If this is the wrong forum, please tell me and I'll delete it. In the song Crushing Day (Satriani, Surfing with the Alien) does anyone know what the rhythm guitar's setup is? (Amp/Guitar/FX). I'm talking about the guitar that plays
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
Quote by seljer
most likely its something to do with Marshalls and/or a Boss DS1

Peavy. Satch uses Peavy.

Also, threadstarter, it's an excellent song. Although, it's the one song that Satch himself hates. Bit of Satch knowledge there for you.

Nice to see another Satch fan.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by Smokey Amp
Peavy. Satch uses Peavy.

Also, threadstarter, it's an excellent song. Although, it's the one song that Satch himself hates. Bit of Satch knowledge there for you.

No...Satriani used Marshall JCM800 heads with 1960B cabs (with Celestion Greenbacks) on the album "Surfing With The Alien". Just because someone endorses a product now doesn't mean that they've always used that product.

As far as settings, it seems like that classic PAF Pro sound with some distortion with scooped mids.
R.I.P. Shawn "Memphis Monster" Lane

Member #8 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
Last edited by waylay00 at Jul 19, 2006,
Quote by Smokey Amp

Pry yourself out of the pit once in a while, you'll find many Satch fans
Quote by Resiliance
I ain't dissin' ya bro.

I be doin' some 'o dat sarcasm **** right thurr.
He triple tracks the rhythm guitar. I know he also uses a special mic technique, but he didn't ever say which one that I can remember.

He uses Ibanez JS series solidbodies with DiMarzio Fred and PAF pickups on the bridge and neck, respectively. He also uses the D'addario 0.009-0.042 set of strings. His typical set-up is as follows: Guitar, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, 2 Boss DS-1's, Fulltone ultimate octave, digitech whammy, Boss PS-5 Super Shifter, Boss BF-2 Flanger, Boss CH-1 Chorus, 2 Boss DD-3 Digital Delays. His rack is typically a Digitech DSP256 Multi Effects Processor, an intelligent pitch shifter, and two chandler stereo delays. Usually for his amp he uses a Marshall 30th anniversary edition head. Recently, though, he has been using the JSX model instead. Hope that helps.
Bill and Ted Fan Club Member #3. PM ollerom_mot or me to join.

"Let the Spirit guide your fingers."
Quote by VaiSatchLaiho
2 Boss DS-1's,

Maybe I'm just being a nublet but, why 2?
RE: Al DiMeola
Quote by Bill69

he sucks, why woudlnt u play guitar with a pick? oh ya, thats cuz you suck. kerry king owns whoever this guy is

Member 03 of the Yngwie Malmsteen fanclub PM Yngwie Malmstien to join.
I may be wrong, but I think it boosts the input gain (note: not to be confused with "distortion"). Stevie Ray Vaughan used this "stacking" method with two TS-808's to give him a boost for a more punchy sound.
R.I.P. Shawn "Memphis Monster" Lane

Member #8 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
Quote by Smokey Amp
Peavy. Satch uses Peavy.

Thanks for the help, it seems you know a lot about Satch

Sorry for the late response, just remembered this thread
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
QUOTE]

Thats funny because its one of my favourite Satch soungs. In his Essential album he wrote that this was one of the only solos he ever worked out if not the only (can't remember). All his solos are usually improvised in the studio but this he created outside the studio.
A bit more Satch knowledge there for you.