what kinda g cord?
Quote by CORT noob
Sex her, take the guitar, then sex her mom and have her walk in on you. Then, mom is happy, she doesn't want to be your friend anymore, and you keep the geetar. It's a win win for America!
The one that looks like this:

e--3--
B--0--
G--0--
D--0--
A--2--
E--3--

I'm having trouble with the high e finger. It's like in order to press down on the fret i have to use my fingernail.... is this normal?
Dont use your fingernail, for practical reasons - you shouldnt even have fingernails. Press down with the tips of your fingers, arching them slightly (but dont tense up your hand, tension is your enemy) Other than that you just have to practice it over and over, switching to different chord forms (IE C, F, A, D, E) after a while it becomes second nature.
Originally posted by TMH88
Im not trying to brag or anything, but im pretty good for only having been playing a month. I play about 1-2 hours every day, about 35 days strait....

Yay for 35 day months!
Is your thumb in the right place? Most people I've seen that had trouble with the G Chord, the first problem was their thumb was not in the right place.
-Roy

My Gear
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster
Washburn Lyon (LCT24)
Silvertone Revolver Bass
Ibanez IJV50 Acoustic
Fender CD160E-12
Guild Starfire IV
Some cruddy classical that my parents bought off ebay for like 40 bucks.
Also, are you using your pinky or your ring finger for the high e string?
most of the time, beginner guitarist dont have their wrist out far enough and dont play on on their tips of their fingers
try moving your wrist out towards the fret board and play on your tips, they should help with any dead dead strings that may not vibrate when you strum
also when you start to play pluck each string indivudialy to make sure that they are not dead and ring out
Could someone post a picture of how they hold the G Chord? I can hold it normally but it takes me 1-2 seconds to set up (which is tooo slow). Thanks in advance.
Quote by ckellingc
puffycow, you rock

Quote by Krieg Commando
Puffycow, you've got mojo

touch me
you should have your thumb in the back of the neck so its like your pushing the neck away from your hand in a way, and then middle! goes on the first string, index on the 2nd one, and then your ring finger in the last one, thats how i play it anyway, and it comes easily after you practice a little.
the song i used to practice it was fire water burn by the bloodhound gang
with the g and Em chords
Quote by CORT noob
Sex her, take the guitar, then sex her mom and have her walk in on you. Then, mom is happy, she doesn't want to be your friend anymore, and you keep the geetar. It's a win win for America!
Last edited by benEboy2008 at Jul 20, 2006,
Thanks, I have been doing that except fingering it with my middle on the first string, index on the 2nd and pinky on the last.

Ill try when I get home from work.
Quote by ckellingc
puffycow, you rock

Quote by Krieg Commando
Puffycow, you've got mojo

touch me
oh **** yeah thats what i mean cept for the pinky thing, i use my ring finger
Quote by CORT noob
Try using your middle finger to fret the bass note on the low E.

Then when that's set up, finger the rest of the chord with your pointer on the 2nd fret of the B string and your ring finger on the third fret of the high E.

It's a whole lot easier than using your pinky!
My gear:

MIJ Squier Stratocaster

Washburn WR150 Quilted Top

Oscar Schmidt Semi-hollow Delta King

Epiphone Hummingbird

Amps: Fender Eighty-Five
Quote by benEboy2008
you should have your thumb in the back of the neck so its like your pushing the neck away from your hand in a way, and then middle! goes on the first string, index on the 2nd one, and then your ring finger in the last one, thats how i play it anyway, and it comes easily after you practice a little.
the song i used to practice it was fire water burn by the bloodhound gang
with the g and Em chords

Your thumb should be pushing absolutely nothing. Your thumb should be placed on the neck with next to no pressure at all. The counter-pressure should come from your arm relaxing into your body.

I know, that perhaps you didn't mean 'Push the neck like a motherfucker with your thumb' - but even thinking it, even thinking that your thumb should be putting pressure on the neck will probably result in your thumb putting pressure on the neck, which you shouldn't be doing.

Just thought I'd clear that up...
i must be very crazy or strange but G was the first chord i've learned (knockin' on heaven's door)...