Maybe time to discuss them?

One of the greatest and most underrated bands of the sixties...Garfunkel had an amazing voice, and Paul Simon could sing, play a damn fine guitar, and is up there with Dylan and Brian Wilson as the greatest American songwriters...if you've never heard them before, buy the album Bookends...truly great stuff.

My favorite songs are:

America
At the Zoo
Save the Life of My Child
Bridge over Troubled Water
Mrs. Robinson
Sounds of Silence

so...go! Discuss!
Founder and member #1 of "The Beatles really are the greatest" club...PM me to join.

Quote by Zeus2716

but whatever you do, never, i repeat NEVER masturbate with hot sauce.
aha! the perfect opportunity for me to tell you all about paul simon.

i nearly had a stroke when i found out he was taking his tour here to arizona. albeit, expensive and crammed with new material, i had still planned on going. problem is, i discovered what his new songs sounded like.

they're as hip-hop as a sixty year old man can get.

seriously, it's TERRIBLE. there's not a single hint of paul simon in those... those, things.

no wonder garfunkel never cared for him.
Quote by wahappen

This is a guitar community not Romper Room.
Very very good stuff.

First folk group I got into which then obviously let into Dylan and Woody etc.

Paul Simon in particular is a really under appreciated guitar player, and the harmonies those two do are brilliant.
Dude, I love S&G but i've really only heard the hits..I'd let to listen to some stuff off of there albums....
I picked up Bridge Over Troubled Water and Sounds of Silence on vinyl for a couple bucks at the Salvation Army last week. My favorite song of theirs is definitely The Only Living Boy in New York.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Quote by marchoso
aha! the perfect opportunity for me to tell you all about paul simon.

i nearly had a stroke when i found out he was taking his tour here to arizona. albeit, expensive and crammed with new material, i had still planned on going. problem is, i discovered what his new songs sounded like.

they're as hip-hop as a sixty year old man can get.

seriously, it's TERRIBLE. there's not a single hint of paul simon in those... those, things.

no wonder garfunkel never cared for him.

Well he was always one for experimenting with new genres and trying new stuff...sometimes it works, like Graceland. Sometimes, apparently, it doesn't.
Founder and member #1 of "The Beatles really are the greatest" club...PM me to join.

Quote by Zeus2716

but whatever you do, never, i repeat NEVER masturbate with hot sauce.
they're great i used to listen to them a lot when i was younger. I saw them when they came to toronto a few years ago and it was a very good concert, (even though it wasnt overly exciting since they pretty much stood in the same spot the whole time) but good nevertheless
i think bridge over troubled water is a very overrated song, but i like S&G a lot. he is one of americas greatest songwriters and lyricists. S&G were great, and hes had a great solo career. Songs like Kodachrome are as good as anything they did together, and the latest album is good too.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
My dad saw them live in Central Park when he was in college, and is on the album cover of that show somewhere.

I never really got into them, but I have a lot of albums around the house from Paul Simmon's solo career.

Some of the stuff is enjoyable, but some of it, to me, is just weird.
They are awesome, Paul Simon is an extremely underrated guitar player.

I have the Concert In Central Park album, it's excellent. I especially love Old Friends/Bookends, Sound of Silence, Scarborough Fair, and America.

I actually got into them by seeing The Graduate in my film class. The Graduate is excellent, by the way.

-SD
Quote by VoodooChild15
I picked up Bridge Over Troubled Water and Sounds of Silence on vinyl for a couple bucks at the Salvation Army last week. My favorite song of theirs is definitely The Only Living Boy in New York.

That song is absolutely amazing. My personal favorite as well.
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

Founding Member of the Capital Punishment to people posting about Guns N Roses in the Classic Rock Forum Club. PM me to join.

a proudly scarred member of the Windmiller's Club
it was used to good effect in Garden State. phenomenal song, very sad but exuberant too.

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Paul wrote it one week when Garfunkel was away filming a movie in Mexico in which he had a cameo, leaving Paul effectively as "the only living boy in New York". He refers to Garfunkel as "Tom" because in their early days they performed under the name Tom and Jerry. The "aaaah"s between verses absolutely make the song. I think the high point is when he sings "Hey, let your honesty shine, shine, shine, yeah, daw 'n doo daw, like it shines on me, the only living boy in New York". Just a brilliant tune, no way around it.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Last edited by VoodooChild15 at Jul 22, 2006,
I just saw paul simon at PNC in jersey, and while he wasn't as great vocally as he has been in the past, it was a great show chock full of solo and S&G hits. I really love them and i wish i could see them play together
I've said that playing the blues is like having to be black twice. Stevie Ray Vaughan missed on both counts, but I never noticed.

