My guitar won't send signals to the amp. I'm gonna have it fixed, but I wanna know what is likely wrong with it.

Any ideas?
Probable causes for this:

A) Bad wiring
B) Bad wiring

I would open the thing up and check out all the wires meself. Nothing that a soldering iron and solder can't fix.

Send us pictures of it and we might be able to instruct you.
yeah what SuperAnalytical said, it'll be dodgey wiring. How much are they going to charge you to fix it? It'll probably be alot cheaper and pretty easy to do yourself. With some pictures i'm sure these people would be able to tell you what to do.
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Peavey 5150ii w/ Marshall 1960DM cab
^^^^ assuming you have a soldering iron and can use it properly, yes, quite an easy do it yourself fix
Schecter Jolly Roger
Epiphone G-310
Behringer V-Ampire

Quote by Chungavelli
Yes, but if Bob Dylan were from Holland, he'd be an asshole.

Member #3 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
Oh, if you have active pickups (EMG 81's, Dave Mustaines etc.) and your battery is flat that could be the cause, but only if you have active pickups. Just thought i'd cover my other possile thought
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Peavey 5150ii w/ Marshall 1960DM cab
that's what i was worried about. Can you just tell me what to look for?

And how do I tell if they are active pickups?
Loose wires, uncovered wires (suspicious wires in this case), something like a bad soldering job, etc.

Active=Batteries, Passive=none
ok, they're not there. I opened it, couldn't find any weird strings or batteries, so i tried it in the amp again and it works. Weird.
Quote by SuperAnalytical
Did you forget to put the volume up?

I'm not quite that dumb. God I hope I'm not that dumb. Good thing I didn't take it in to get fixed.

But there is a bad solder on the jack plate.

Edit: Nevermind, it's a good solder. (I really, really hoped that I wasn't that dumb.)
Last edited by andersoncouncil at Jul 20, 2006,
i would've actually asked that question, I had a friend who started playing guitar about a month ago, he was adament all week that his guitar wasn't making any sound through the amp, so i went round on saturday to look at it and he hadn't put up his volume
Quote by thesumoftwo
i would've actually asked that question, I had a friend who started playing guitar about a month ago, he was adament all week that his guitar wasn't making any sound through the amp, so i went round on saturday to look at it and he hadn't put up his volume

Did you make sure to slap him?
yeah try the guitar out with different cable and amp, make sure you don't pay to get the wrong thing fix, or else some jackass will say he did a hard job and charge like 25 when he didn't have to do anything, then it still doesn't work cuz all you needed was a $10 cable
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by SuperAnalytical
My post about turining the volume up was a kidding statement. Hence the

My apologies if you were offended.

No offence taken. I just had a bad week and overreacted.
Quote by absinthe5765
Did you make sure to slap him?

Hahaha. Nice.

To threadstarter, glad things worked out okay for you.