Poll: Spider 2 30 or Roland Cube 30
Poll Options
View poll results: Spider 2 30 or Roland Cube 30
Spider 2 30
10 25%
Roland Cube 30
30 75%
Voters: 40.
Ive decided that im either gonna get a roland cube 30 or a line 6 spider 2 30 for a new practice amp, but ive heard really split reviews on this site. I'm leaning more to the line 6 at the mo as i play metal such as metallica, megadeth, children of bodom and trivium (yes i know theyre more metalcore). I know they have supposedly good metal and insane channels and im not really bothered about the crunch or the clean. However if anyone that owns a spider 2 or a cube could post any recordings or give me links it would be a lot easier to decide - i cant play them at a music store as theres none near me. Ive heard the rolands good but i havent heard any sound clips and theres more clean and bluesey stuff than metal and distortion and i dont want to buy something which i wont use half of so im probably biased against them. I know the spider gets pulled to bits but from the thing i heard on their website (which is probably made to sound better than it is) it didnt sound too shabby. anyway if anyone could post metal-ish sound from either amp it would help greatly. Thanks.

Oh and sorry for the massive essay - i got a bit carried away
get the spider since your more into metal cause it has better distortion. I have a cube 30, and it is a good amp but the line 6 is better for metal
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
roland cube is for metal, spiders suck
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

anyone have recordings of a cube 30 set to a good metal tone then?
they should have clips on their website, i heard some.
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

Quote by jerm__
get the spider since your more into metal cause it has better distortion. I have a cube 30, and it is a good amp but the line 6 is better for metal

you suck

The spider is a terrible amp.

The cube is an amazing amp.

Cube >>>>>>>>>>>> Spider ...for everything
Got any specific riffs you want recorded? I'll see what I can do, just found an old mic that seems to be miles clearer than my 5 dollar one..
Roland is better than the spider at anything, well the spider might be better at crap but if you're playing music from the crap genre you probably should sell your guitar.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

Roland.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
The engineering teams that concocted the Spiders and polluted our ears with it's auditory stench should get the firing squad - right after the same is done to the tem of engineers that designed the Marshall MG.

So yeah, Roland....
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
u guys should relli post a spider 2 and a roland cube sample side by side, or do soem sort of exact comparison instead of always having a harsh and objective opinion. i have a roland cube and it feels and sounds awesome btw.
Quote by sg-rocker173
I take it you don't want any clips then? :/ I have a Roland Cube ready to record for you.

Any clips of the distortion settings on it would be great it you could get some on here. Thanks
Quote by suicidalmoose
u guys should relli post a spider 2 and a roland cube sample side by side, or do soem sort of exact comparison instead of always having a harsh and objective opinion. i have a roland cube and it feels and sounds awesome btw.

Yeah thats the only reason i havent made up my mind and bought one yet - i'd listen to the harsh reviews of the spider but like people think - its better to try an amp before you buy - and because i cant try one first hand the only way is to find some good samples
Unbiased samples of both amps from the same person will be really hard to come by, since I doubt many people actually own or have access to both of these amps. People who own either of these amps will most likely be beginners anyway, and the fact they even have one amp is a feat in itself. The only real way to equally compare them is if you have clips of the same person playing the same thing on both amps with the same guitar.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

hmm, the line 6 sounds kinda mediocre there. Any distortion cube 30 sounds tho? the only thing on that site was a clean or bluesy micro cube and that aint my kind of thing
Again, unless the clips were recorded playign the same song with the same guitar on the 2 amps, recorded with the same mic and processed in software the exact same way, any sound clip comparisons are meaningless.

I'll record some drop tuned power chords with a metal setting in a bit.

I don't really play metal though, I mainly got the cube for hard rock. :/
Cube FTW
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
Get the Roland. From what I've heard, Line 6 makes great pedals, but they make bad amps.