benefit concerts for striking workers and loaned his voice to organizations such as the Anti-Nazi League, Rock Against Racism, and Class War. The Joe Strummer Memorial Hall will serve as an active monument to the legacy of this dynamic and creative individual and it is hoped that his namesake might help inspire others to be fearless and creative. The name of the society and the hall has been granted with a full endorsement by the Joe Strummer estate and Strummerville.

In order to raise some of the start-up funds for this notable project, the Joe Strummer Memorial Society is working in conjunction with the Uprise! Festival Society. Uprise! is an annual festival which hosts a benefit concert to raise funds for alternative infrastructure in the City of Calgary. The concerts feature local bands who support the projects through the donation of their time and energy, as well as a select group of out-of-towners who feel that the project is a worthy venture. This year?s Uprise! festival, running from April 14-15, will feature over 40 acts and is hoping to raise some of the initial start-up funds needed for such a large endeavour as the establishment of a new hall in Calgary. Additionally, the concert will serve as a celebration for the spirit of cooperation in musical rebellion, which is still alive and going strong in the city of Calgary.

If you would like any more information on the Joe Strummer Memorial Society, please contact us at strummerhall@gmail.com.

Sincerely,
Mark Bizek
On behalf of the board of
The Joe Strummer Memorial Society of Calgary

It mentions a show in the article, but that was ages ago (and was awesome). There is another show coming up on September 23rd to help raise money for it.

It's amazing how such a mediocre scene can turn out something so awesome.
Oh man... I'm going there on my tour next summer, I've allready decided... unless we find a house show.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
You won't find much in the way of house shows in Calgary. This guy Noah puts them on sometimes, but I don't know him, and I don't go to his shows.

I don't know if the Joe Strummer hall will be built by then either. I can try to get you a show anyway though.
That's really cool.

They should build a G.G. Allin Museum here in Austin, made of fecal matter and used syringes, so I can burn it down.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
Quote by johnnynemo

They should build a G.G. Allin Museum here in Austin, made of fecal matter and used syringes, so I can burn it down.

You might want to bring a gas mask. Feces smell badly when burning. Not that I would know.
Quote by sargasm
You won't find much in the way of house shows in Calgary. This guy Noah puts them on sometimes, but I don't know him, and I don't go to his shows.

That's ****ing crazy, my new bassist is named Noah and he puts on house shows all the time, in fact he's helped with about 5 shows in the last 2 weeks, in the same house.
Sweet, Im going to Calgary in like a week, ill try and check it out
Quote by 4e574e57363g
pwnt

Quote by VodkaPunk
Greatest post ever.
Hey sweet so they actually raised the cash. Awesome possum. I'll make the september shows - the ones I tried to make were apparently sold out.
no
Quote by bucky_2300
Hey sweet so they actually raised the cash.

Eh, they're getting there. It'll probably take more than it took to make Haymarket Cafe.
I saw Operation Ivy in Delaware.
What happened to their scene?

Delware Drunk Crew represent !
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

so they are making a new hall for this? why dont they just use a building already in existence
^ They could technically buy a building - but finding one suited to those purposes in the right area and zone wouldn't be easy, especially in this city right now - buildings are very expensive, and they're sold pretty much as soon as they go up. The people behind this wouldn'tve just decided to build an entirely new venue unless it was the best idea.
no
Quote by johnnynemo
I saw Operation Ivy in Delaware.
What happened to their scene?

Delware Drunk Crew represent !

Op Ivy played in Delaware? That's suprising.
I guess there used to be a scene here, but not much anymore. Most of the places are 21+ and not many touring punk bands come here. There are a few good punk bands, but there's hardly any good shows. Lately I've been going up to Philly almost every week to see shows.
Quote by DumbKids
Op Ivy played in Delaware? That's suprising.
I guess there used to be a scene here, but not much anymore. Most of the places are 21+ and not many touring punk bands come here. There are a few good punk bands, but there's hardly any good shows. Lately I've been going up to Philly almost every week to see shows.

Yeah, it was at a firehall near Dover or Newark in '89 or 90.
I felt that the rise of Jade Tree Records, with all the crappy emo bands like Lifetime and Promise Ring, killed the punk scene in Delaware.

Is the Harmony Grange still open?
That was the only "punk" club that I knew of.
Most of the DDC, that I knew, moved to Philly to escape the crybabies and all the trendy indie kids around the University.
Quote by sargasm

Quote by johnnynemo
Yeah, it was at a firehall near Dover or Newark in '89 or 90.
I felt that the rise of Jade Tree Records, with all the crappy emo bands like Lifetime and Promise Ring, killed the punk scene in Delaware.

Is the Harmony Grange still open?
That was the only "punk" club that I knew of.
Most of the DDC, that I knew, moved to Philly to escape the crybabies and all the trendy indie kids around the University.

The Harmony Grange is open, but is overran with emo and new school hardcore ****.
I didn't know it was ever a "punk" club.