i want a floyd rose guitar, but im in fear of the tremelo.

i play a lot of drop d, but also a lot of standard. how difficult will it be to go back and forth? i dont need it for like gigs, but like at home when i practice, if i get inspired to switch at the spur of the moment, will i be able to?
i lost my virginity. can i have yours?

Member #18 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join

One nation, under a fictitious almighty power
yeah, you can still change the pitch of the string, just in a different place ( at the bridge instead of tuning pegs). Go down to a local guitar store and if they have any guitars with a floyd try it out. Don't get stuck with something you don't like.

myspace.com/weasheroesband
Tune the E string to a D but with the fine tuner all the way loose. Then when you want to tune it to E, tighten the fine tuner. Works everytime, unless its a ****ty floyd.
depends, if you like to experiment with tunings you should get a tremol-no unit which stops it floating so you can use alternate tunings and then make it float again when your in standard for all those whammy tricks.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
it's not hard to go back and forth just use the fine tuners but some of the strings will be slightly out of tune like it won't be perfect drop tuning least on my floyd it's really sensitive so if you want perfect tune drop d then you'd have to balance the trem again
thanks guys, i probably should try it
i lost my virginity. can i have yours?

Member #18 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join

One nation, under a fictitious almighty power
Quote by VashHash
it's not hard to go back and forth just use the fine tuners but some of the strings will be slightly out of tune like it won't be perfect drop tuning least on my floyd it's really sensitive so if you want perfect tune drop d then you'd have to balance the trem again

It should be fine, because when you use the fine tuner, it pushes the saddle down causing it to get tighter and tune. When you tune with the fine tuners, the strings doesnt pull the bridge. Your other strings shouldnt go out of tune, unless its a ****ty floyd.
^No, the other strings will go out of tune, but only slightly. I have a ZR trem, and it still would do it, and it is far from ****ty.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
^ You must have a horrible set up then. My OFR doesnt go out of tune on the other strings when using the fine tuners.
Quote by Dudemandude
^ You must have a horrible set up then. My OFR doesnt go out of tune on the other strings when using the fine tuners.

um no, and with a FLOATING floyd the other strings will still go out of tune because its not setup for drop d it doesnt matter what bridge you have and all the other strings are probably still slightly out of tune for you, you probably just dont notice.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
theres a device evh used that you put in it and you pull it out to put it in drop d and push it in for standard ill try and find it

here it is:
linky
[member of UG's Slide Player Legion
PM Shedmeiser101 to join if your feelin dem blues
Quote by spaminator101
theres a device evh used that you put in it and you pull it out to put it in drop d and push it in for standard ill try and find it

here it is:
linky

That won't work unless the trem is flatmount (dive only) which 90% of floyd guitars nowadays are not.
Quote by ScottishAngus
um no, and with a FLOATING floyd the other strings will still go out of tune because its not setup for drop d it doesnt matter what bridge you have and all the other strings are probably still slightly out of tune for you, you probably just dont notice.

If you set it up the way i said, the strings dont go flat or sharp when using the fine tuner. I use Drop C (CGCFAD), that with the 6th string's fine tuner almost all the way loosened. Then when i tune to D Standard (DGCFAD) i tighten the fine tuner all the way down. The other 5 strings dont go even a tad bit out of tune. This is with streched strings, about 2 weeks in.
Quote by ScottishAngus
That won't work unless the trem is flatmount (dive only) which 90% of floyd guitars nowadays are not.

my bad
[member of UG's Slide Player Legion
PM Shedmeiser101 to join if your feelin dem blues
Quote by Dudemandude
If you set it up the way i said, the strings dont go flat or sharp when using the fine tuner. I use Drop C (CGCFAD), that with the 6th string's fine tuner almost all the way loosened. Then when i tune to D Standard (DGCFAD) i tighten the fine tuner all the way down. The other 5 strings dont go even a tad bit out of tune. This is with streched strings, about 2 weeks in.

that may be true but i bet when you switch tunings your intonation goes to ****.. and dont say it doesnt b/c there isnt a trem system out there that wont knock off your intonation.. (other than the new floyd that comes on the new Ibanez Prestige series that lets you adjust intonation on the fly).. just like tuning from E to D or C to C#.. just the least bit of tension off the string will throw off your intonation while everything sounds in tune break out the old tuner and start tuning at your intonation point and lets see how close everything is...
Tremol-no unit's rock! I'm getting mine soon! It will transform my rg1570 into my dream guitar! :P