I was looking at getting the Marshall AVT 150HX I was wondering if someone could tell me what they think of this amp and possibly find me a sound clip, if someone thinks that this is not a could choice what is better? This amp is only going to cast 750 +tax.
What kind of music do you play? I've owned the AVT100, and I thought it was WAY overpriced for what you're getting.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
i play a variety of music kiss, van halen, iron maiden, metallica, but for the tone i'm looking for tone i guess i'm looking for something like Metallica Fade to black distortion. I only have $1000.
For $1000 you can get a good, full tube half stack, or a great, full tube combo.

The AVT will work for you for a while, but you'll want to upgrade again soon after you get it. Go for a tube amp and you won't need to upgrade any time soon.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
B-52 AT-100
ENGL Screamer or Thunder combo
Peavey XXX combo
Marshall DSL 401
Ashdown Fallen Angel (IDK honestly, but I've heard some good things)
There should be quite a few good amps in your pricerange depending what you play. What kind of music are you looking to cover, and can you buy used? Also, what cab do you have already, since you were asking about a head?

edit: sorry, didn't see you said that already. I like El Codyo's amps, maybe look at the Mesa F-series, JCM's, and 5150 too. That's if you can buy used.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jul 21, 2006,
No thats with a cab, and i would rather not buy used. I play stuff like Kiss, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Van Halen. I like Iron Maiden's sound in children of the damned both clean and distorted.
If you want a metallica sound, i think mesa boogies would be a better fit. if you don't have enough money, got for some peavey's. the avt isn't the greatest marshall and i dont think it's worth the money. it isnt a full tube amp and most of the marshall hybrids aren't that great.
malmsteen on jerry c "you are a rising force"
ive owned the AVT if you buy it used its ok but new price u dont get much it takes awhile to setup and get a good tone but i will admit i did like the tones, not as much as my triple recto or 2210 but its a good amp
Don't automatically say no to used amps. You'll often save alot of money buying used and the only consequence will be a small tear in the tolex (or something similar). The same thing will only happen to your amp over time as you take it to clubs and shows and practice.

As far as suggestions:
Peavey 5150 or 6505 (head/cab or combo)
Marshall TSL602 (buy the combo and then buy a 2x12 extension cab if it becomes necessary later on)
Fender '82 Walnut Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
EHX English Muff'n
Boss DD-6
For $750 you could get a Traynor YCV50 Blue which is very similar to a Marshall JCM800 or DSL, only with a darker voicing and more gain. It's also significantly cheaper.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Xenn99
For $1000 you can get a good, full tube half stack, or a great, full tube combo.

The AVT will work for you for a while, but you'll want to upgrade again soon after you get it. Go for a tube amp and you won't need to upgrade any time soon.

Tell me what kind of "full tube half stack" you can get for $1000", because I've never seen a tube head alone for under $1200.
Last edited by jmac72187 at Jul 21, 2006,
Quote by sabbath1313
Tell me what kind of "full tube half stack" you can get for $1000", because I've never seen a tube head alone for under $1200.

Peavey Valveking 100w head with a cabinet only adds up to about $900. Even less if you can get a deal.

If you're going to try to make someone look like a liar, you should check and make sure that you're correct first.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
Peavey Valveking 100w head with a cabinet only adds up to about $900. Even less if you can get a deal.

If you're going to try to make someone look like a liar, you should check and make sure that you're correct first.

ya biatch
can you get me some sound samples of the peavey valveking and the ENGL Screamer and Thunder
valveking from peavey's site:
http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116188/number/00575640/cat/308/begin/1/ValveKing%AE+112+Combo.cfm

ENGL clips from rocksolidamps.com, scroll down and I saw some screamer and thunder clips.
http://www.rocksolidamps.com/sounds.php
amp clips
amp vids