Hey, I have a little situation here, and I thought I'd get some advice from you guys. I was retuning my guitar not that long ago into a standard tuning, and everytime I got the open string to match exactly to the tone of the online tuner I was using, when I went to the 5th fret of the same exact string to see if it matched with the open string's tone, the 5th fret tone sounded way too high in pitch. Now I sat there continually lowering the pitch, but the 5th fret tone wouldn't come close to matching the tone of the open string. So whats the problem here? Did I not turn the tuning pegs enough or is it a case of getting new strings? I got this guitar back in February, but unfortunately I haven't played it as much as I would like to have. So these strings couldn't have been deadened by overplay. What should be my course of action?
change your strings first. have you had them for more than like a month or 2? they may be starting to screw up and get out of tune easily, but im not sure
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
Quote by rnrsoldier1461
change your strings first. have you had them for more than like a month or 2? they may be starting to screw up and get out of tune easily, but im not sure

I've had them since I bought the guitar. But they could of been on that guitar for a much longer period of time sitting in the guitar store (Who knows how often they change them?). It's strange because when I was tuning it up about a month ago constantly, the strings would pretty much be in tune so I barely had to touch the tuning pegs. Now it's just all messed up.
ooo man the strings are probly really old. the guitar stores dont do jack to the guitars like change strings or ne thing like that as far as i know. you really need to get new ones
Lunatics on pogo sticks
sry for the double post but when you get a new guitar you should always put new strings on it soon after you get it, you should probably get it professionally set up also
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Quote by rnrsoldier1461
sry for the double post but when you get a new guitar you should always put new strings on it soon after you get it, you should probably get it professionally set up also

Yeah, I had an older model before this one and I attempted to change the strings on that one but the strings kept breaking on me because that bridge was kind of messed up. Anyways, how much does it cost to get it professionally setup?
Quote by rocknrollgod
the first thing i do when i geta guitar is change the strings

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it.
no problem. i took my guitar to a small local shop and it costed me 20 bucks + strings, you can have them put them on if ur unsure about doing it urself
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Quote by rnrsoldier1461
no problem. i took my guitar to a small local shop and it costed me 20 bucks + strings, you can have them put them on if ur unsure about doing it urself

I read up on changing strings, but the part I got confused on was where you have to loop the string after sliding it through the peg post. Also, I don't think I wrapped enough string around the post which is probably why I could never get my older model back in tune (for the strings I was "successful" with).
ok heres how u do it, i do it this way and it works

after the string is thru the bridge and stick your hand on the fretboard so the side of your hand is touching the fretboard (to where your thumb is on top). and put the string over your hand and thru the tuner. that then make a kink in the string going away from the middle of headstock. then, right above the nut, hold the string down against the headstock and use your string winder to turn the machine head and once the string gets semi-tight you can let go and continue.
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Quote by rnrsoldier1461
ok heres how u do it, i do it this way and it works

after the string is thru the bridge and stick your hand on the fretboard so the side of your hand is touching the fretboard (to where your thumb is on top). and put the string over your hand and thru the tuner. that then make a kink in the string going away from the middle of headstock. then, right above the nut, hold the string down against the headstock and use your string winder to turn the machine head and once the string gets semi-tight you can let go and continue.

Thanks for the advice. That method makes more sense than the stuff I was reading. Quick question: Approximately how many revolutions around the post before the string gets semi-tight?
you'll be able to tell because the string will start to lift up your finger even if your holding tight, probably about 4-6 times of the string wrapping around the tuner
Lunatics on pogo sticks
sry for the double post but when ur first turning the machine head, make sure the string is winding from the bottom of the tuner up
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Quote by rnrsoldier1461
sry for the double post but when ur first turning the machine head, make sure the string is winding from the bottom of the tuner up

Thanks for all of the advice again.
no problem
Lunatics on pogo sticks
The wound strings will only need to wrap around the tuning pegs around 3 times while the smooth ones will need 5 - 6
if the new strings dont fix the problem, then its most likely your intonation that needs to be adjusted.. jenny posted this guide in some other thread:

SETTING INTONATION:
Most electric guitars provide individual string length adjustment for setting intonation. Fine tuning this length insures that your guitar plays in tune all the way up and down the neck.

Using an electronic tuner, tune your guitar to pitch.
One string at a time, play the harmonic at the 12th fret and then play the fretted 12th fret note.
If the fretted note is sharper than the harmonic, increase the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
If the fretted note is flat compared to the harmonic shorten the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
Repeat the procedure on all strings until the harmonic and the fretted notes are the same.
from icepoint.com

and if it feels stuck then move the saddle by hand, like said.
if its still shot the try the new strings, like said.
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
yep, ^ the threadstarter seems to have an intonation problem.

thats when the strings arent in tune the length of the fretboard.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011