at my local ponshop they are selling a mesa boogie recto-verb head for 700$,,,,it seems to be in excellent condition ,,,

is this a good deal?should i consider this at all?

i play scorpians,metallica,acdc,
MY GEAR
Marshall 15 watt
Crate 120 watt
Mesa Boogie nomad (head)
OLP guitar mm1
Gibson SG Standard
Acoustic guitar (custom painted)
Boss ds1
Boss t2
Ernie Ball Regular Slinky
Make sure you have a cab to go with it. I would jump on that, although the bands you posted played through Marshalls (save Scorpions, but probably).

Sounds like a pretty decent deal, and check if it has tubes. If it doesn't, haggle them to 600-650, tubes are an added cost.
metallica used Marshall back in the justice days, but I think on the black album they switched to mesa, but I saw on some kind of monster dvd they were using Marshall cabs so I don't know.
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Fender MIA Black/Maple Jazz 4 String
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
you should go for the Rectoverb for that price anyways.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Quote by Bad Seed
metallica used Marshall back in the justice days, but I think on the black album they switched to mesa, but I saw on some kind of monster dvd they were using Marshall cabs so I don't know.

Metallica used Marshalls on the first two albums, and during Master of Puppets and forward have heavily favored the Mesa Boogies.

Now they use many amps.

And if the tubes are in good working order and everything, that's a killer deal.
haha
Quote by The 1
how much would a retube cost on average?

Depends on the nature of the amp.
A Mesa Boogie will purely be the cost of the valves/tubes as they are fixed biased amplifiers.
A store will usually charge in the region of £50 and upwards to bias, test and fit valves/tubes then add on the cost of the valves/tubes themselves.

Threadstarter, it sounds like a good deal if you like the sound of the amp etc. I would thought take it to be serviced after purchase just to make sure everything is ticking along nicely. Replacing the valves/tubes would also be a reccomendation but I'd have it checked over first.
thanks for the help guys
MY GEAR
Marshall 15 watt
Crate 120 watt
Mesa Boogie nomad (head)
OLP guitar mm1
Gibson SG Standard
Acoustic guitar (custom painted)
Boss ds1
Boss t2
Ernie Ball Regular Slinky
Quote by Bad Seed

You mean in the end of Ride the Lightning. You can hear the difference real well with the amps that the marshall produce a fat thicker sound when they palm mute the Low E string and if you hear the Justice CD, the heavy Palm Muting is more clear sounding. Since Mesa is more made for metal.
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Quote by sylent
You mean in the end of Ride the Lightning. You can hear the difference real well with the amps that the marshall produce a fat thicker sound when they palm mute the Low E string and if you hear the Justice CD, the heavy Palm Muting is more clear sounding. Since Mesa is more made for metal.

There's more to mesa than the rectifier series

Its the mark series they're known for, and they're not for metal at all...
Quote by refgerto
There's more to mesa than the rectifier series

Its the mark series they're known for, and they're not for metal at all...

yea mesa is probably better known for there mark series.. but you are wrong when you say they're not for metal... as a matter of fact a lot of people in metal use the Mark IV series in studio and live setups.. example: Mark Morton and Willie Adler of Lamb Of God both use the Mark IV series.. with P59 duncan humbuckers which usually are used for more of a les paul type sound.. now with that being said take a listen to every album put out by them and tell me thats not a metal sound... NO effects just all Mark IV with not so hot pickups..
marks are great amps but ask any guitar player to name a mesa amp and the recto is the first thing that comes to mind and rectos are associated with metal which is how mesa got the metal stamp, i think the roadking is the best amp they have tho, great all rounded amp
Correction: Ask any metal playing guitar player what amp comes to mind. I'd heard about the mark series before i even started playing, and im sitting here with my other guitar playing friend, he says he knew about the mark first, too.
The Marks arent' metal?

Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+, used by a guy named James Hetfield for about every album since Justice.

Tool.
haha
I use a squier strat for hard rock at times, and i love the sound it gives. Does that make squier strats metal guitars?

Tool < Idiot
idk dude i work at a shop that sells mesas all the kids always ask about the rectos, we get alot of older blues musicians that are interested in the marks and lonestars, but all the kids are like plug me into the triple recto
Quote by refgerto
I use a squier strat for hard rock at times, and i love the sound it gives. Does that make squier strats metal guitars?

Tool < Idiot

No, but it makes it a pretty decent hard rock guitar.

Ass.
haha