Page 1 of 2
I read about the albums a few days ago, and then Miranda told me about a tour but said it was with the Cardinals so I'm really not bothered about seeing that. He's always come off better as a solo performer in my eyes.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
^you should have seen him on his last tour; he was awesome.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
oh matt. damn. i just left you a myspace comment telling you this before i came in here.

*cough*

i should have known really that you would have known.

anyway i'll see you there?!
Quote by Kensai
Maybe you've heard what the ladies say: "Once you go 77mm you don't go back"
At one point in the 70s, Elton John released 16 albums in a 2-3 year period.

I love how this is an all-mod thread.
Hi, I'm Peter
I agree with "noise_is_good!". Why can't he just release one great album? There's bound to be at least some filler in the three.
Quote by IronBeard
I agree with "noise_is_good!". Why can't he just release one great album? There's bound to be at least some filler in the three.

the three he released last year were all fantastic albums.

ryan just writes a hell of a lot of great songs; i mean, between heartbreaker and gold (both awesome albums) he recorded 4 albums worth of other material. that other material is now widely available. its awesome.

so yeah, cant wait for the three new albums, cant wait to see him live again. should be pretty interesting to see him with the cardinals...

and alice, i told you already, but whatever; you certainly shall!
To Ryan Adams, an album just isn't a bunch of songs thrown together in a way that's arranged nicely. An album is, in and of itself, an artistic statement. If you listen to the entire album you have a very good idea of what he himself is going through. Heartbreaker was an album he wrote right after a relationship of his went wrong, and it's sparse. It has very little instrumentation on most songs other than a guitar, a piano, and a harmonica. It's pretty great, when you factor in his ridiculous ability to write a great song with really "true" lyrics.

He pretty much has no patience for the idea of a "music business" as it is, where he'd release an album a year or so, because he has fans that are loyal and hardcore, and they'll buy what he releases, so he just releases albums as artistic statements. He has an album full of rock n roll tunes, some alternative country albums, and one or two that I don't really know how to describe... Love Is Hell was so dark and subdued (but so poignant and well-written, to my ears) that the label refused to release it at first. And it's honestly one of my favorite albums ever.

So yeah, you could say he's flooding the market but as long as everything's quality (and since 2000 when he went solo, everything has been) then it's good to go.

And you'd be better off listening to the albums before you tried to criticize that he's throwing a bunch of crap songs together and could make one album out of three, because to be honest, if I were writing songs that good, I'd want them all out there. It's not quantity over quality, it's quantity for the sake of quantity. Though if they're all in the same vein as 29 I probably won't get them all.

I'm so excited, as I thought I was one of the only Ryan Adams fans round here. Buncha mad delinquent metalheads.
Last edited by pratt121 at Jul 20, 2006,
^^ Love is Hell wasn't just well-written, it's probably his greatest work (IMO). It's one of the best albums I own. It's even better than Gold, which is another great album that I could listen to endlessly. I can even stand to listen to Jacksonville City Nights, his most "country" effort to date, because it's quality. Between "Come Pick Me Up" and "English Girls Approximately," Ryan Adams writes the best breakup songs since Jeff Buckley.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jul 20, 2006,
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
and alice, i told you already, but whatever; you certainly shall!

and that goes to anyone in the northern region of england: get to the manchester gig \m/

Quote by Dirk Gently
I love how this is an all-mod thread.

gurgle isn't a mod...
Quote by Kensai
huh?
Quote by Kensai
I wasn't being literal when I said "All mods." It's just funny how 3 of the first 5-6 responses were by mods.

Mods...
Hi, I'm Peter
love is hell is actually one of my least favourite ryan albums. dont get me wrong, i like it lots but i dont think itd even get into my top ten ryan records (if we're allowed to include whiskeytown i would have to put ahead of it heartbreaker, demolition, cold roses, gold, 48 hours, suicide handbook, pneumonia, strangers almanac, faithless street and rural free delivery). i think that reflects more on the brilliance of ryan than anything else though...

im sure its gonna hit me that its really awesome sometime though. that happened recently with the velvet teen - out of the fierce parade... i always kinda liked it, but not loads... then i listened again recently and realised it was absolutely amazingly incredible.
I rate them in this order:

