epiphon g-400
17 20%
fender made in mexico fat h/s/s/ strat
30 35%
ibanez s470
38 45%
Voters: 85.
Page 1 of 2
im choosing between 3 different guitars, i like blues/classic rock, alittle metal, and im into trying to learn to shred(keyword trying). which guitar whould suit me. epiphone g-400, fender MIM fat strat, or a ibanez s470
Never having played any of those guitars other than fender, and a gibson SG, i'd have to say either the ibanez or the fender. The SG ain't got a vert comfortable neck for fast playing IMO.
If you're learning shred, i'd say the Ibanez would be best.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
I have a black S470.. and believe me, its very suffiecient for metal or shred. Go for it.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Yeah, from what i've heard about the tones of the ibanez, and seeing as you like blues/rock as well, get the fender.

BUT, you need to try em out yourself to see which one YOU like the most. I always forget saying that
Play them yourself and decide, they all sound very different.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by refgerto
Yeah, from what i've heard about the tones of the ibanez, and seeing as you like blues/rock as well, get the fender.

BUT, you need to try em out yourself to see which one YOU like the most. I always forget saying that

ya i did

but i didn really like the fender fat strat for distortion, the sg handled distortion alot beter
For your styles, the S470 suits PERFECT.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Get the strat trust me.

The single coils will give you a much prettier clean sound than the other guitars. Also single coils are better for the blues than Humbuckers. Just look at Stevie Ray.

Then the humbucker will give you the power for metal.

I always recommend fat strats to everyone because then you can get the sparkling single coil clean with the chunky humbucker distortion.
If your going to take the shred seriously, the ibanez.
if you jsut want to use some techs for speed but mostly stick with the blues type stuff.
the strat. definatly.

hell itll cover the metal too.

*cough*Iron Maiden*cough*

Sunburst ESP Viper-400 with EMG combo
Ibanez Talman Elec-Acoustic
1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
Quote by Carnivean
I have a black S470.. and believe me, its very suffiecient for metal or shred. Go for it.

but could it play blues and classicrock
not very many people have said anything about the sg, someone talk about that, cause when i was at guitar center i was kinda leaning toward that, and the worker recomended taht one more than the fender and ibanez
The Fat strat is more versatile and sounds better stock than the s470
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
also about the shredding i dont really think im gonna be like this
i was just thinking i could learn alittle theory and scales and play around with shred, its no like im gonna become some rusty cooley
The G-400 is a decent guitar. Mahogany body, mahogany set neck, Grover tuners, and average stock pups.

I personally recommend the Vintage G-400 over it, because the Vintage G-400 is the same guitar with a flat finish. It's also $100 less.

Out of the three you're choosing from, none fit every style you want to play. The strat will handle everything but metal well, The Ibanez will handle metal great, but won't be great for blues and classic rock, the SG will be fine for metal and classic rock, but I don't know about blues on it.

I recommend that you look at the Washburn WI64. It has coil tapping, so you can get the single coil sounds for Blues and classic rock, but you can still use the humbuckers full out for metal and any other kind of rock. It's about $350 for the Wasburn WI64, so it's in your price range. Also, www.music123.com has the Distressed version with a deluxe gigbag for $300. It's the same as the regular WI64, just with a flat finish and brushed copper hardware.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^^^ Your ignorance is amazing. No wonder you own an MG.

You think a Fat Strat can't handle heavy metal? Someone needs to try mine out..
You're learning different kinds of music. I suggest the Fender. But I agree with R_H_C_P, you have to try them all out.
Sent from my iPad.
your gonna wanna get the strat dude...its so versitile it could play and of those....especially if your getting the fat strat it could handle metal just as well as the other guitars.... replace the pick ups and it will sounds good
Quote by Funky P
The Fat strat is more versatile and sounds better stock than the s470

Thats YOUR opinion...

Mahogony>Alder tone wise MY Opinion

To the people saying the s470 will suck for anything but metal, you gotta be ****ting me. If anything its more metal than the SG, AND better suited for blues and classic rock, with the edition of the middle single coil.

S470>Fat Strat>Sg

But, at this rate, get whichever YOU like the best, because all will be pretty good.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
^^^There's not enough mahogony in the S to even be considered tone wood. There's more maple in the S than there is mahogony.

It's like saying a cracker with ham and cheese is better than a Pb&J sandwich.

what about a double fat strat ive heard of them with 2 humbuckers does anyone know where i can buy them, or could i jsut put in another humb into the fat strat
Quote by Funky P
^^^There's not enough mahogony in the S to even be considered tone wood. There's more maple in the S than there is mahogony.

It's like saying a cracker with ham and cheese is better than a Pb&J sandwich.

Doesnt say anything about maple, JUST mahogony.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Also the S470 comes with Ibanez Powersounds, i had an SA equipped with these pickups, and they are the worst out of the ibanez line of pickups usually reserved for the lower end cheaper guitars. The worst pickups out of a company that makes bad pickups doesn't say much about how good it's gonna sound.

well the votes are tied between the fender and teh ibanez, lol when i was at the store i was actually leaning toward the epiphone, someone needs to break the tie
i say definetly try them all out and others if you can, cause youll never know, maybe youll like one better, but another you didnt think about will suite all of your needs better. like the other people said, the ibanez will definetly handle the metal well. the fender, if mexican made, is crap. trust me, the humbucker will be good, but if volume is way up, youll hear a really annoying buzz in the background. i have one and it sucks like crap. the epiphone i have never played but my friend has one and it suites blues pretty well, and the humbuckers are strong enough to do some metal too. but shred is definetely not something any gibson/epiphones do well. so that would be the downside.
well hope this helped
[B]Member of the Orange Revolution Club. Buy an Orange to join.
Member #16 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.
Fender with a pickup change.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
Quote by Funky P
Also the S470 comes with Ibanez Powersounds, i had an SA equipped with these pickups, and they are the worst out of the ibanez line of pickups usually reserved for the lower end cheaper guitars. The worst pickups out of a company that makes bad pickups doesn't say much about how good it's gonna sound.

