Can you use any string thickness with a floyd rose? I was thinkin' about trying 10's.
i was told by a guitar tech at guitar center the standard setup for a floyd rose is 9's
Gear:
Hamer Californian
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG120
Ibanez V
Crate 15 watt
Marshall 50DFX
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal
"Member of The Straight Edge Club. PM danzig-_- to join."
you can use any strings but you may have do adjust the trem if you change gauges
Don't get super heavy string on a FR, it will pull the bridge up really high, and raise the action, and just make it crappy. I know this from experience.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
if you switch to heavier gauges you just have to adjust the strings in the back. you might have to add a spring
Quote by calebrocker
Don't get super heavy string on a FR, it will pull the bridge up really high, and raise the action, and just make it crappy. I know this from experience.

thats why you ajust the bridge to level it out.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
So it would be possible to play .011's in a FR then?
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

^ Alexi Laiho does. Why not?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
It's worse pissing when you come in from the really cold weather and your penis has shrunken to the size of a coffee stir straw and the piss feels like the blast from a super soaker.
^ 0.011s tuned to C would work...I did that for Vai's Bad Horsie.
Ibanez Prestige RG1570 ftw!
I use 11 gauge on my FR (which is currently stringless)

And I have a packet of strings (given randomly by a friend) and I don't know what gauge they are...

.010 .013 .017 .026 .036 .046

Would those be 10 gauge then?
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Want to build a Jackson, to be fairly freaking honest.

Quote by Kanthras
Put some crap in the hole, like something sticky. And liquid-ish.
deviantART: Click Here
a small gauge change will make almost no difference, although you might have to adjust the spring/string tension ratio (the trem screws) and the truss rod. And IMO, i just wouldn't put 0.13s on anything.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by calebrocker

It depends what tuning. I know this from experience.
Quote by Invictious
hmm, how about .013s tuned to drop C?

that works out easily, and comfortably just fitting the strings in the saddle would be your concern
Quote by into the moat
i use .60 - .14 on my floyd. i had to ajust the truss od and the bidge to level it out though

you use 14's **** me have your fingers lost all the skin on them,

also i didnt know they made 14's i thought the most was 13's
My teacher says back when he started there was basically only 14's, and higher.
you could use any gauge you want. it's just that you'd have to add more springs in the back.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
you could use any gauge you want. it's just that you'd have to add more springs in the back.

Finnaly someone says it nice and clear.
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
Quote by Cone 21
Finnaly someone says it nice and clear.

actually its not see if im on 13's and decide to go down to 9's then his post becomes incorrect because i would a)remove a springs b)loosen the trem claw or c) a+b. so yeh.

you can use any gauge you want as long as you make the specific changes to the springs required for the strings
Quote by suicideangel_2
you use 14's **** me have your fingers lost all the skin on them,

also i didnt know they made 14's i thought the most was 13's

you are such a pussy
Quote by calebrocker

thats only before you adjust the claw in the back of the guitar which i assume you didnt do
Quote by azn_guitarist25
actually its not see if im on 13's and decide to go down to 9's then his post becomes incorrect because i would a)remove a springs b)loosen the trem claw or c) a+b. so yeh.

you can use any gauge you want as long as you make the specific changes to the springs required for the strings

Or you can take some old lego and put it behind the trem block
Quote by Sn^ke
Or you can take some old lego and put it behind the trem block

no, not the lego
Quote by calebrocker

from your experience, did it occur to you to add spring tension to make up for the added string tension?
Just checking