Love Is Hell - from a songwriting standpoint and just as a fan of music, this album as a whole (not the individual songs, which don't stand out a ton, but the entire album) is just a work of art about how love can be haunting. I place it in the same tier as Jeff Buckley's Grace as one of the albums that rocked my musical world and changed my perspective entirely. It's just amazing.
Heartbreaker - the best breakup album since Dylan's Blood on the Tracks. I love the instrumentation on this album and its minimalist style... the songs really stand up on their own. If a song can't pass as an acoustic guitar and voice song, it's not going to pass anywhere else.
Jacksonville City Nights - I never loved country before this album, and it didn't convert me. But the songwriting is splendid and the September documentary is really fun to watch. The Hardest Part is one of my favorite tunes by him, so :P
Gold - The pop/classic rock vibe mixes with the alternative country vibe to make this album really sweet... Goodnight Hollywood Boulevard is a beautiful way to end it.
Rock N Roll - The idea that he can just switch genres over and play all his own guitars and get that crunchy Tele, Keith Richards-y sound is really cool. I got into this at the same time as getting into bands like the Smiths, the Strokes, and the Rolling Stones, so this one's cool-rock vibe makes it jump ahead of the ones I find to be a little less exciting. It's not "all-time-favorite-album" status like those previously mentioned, but it's still fun to listen to and play.
Demolition - Chock full of awesome songs, but the album doesn't have a statement as much as Heartbreaker or Love is Hell have. I can't get a reading on it.
Cold Roses - doesn't do it for me as much as JCN -- it's full of good songs but as an album it sorta runs together for me, and I don't love that.
29 - Seems like Cold Roses again. Carolina Rain is amazing, it's the only song that really caught my ear off this album.

i just bought two tickets for the manchester gig... cant wait.

i might go to nottingham too if they dont sell out by the time ive got more money.

oh, im so excited.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
i just bought two tickets for the manchester gig... cant wait.

DITTO!
Quote by Kensai
Bah goddamit. The West Country is overlooked by this oh-so-limited tour. Nearest one to where I'll be will be Birmingham
i hope you don't mean that literally jon. we're bandmates but that's as far as it goes
Quote by Kensai
Quote by j0nmcc
do an alice, and go to manchester. ^^

In september I'll be living in Exeter again

Which is

but Ryan Adams isn't going anywhere near Exeter. Which is
Quote by j0nmcc
aww, ^^ <333

one of my friends linked me to that. they were all 'i saw this and thought of you'. it was good lolz.
^lolol.

my tickets were meant to come today, and they haven't
Quote by Kensai
^yeah, i like it lots. its not all that new though, and its not actually called 'france' either, or so says the dot org...
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
^yeah, i like it lots. its not all that new though, and its not actually called 'france' either, or so says the dot org...

Well.... yeah I guess, but I mean the majority of Ryans stuff isn't "new" persay since a lot of the material has been around for a while.

I hope the albums get a release soonish. 2006 would be THE best year for albums hands down if one gets a release.
Quote by onlyonehere
Well.... yeah I guess, but I mean the majority of Ryans stuff isn't "new" persay since a lot of the material has been around for a while.

I hope the albums get a release soonish. 2006 would be THE best year for albums hands down if one gets a release.

true, true. i remember hearing dance all night on cold roses and being sure id heard it before, then realising that it was on some bootlegs i had from 2000... kerrazy.
He probably just writes a boatload of stuff and then fits it together thematically to make an album. A lot of Radiohead stuff stays around for a while as an unreleased track or a B-side before getting put on an album.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
He probably just writes a boatload of stuff and then fits it together thematically to make an album. A lot of Radiohead stuff stays around for a while as an unreleased track or a B-side before getting put on an album.

He's constantly writing so yeah that's most likely what he does. I think he's the most prolific songwriter of this generation. He manages it so well to.
hes playing at the end of the road festival. i wish i had more money, or that i knew people who were going, cos then i could sell my leeds ticket and not be bothered about it. .
Not to advertise, but if anyone is interested in 2 ryan adams tickets for manchester on thurs 28th september... um yeah well I'm selling mine
Quote by Kensai
Page 1 of 2