It comes with Infinities for a few years now. They're not too spunky, but okay for anything but metal, in my opinion. And really, I have nothing against strats, but S470 is about as versatile as they come (more so than basswood RGs, imo). Gambale's sig was a Saber, and his style's not quite metal or anything like it.

It all comes down to the neck profile, if you like it thin and flat, then the Ibanez, otherwise, Fender. Personally I'm a fan of Ibanez S ergonomics and comfortable shape.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Last edited by pifty at Jul 21, 2006,
Quote by Ippon
Derek Trucks.

I love my Gibson SG but I also love my Fender Strats.

that helps
Quote by Ihearthetfield
^^^ Your ignorance is amazing. No wonder you own an MG.

You think a Fat Strat can't handle heavy metal? Someone needs to try mine out..

MY IGNORANCE??? You're one of the biggest f*cking idiots on UG. I have never once seen you give correct or helpful advice.

All I've ever seen you do here on UG is join into the current fad. I belive your current opinion is that Epi's are amazing and all Gibsons suck. Is that correct? Is it also correct that only a few short weeks ago you were trolling Epi threads saying how much better Gibsons are? You're just a lousy poser trying to be one of the "cool kids" here on UG.

As for the Strat, I didn't say anywhere in my post that it couldn't do metal-All I said is that it isn't the best choice for it. It's really an incredibly simple concept to understand; A mahogany bodied guitar with higher output humbuckers is going to be MORE SUITED FOR METAL than an alder guitar with only 21 frets. It's common sense. Which, apparently, you lack.

I'd also like to know exactly what me owning an MG has to do with a GUITAR recommendation thread. You know what I think? I think you don't have anything on me, so you bash my gear.

Ihearthetfield, you are by far the most useless poster on UG. It would be a BLESSING if the mods IP banned you.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by pifty
It comes with Infinities for a few years now. They're not too spunky, but okay for anything but metal, in my opinion. And really, I have nothing against strats, but S470 is about as versatile as they come (more so than basswood RGs, imo). Gambale's sig was a Saber, and his style's not quite metal or anything like it.

It all comes down to the neck profile, if you like it thin and flat, then the Ibanez, otherwise, Fender. Personally I'm a fan of Ibanez S ergonomics and comfortable shape.

Not quite metal?

NO metal in gambale.

Hes pure soul... One of the best fusion/jazzy players around. Not to mention his shredding is spot on without an ounce of string noise.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by ClassicAxe
Not quite metal?

NO metal in gambale.

Hes pure soul... One of the best fusion/jazzy players around. Not to mention his shredding is spot on without an ounce of string noise.

Shhh.
I should've italicized the not quite metal or anything like it, as it was clearly intended to mean nothing like metal at all but with a facetious intonation. Love Gambale's work, yep.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by eyeownyu
not very many people have said anything about the sg, someone talk about that, cause when i was at guitar center i was kinda leaning toward that, and the worker recomended taht one more than the fender and ibanez

Forget what the salesperson recommended and take everything you read here with not just a grain of salt, but with a whole canister of salt.

Try a bunch of other guitars, get back to the SG and see if you still like it the most, then go buy the guitar that you *love* the most.

Nothing will make you play more than the guitar that's most comfortable, with the looks that you absolutely love, and the price you like. Some people go for what their idols play, or the guitar's niche for a genre, but consider that there are pros who use guitars not usually associated with the guitar's genre.

If after all this you still like the SG, whether Epi for now, or a Gibson later after you save up instead of buying the Epi, go for it. All the stuff you read here are opinions, some accurate and based on experience and some are parroted or from something they've read. Good Luck!

No one reccomends you the SG because it isnt a Gibson..... Save up for the SG standard of Gibson only i think 1300? i dunno meh dont like the SG shape only the LP.....

Well dude its up to you, to me its Ibanez, I tried the S series out its thin body is crazy and the neck is like on my first guitar the warlock bronzel ol maybe little thinner and smoother.

and the Strat well it can do metal but its also nice with blues and jazz or hendrix lol. They both guitars it wouldnt matter really what genre cuz the amp will do the sound. What amp do you have?

And Funky P, how the hell you know there is damn maple and its not full mahogany. You cut down trees???? Seriously........
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Quote by sylent

And Funky P, how the hell you know there is damn maple and its not full mahogany. You cut down trees???? Seriously........

THe S has the thinest body of anything on earth, i can't even say if its an average of an inch in thickness, basically there is hardly any body wood. That tiny amount of mahogony isn't gonna give the depth and warmth of an actual solid bodied mahogony.

It was an exageration saying that the neck has more mass than the body, but the Maple top version practically cuts the amount of mahogony in half, so therefore it actually does have more maple than mahogony.

And what the hell does cutting tree have to do with anything? don't be an asshat.

Page 1 of 2