-B.B. King
Simon and Garfunkel are great. Bookends is definatly thier best album, without a doubt. The Central park concert is phenomenal. Paul Simon's new solo album is terrible, i dont like it. But as ridcullylives said, it doesnt always work. Paul's graceland experiments with different african sounds and beats, and that was excellent. All in all, S&G are great.
Coldplay Rocks
Quote by SilentDeftone
I actually got into them by seeing The Graduate in my film class. The Graduate is excellent, by the way.

-SD

I love the Graduate. Excellent movie.

My favorite song is Sound of Silence. It has one of the greatest lyrics.
Sent from my iPad.
I really like Simon and Garfunkel, and my favourite songs are:

The Boxer
The Sound of Silence
Bridge Over Troubled Water
59th Street Bridge Song
Mrs. Robinson
Scarborough Fair
I Am a Rock
Bye Bye, Love
Cecilia

I have the "Bridge Over Troubled Water" album on LP, and Paul Simon - Anthology on a two CD set. I really like some of Paul Simon's stuff too (thought not really the stuff with the African tribe music in it, I dunno why)
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
The best line in The Only Living Boy is "Hey, I got nothin to do today but smile"
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

Founding Member of the Capital Punishment to people posting about Guns N Roses in the Classic Rock Forum Club. PM me to join.

a proudly scarred member of the Windmiller's Club
Quote by VoodooChild15
Paul wrote it one week when Garfunkel was away filming a movie in Mexico in which he had a cameo, leaving Paul effectively as "the only living boy in New York". He refers to Garfunkel as "Tom" because in their early days they performed under the name Tom and Jerry. The "aaaah"s between verses absolutely make the song. I think the high point is when he sings "Hey, let your honesty shine, shine, shine, yeah, daw 'n doo daw, like it shines on me, the only living boy in New York". Just a brilliant tune, no way around it.

the "aaaaaah"s are:
"It's us around eight times screaming, and we mixed it down very softly." - art garfunkel

very politicial. paul simon was an amazing songwriter.

just got the sounds of silence album. Love the covers of those standards at the end.

parsley, sage, rosemery, and tyme is a good vinyl too.
They are really wonderfull. Such a fantastic blend of voices and great lyrics and melodies. I relly like the live album "Old friends-live on stage" from the reunion tour aswell. I even think that many of the arrangements are even better than the original songs.

So all in all: I relly love S&G. To bad they couldn't stay together for longer.
They rock, has anyone seen Paul Simon's new ears?
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
Quote by Hobolad
They rock, has anyone seen Paul Simon's new ears?

Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Oh my. I'm on a Simon and Garfunkel fetish right now. Seriously, remembering old songs that my mother used to play in the car. Baby Driver has to be my favourite. Hazy Shade of Winter is also amazingly good. Paul Simon was one of my inspirations for taking up guitar. If they hadn't been played to me at such an early age, I wouldn't be where I am today in terms of musical taste. Brilliant duo.
Quote by GodofGuitar1991
you are a real guitarist when you are not ashamed about masturbating to musicians friend magazine.
S&G are one of the definitive 60's folk-rock type groups for me. I just love everything they did, I wasn't such a fan of Paul Simon's solo stuff but everything they did together was perfect. I found Graceland good, but a bit overproduced and 'of the time'.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
One of the best rock/folk duos.Great harmonies and well written songs.Can anyone think of any present day duo with such talent? It is a lost art I fear.
^ Yeah, folk music comes and goes though. We'll see another explosion of acoustic singer-songwriter duos soon I think. Music's a cycle.

Quote by Kartman

Quote by Sloopy
^ Yeah, folk music comes and goes though. We'll see another explosion of acoustic singer-songwriter duos soon I think. Music's a cycle.

I don't know about it being a duo though, but I'm certainly hoping for a revival in interest in it seeing as it's what I play. However, sadly the 'singer-songwriter' phrase has been tainted by guys like James Blunt and James Morrison etc. which is rather a shame.
Quote by SomeEvilDude
I don't know about it being a duo though, but I'm certainly hoping for a revival in interest in it seeing as it's what I play. However, sadly the 'singer-songwriter' phrase has been tainted by guys like James Blunt and James Morrison etc. which is rather a shame.

I want to hear a Simon and Garfunkel or James Taylor-like performer again. Somebody that can shake up the acoustic soft rock or folk rock genres and make them hugely popular again.

Quote by Kartman