about how far is the pickup supposed to be to the strings on a Les Paul? I know the poles should be around .25" or so. Also I am getting a little buzz from the front pu. what should I be checking to get rid of this? TIA
Pickup height is your preference - closer to the strings makes for louder output, and vice versa.

Buzz could be caused by a number of things, what kind of buzz and does it disappear/increase under any circumstances?
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
If the strings are buzzing physically on your pickup, then you defentailly need to lower it. If it is buzzing but not physically touching the pickup, then your problem is either with action or neck bow (truss rod).
The buzz is not from the string, so what is the problem with the truss rod? is it an easy fix? So whats a generic distance from pickup to string, around 3/8" or so?
sorry for all the Q's.
In case of physical string buzz (meaning you hear the buzz when you play a note), generally if it buzzes on frets 1-7 then the cause is likely to be truss rod maladjustment - not enough bow in the neck. Over those frets, the buzz is probably caused by inappropriately low action - just raise the bridge a bit (this explains how).

As far as pickup height, I keep mine maybe 5-9mm away from the strings. Pickups are magnets, and strings are metal - so the closer your pickups are to the strings, the more magnetic pull there is. If they're too close, you get adverse effects, like sustain decrease, but generally any distance where your strings don't touch the poles is acceptable.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Thanks pifty, so both pickups are 5-9mm from strings? I will set them at 7mm, poles at 5-6mm and go from there. I think the neck may be to straight. I never would have thought that can make the pickup buzz.
frets buzz when the strings rub against them.
this happens when the action (adjusted at the bridge) is too low.

pickups make a buzzing noise when ...

-they are single coils. and are not in the 2 or 4 switch possition.
-when the guitar cord or guitar input is faulty
-when there is an outside interferrence, such as a dimmer switch or computer monitor on.
-when the guitar is not grounded properly
-when the guitar is not shielded properly.

is it electronic or mechanical buzz?
have u tried a different guitar /cord/amp combination?
what type of guitar is it?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by martialman.45
Thanks pifty, so both pickups are 5-9mm from strings? I will set them at 7mm, poles at 5-6mm and go from there. I think the neck may be to straight. I never would have thought that can make the pickup buzz.

Oh oh, don't forget, if it's electrical buzz from the pickup, like humming you hear when you plug the guitar in the amp and flip the switch to rhythm, then the strings, neck, or truss rod have nothing to do with it, and it's just a shielding/grounding issue. Which buzz bothers you?
mine does that too but i dont know what to do
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
Fret buzz only on the neck pickup? That's just plain weird. If there's mechanical fret buzz, you should be able to hear it unplugged.
well if hes having fret buzz coming from the neck pickup should he lower the pickup
Lunatics on pogo sticks
its not the frets at all. The pickup has a buzz that drives me nuts when I play without an amp (which is 90% of the time).
what guitar do you have again
Lunatics on pogo sticks
agile 3000. If putting some more bow in the neck does not fix the problem I will take the pickup out and see if somthing isnt loose.
i would try lowering the pickup first
Lunatics on pogo sticks
I put it as low as it would go and still buzz. Its not the strings hitting, it sounds like somthing is loose.
unplug ur guitar.

shake it. see if u can pin point the noise.
then repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
now its not buzzing or is hardly making any noise. I will shake the thing when i get home and see if that makes some sound.