okay i herd the other day that a tube amp would be alot louder than a solid state
say if the solid state amp was 50 watts how many watts would the tube amp be?
About 20w all tube give or take.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
a 20w tube amp would be about the same loudness as a 50w Solid state
Member 3 of the FINAL FANTASY VII club.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
^^yes
Member of UG's gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join.
the basic rule of thumb is about 2.5 times, if i remeber correctly. so a 50w tube amp would sound as lound as a 150w SS amp, aproximately. its not an exact science, but thats kinda a rule to remember.
^ that's actualy x3, which is for 6l6 varieties of tubes. el34 would be x2. and kt88 and other types are closer to 2.5

so as a general rule, if you're not sure what tubes are in it, 2.5 is fairly accurate. but if it has a 6l6 variety of tube, go x3, and el34 varieties x2.

so a 50 watt tube amp with 6l6 power tubes would be percived as loud asa 150 watt solid state amp.
a 50 watt tube amp with el34's in the power section would be percieved at about 100 watts solid state.

and kt88's and others would be closer to 125 watts solid state, but depending on the tube can fluctuate.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Depending on the class of the tube amp, it can sound anywhere from 2 to 3 times louder than an equally powered ss amp. So as a general rule, taking a ss amp and multiplying its power by 2.5 is roughly how loud the tube amp of equivalent power will be.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Actually, the tube amp isn't louder, it just sounds louder because your ear is more sensitive to the frequencies of the tubes, or so I've heard.
Quote by El Codyo
Actually, the tube amp isn't louder, it just sounds louder because your ear is more sensitive to the frequencies of the tubes, or so I've heard.

its an entire thing with odd and even harmonics and the way they distort and I can never understand it.

Tube amps = good
actually a tube amp can just distort a lot higher than it's RMS, watts are watts but 50 W RMS on a tube can push out about 100 W whereas a solid state sucks at pushing out any more than it's RMS and you get really ****ty solid state distortion clipping (modellers just use a clean solid state signal and apply an effect to the signal).