Ok Mr. Know-it-alls. Im curious as to how my Triple will sound at 100watts (Probably identical to a Dual..duh). I know you can remove power tubes to reduce wattage. And I know that with the Dual you remove the two middle power tubes and then you have 50watts.

But what happens when you have SIX power tubes?! Theres 4 middle ones!

So the QUESTION: Which power tubes do I remove to get 100watts.

Out of 1-2-3-4-5-6 Im thinking 3 and 4 are the ones.

And can I SAFELY remove 4 tubes? Making it 50watts?
I'm not sure about 4 tubes, but I've seen the 2 inner removed. I'm pretty sure it's the same principle with 2 pairs pulled though. I'm not sure how to compensate for the increased impedance however. I think if your amp was set to 8ohm, with 2 pulled it would really be 12 ohm, and with 4 pulled, it would really be 24ohm. You'll want to confirm that however, I'm no expert. Also, if you pull 2 tubes, I think you also remove one of the rectifier tubes, at least that's how the one I saw was done. I think he removed the middle one IIRC. Have you tried posting this on HC yet, there are probably guys that have done it there.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
^ no i havnt tried HC yet. Yeah youd want to remove a rectifier tube if you had it set to run them instead of silcon-diodes.

I was reading the manual for the head and apparently slightly mismatching impedance levels wont hurt the amp at all.

*runs to HC*
Hmm. I've got a question. How close could you come to getting the tone of another amp if you replaced a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier's tubes with lets say the tubes Orange uses?

Probably a dumb question, but I'm just wanting to learn. Anyways, are there any websites online that can teach me about Rectifiers, Silicon-Diodes, Speakers, Tubes, and Impedences, and OHMs as well? The basic stuff and even the more complicated stuff, you know. What they are, how they effect the amp and sound, all that good stuff.
I always thought removing tubes would make your tone sound sorta muddy and not as clear? Just a thought, I've never tried it, my DeVille only has 2 power tubes.
Quote by im fresh to it
Anyways, are there any websites online that can teach me about Rectifiers, Silicon-Diodes, Speakers, Tubes, and Impedences, and OHMs as well? The basic stuff and even the more complicated stuff, you know. What they are, how they effect the amp and sound, all that good stuff.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278232
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by HomerHitter
I always thought removing tubes would make your tone sound sorta muddy and not as clear? Just a thought, I've never tried it, my DeVille only has 2 power tubes.

it doesnt effect your tone. I just want to experiment with wattage to obtain my sound.

Nobody knows?!?!??!
i honestly think you'd have to remove rectifier tubes to compensate. but it should work.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
^ i know youd need to remove rectifier tubes (if you had it set to use them)..

[edit] Just found it online...you cant do it with the Triple Rectos...only the Duals.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
are you sure man, I'm almost positive I've seen it done, unless I was completely seeing something wrong. Have you tried contacting Mesa directly yet to ask them?

they have it listed in the manual for the dual, so I'm sure they would tell you if it's possible for the triple.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jul 20, 2006,
Quote by Blinded0n1sidE
^ i know youd need to remove rectifier tubes (if you had it set to use them)..

[edit] Just found it online...you cant do it with the Triple Rectos...only the Duals.

Too bad.
Attenuator maybe??
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^ maybe.

Volume isnt a problem. I live about a half mile away from anybody and I have my own studio about 20 feet away from my house.

I guess my goal to try to find out wether 100watts sounds different then 150watts...er..idk.

But yeah Eric (erock) its listed in the manual that you can do it with the Duals...but it says nothing about the Triples.

*contacting Mesa now*
150 is not actually that big of a difference, the more power an amp has, the more power is needed to make it slightly louder. The extra 50watts is probably just for more clean headroom.

but its odd that the Recto still has yet to have the 50w switch when a bunch of other mesa models do.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
that makes sense, but the Single is significantly cheaper than the Duals and Triples, people wouldn't pay $500 extra for 50/100w.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
^ yeah.

thats why i love my JCM900 too. it has the 50/100watt switch. it doesnt just change the wattage...it changes something else that makes it sound different too..but i forgot what it was.
Random responses:

1) I dont believe you can do this with the triple because of how it is wired. Your options are an attenuator or getting a power reducer and converting your 6-6L6 tubes into EL84 tubes to reduce the power output of the amp.

2) Mesa doesnt have a 100/50 watt switch on the dual rec because you can take out the middle 2 tubes and 1 rectifier tube and make it 50 watts. A switch would be handy because it would avoid a whole 15 seconds of work removing the tubes..... but essentially removing 3 tubes (2 power and 1 rectifier) does the same thing a 100/50 switch would.

3) Putting a 50/100 switch on the triple rec wont effect single rec sales because although they would be at the same power, the single is a 2 channel amp whereas the triple and dual are 3 channel amps. However putting a 150/100 switch on a triple essentially makes it a dual.....

If you find out that you can do it on a triple, which I dont believe you can but I am not 100% certain, please post because I am curious about the answer.....
Dual Rec
Dual Rec Tremoverb
F-50 1x12
Nomad 55 1x12
Mesa 4x12 Slant w/ Black shadows

Gibson LP Special
Gibson LP Custom
Washburn EA14MR