getting a new bass soon have no idea what bass to get
was thinking a Fender Standard Jazz bass i play mostly metal and punk
so if you guys have any suggestions that would be great

thinking of going 5 string so if you can tell me some good ones that would also be great

budget of $600
yeah, personally i dont like 5 strings. unless you have a specific reason for having one the low string is pretty useless, unless you take alot of solos or write alot with a band thant wants a lower sound. idk thats just my opinion.
Member #19 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club."

Quote by chaoticmayhem
Toads are cool; it's those frog bastards that I don't like.

Whats your philosophy on life?
its so good to be back!
if you play metal like children of bodom then get a 5 string. If you play more metallica like stuff, go with a 4 string. For bass guitars, I really don't know which are good brands but ya can't go wrong an ESP
~To live is to die~
yeah i figured that about 5 strings so what would be a good 4 string?

so far i had suggestions of Fender standard jazz bass and epiphone thunderbird

those anygood?
Last edited by bassistoverlord at Jul 19, 2006,
if you get a five string, make sure you have an amp that can handle the low B (like not using microcube guitar amps) unless you get it with a high C.

I'd get a fiver, four strings doesn't seem like enough, imo.

ibanez is a good brand, and I've heard fender tends to have floppy B's
Can't go wrong with an ibanez, buddy. The way to go would be an SR505 or SRX505 (depending on the look you like). They're both great, and both below $600
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Fender makes a standard Jazz V.

(5 string, in case you cant tell)
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
What exactly are the benifits to having a 5-string anyway? And what type of skill would be needed to take advantage of 5 strings anyway? I do mainly play metal.
personally i can noy stand playing a four string.i feel like i am missing a limb without the low B.you say that you play metal.well.the b comes in handy just for drop tuning alone.i like to change octaves and also create harmonies with two other guitars a lot.if you want to have the most potential of oppertuinities out of your bass then why not go for the 5 string.what have you not to gain.

i'm not saying 4 string guitars are pointless.they are not, but, the five string offers more.
Quote by lol2theworld
I was about to diss kornflipsk8er, but then i realized hes an 03er and im an 09er.
I am inferior to him.

Quote by metalh3ad88
I am fairly certain that kornflipsk8er is GOD!!!11!!!!1!!
Quote by Your41Plague12
Can't go wrong with an ibanez, buddy.

ahh.i dissagree.for guitars,ibanez is my top choice but for bass it is quite low on the list.ESP basses are the way to go,esspecially for metal.

i was going to get an ibanez bass but quickly found that they just do not make basses as good as their nearly flawless guitars.

p.s.active pickups. no other way.
Quote by lol2theworld
I was about to diss kornflipsk8er, but then i realized hes an 03er and im an 09er.
I am inferior to him.

Quote by metalh3ad88
I am fairly certain that kornflipsk8er is GOD!!!11!!!!1!!