5150 combo or a peavey valveking
or roland cube 60

i need a new amp, all my threads haven't been getting too many replies, and they all tell me these different amps.
5150 although i must say theyre horribly overrated
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
Quote by wingedgopher
5150 although i must say theyre horribly overrated

yea right. 5150>you
^ agreed

Ok...well...seeing as how you have it down to these...id say go for the Cube because it dousnt sound like your ready at all for a raging tube amp. Maybe do some more research.
i'm just trying to find something that's affordable.
and it has to be able to be heard over drums..
without having to mic it.

any suggestions
For metal the 5150 is king, atleast out of those options.
If cleans are more important I would look at a fender,
The roland does a handful of tones well, but no fantastic sounds.(IMO)
The valve king is a good entry level tube amp, the stock speaker is rubbish (Peavey is notorious for this) and the stock tubes aint great. With some changes it's a great versitile amp.
My choice would be the valveking with a speaker and tube change and a good overdrive to push it a little harder.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

Quote by Blinded0n1sidE
Ok, well what kind of music will you MAINLY be playing with it?

Can't you guess by his icon
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Jul 19, 2006,
5150 by far is a better amp.

its simple

5150>you and all amps in its price range

It Should be able to handle Blink type tones im pretty sure whats his name uses a mesa
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
5150 might be the best metal amp in its price range, but you could get better for less than an arm and a leg.

also i think the Mesa F series are smoother and less muddy.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Ya but if i got mesa i would get a Mark series
Quote by Syn Harvest
Ya but if i got mesa i would get a Mark series

A Mark IV is almost twice the price of a 5150 though. An F-50 is roughly the same price.

Ya but a Mark IV pwns both those amp im jusst spamming now. Hey do they make a F series head or are they just combos
Quote by Syn Harvest
Ya but a Mark IV pwns both those amp im jusst spamming now. Hey do they make a F series head or are they just combos

F's come in head an combo, i think any mesa amp that isn't a boogie amp will have a head.

ya thats what i thought i was just curious i still think the Mark IV pwns all other mesas except maybe the older Mark amps and the Triaxis god do i love that Triaxis i wish i could get one damn expensive ass gear
aznrocker, I like Blink, but I don't play music like theirs

the music I'd play on it is mainly like guns and roses, metallica, black sabbath, some greenday, some blink, the used, underOATH, and the parts for songs I'm working on

yeah
I don't know if any of those amps would be good for those styles. The Valveking maybe, but I think the 5150 is too metal for those, except underoath but one band out of seven doesn't make me want to say the 5150. A mesa F series would probably be better than the other amps for these tones, I haven't played one but I own a 5150 and it CAN do most of those tones but it's not the best for them.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
A tube marshall or a Traynor
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Yeah, those traynors rock! I know ac30's are probably out of the question but check them out !
Check out laneys, i don't honestly know how people could get an amp without a proper clean (like the 5150/6505), i mean i like playin with heaps of gain and fuzzy distortion is awesome but there are just times u need that sparkling clean, and it can be so much more effective then just distorting everything. buyin an amp without clean is like buying half an amp imo.
Of the ones mentioned, the 5150 stands head and shoulders above the others. I had one for almost 2 years and I found it an extremely versatile amp, actually. Metal is definately it's main focus, but you can coax just about any sound out of it as long as you're not looking for pristine cleans. Cleans are acceptable at best.

The Valveking is a decent amp too. However, I think it 'needs work' out of the box. Unlike Peavey's more expensive USA-made amps, VK are made in China (hence the low, low price) , and the components (tubes, speakers) really show this. But as an entry-level tube amp, it is quite good, and offers plenty of room for easy modifications that can make it sound pretty good. A VK with a good overdrive like a Boss SD-1 or Ibanez Tube Screamer would be a good, affordable choice.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
ok dude, ignore everyone here, they have all been suggesting metal amps, and you dont play much metal, check out the traynor 50blue (its blue) and get an overdrive pedal with it, itll help playing metalica.
"i disagree, I play on my own and if I had to play through my avt for another minute I'd probably poke a fork into the input, with the hope of both electrocuting myself and destroying the amp in one fell swoop."
-Dave_mc

Best video ever
i agree with that obilisk guy, get something that'll do a good clean, though don't discount some "metal amps" or amps that are labelled as metal by ug'rs because for example a lot of the laney amps (even the ones used by opeth) are also quite good for jaz and low gain rock.
i'm around a 400$ budget here, and most of the traynors and laneys cost more than that.
hmmm 5150 is more expensive then that traynor i was pretty sure. ebay it. also laneys are pretty cheap but maybe harder then ebay. didn't realise you could get a 5150 combo for 400$ in the first place.
For $400, you'd seriously be better off looking at a good solid state amp. For that price, you'll get a bare-bones entry-level tube amp at best, where you can get a pretty full-featured solid state that will suit your needs better. With that budget, my top choice would be a Peavey Bandit Transtube. Best bang for the buck in terms of size, versatility, and functionality.

And there's no reason in the world that you need a tube amp. You'll get a lot of people here telling you otherwise because the «popular» (also misinformed) opinion here on UG that solid state amps suck and that you need tubes to sound good. That's utter and total bullshìt. You NEED a tube amp just as much as a newly licensed driver NEEDS a Ferarri to get him from point A to point B. You can get excellent sound out of a good solid state amp.

As a guide - avoid the super-low-cost ss amps that promise to be everything to everyone. These include the entire Line 6 Spider and Marshall MG series. These amps are loaded with effects and gimmicky shìt that are meant to entice the noob crowd rather than being functional tools. If these were desireable features, PRO-level amps would have them as well.

So of all the amps you mentioned, the Cube 60 would probably be your best option. I'd still get a Peavey Bandit instead, but the Cube is fine.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor