Page 1 of 26
SonicYouth687
136 IQ
Modest Mouse is a great band. I know that I'm not the only one on this forum who enjoys their music and respects the band as musicians. Being that I love Modest Mouse and I haven't seen any other threads dedicated to only MODEST MOUSE, I decided to start one myself.

Below you will find the very best albums they've put out over the span of their career.

The Essential Modest Mouse Listenings:

-The Lonesome Crowded West-
-The Moon and Antarctica-
-Building Nothing Out of Something-
-This is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About-

For those of you not familiar with Modest Mouse and are looking to hear some of their material, I have comprised a list of good songs for you to check out.

The Essential Modest Mouse Songs:
Never Ending Math Equation
Dramamine
Dog Paddle
Teeth Like God's Shoeshine
Convinient Parking
Perfect Desguise
Sh*t Luck
Dark Center of the Universe
Beach Side Property
3rd Planet
Polar Opposites
Out of Gas
Truckers Atlas
Bankrupt on Selling
Exit Does Not Exist

*Note: I am currently working on a very extensive history of the band that will be added within a few days. Until then feel free to post of more suggestions on SONGS and ALBUMS.

Photo by Jeff Smith

Official Modest Mouse Site @ Epic:
http://www.modestmousemusic.com/

Official Modest Mouse Site:
http://www.modestmouse.com/web/index.php

Modest Mouse Myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/modestmouse
Last edited by SonicYouth687 at Jul 20, 2006,
sponj
UG Monkey
1,243 IQ
song recomendation: exit does not exist
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
Gurgle!Argh!
-
1,444 IQ
h0 R m0d3$7 m0u$3!?!?!?///1/1/1///??!?!?
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
trev_smith12
UG Unknown
202 IQ
Quote by DorkusMalorkus

MM are okay. I have and enjoy This is a Long Drive...but it isn't the greatest thing in the world.

But The Moon & Antarctica and The Lonesome Crowded West are.
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
SonicYouth687
136 IQ
Quote by trev_smith12
But The Moon & Antarctica and The Lonesome Crowded West are.

Hell yea they ARE!
sydbarrettsaves
love is simple
281 IQ
thank god sonicyouth687 is here to let us know about this intruiging band. i don't know what i would do without all of this extensive discography information.
music...

get your head out from those mags
and websites who try to shape your style
take a risk just for yourself
and wade into the deep end of the ocean
sponj
UG Monkey
1,243 IQ
^hm, yes...
GuitarSymphony
UG Freak
1,206 IQ
Why is Good News For People Who Love Bad News not on here? I thoroughly enjoyed the ablum from start to finish.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
jallas
dying is fine
1,802 IQ
^cos it's one of their suckiest albums tbh.

anyway jeez guys, lay off the threadstarter, we were all new once. and he obviously put a lot of, well some, time into making that post.

i for one like modest mouse; my favourite album is either TLCW or TM&A. i can't decide.
Quote by Kensai
Maybe you've heard what the ladies say: "Once you go 77mm you don't go back"
j0nmcc
former B&A mod
1,282 IQ
Ive really tried to like modest mouse, but i dont know...i can never get into them

some songs are quite nice to listen to though.
SonicYouth687
136 IQ
Quote by jallas
^cos it's one of their suckiest albums tbh.

anyway jeez guys, lay off the threadstarter, we were all new once. and he obviously put a lot of, well some, time into making that post.

i for one like modest mouse; my favourite album is either TLCW or TM&A. i can't decide.

Thanks man
starsnostars
gloommonger
1,035 IQ
Quote by GuitarSymphony
Why is Good News For People Who Love Bad News not on here? I thoroughly enjoyed the ablum from start to finish.

because it's their most popular and launched the band all over mtv. what kind of hardcore modest mouse fan would anyone be if they admitted that it really is pretty good?
sydbarrettsaves
love is simple
281 IQ
someone just close this thread before i start getting emotional ;_;
music...

starsnostars
gloommonger
1,035 IQ
by the way, has anyone heard anything in the last few months about johnny marr working with them? i wonder how that's coming along
Gurgle!Argh!
-
1,444 IQ
Quote by sydbarrettsaves
someone just close this thread before i start getting emotional ;_;

;_;. thats the best smilie style thing ive seen since ¬_¬.

wow.
GuitarSymphony
UG Freak
1,206 IQ
Quote by starsnostars
because it's their most popular and launched the band all over mtv. what kind of hardcore modest mouse fan would anyone be if they admitted that it really is pretty good?

Good point. I guess I'm just not as hardcore :\
Moon & Anartica is slowly growing on me.
Run!
Quote by ifeastonbums
*Truly Ninja*
it's yours
1,648 IQ
OKAY, here are my essential modest mouse listening tracks.

They go in descending order, in that the top one is my favorite.

essential?

oo "Trailer Trash" oo
This is just the most beautiful song they've ever written. I can't even listen to it without tearing up a little bit.

oo "Other People's Lives" oo
Isaac Brock does things with a guitar you've never heard before. The extended coda to this angry jam session has some of the coolest string harmonic variations I've ever heard.

oo "3rd Planet" oo
I can't describe why this song is so amazing, but I think it has a lot to do with the phrase, "drippin' pitch and made of wood."

oo "Bankrupt on Selling" oo
I like the emotional modest mouse songs. And that line "I've seen through 'em all, seen through 'em all, seen through most everything" gets me every time. It's a fück-you manifesto, but it's also crushingly sad.

oo "Cowboy Dan" oo
Now this is a fück-you song. Modest mouse are at their best singing songs that are chronicles of the depravity of the American west, and this is the best they've ever done it.

oo "Dramamine" oo
Just classic. And beautiful.

There are more, but those are the best IMO.
sponj
UG Monkey
1,243 IQ
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
;_;. thats the best smilie style thing ive seen since ¬_¬.

wow.

only cool cuz sydbarrettsaves used it ._.
Gurgle!Argh!
-
1,444 IQ
Quote by *Truly Ninja*
OKAY, here are my essential modest mouse listening tracks.

They go in descending order, in that the top one is my favorite.

essential?

oo "Trailer Trash" oo
This is just the most beautiful song they've ever written. I can't even listen to it without tearing up a little bit.

oo "Other People's Lives" oo
Isaac Brock does things with a guitar you've never heard before. The extended coda to this angry jam session has some of the coolest string harmonic variations I've ever heard.

oo "3rd Planet" oo
I can't describe why this song is so amazing, but I think it has a lot to do with the phrase, "drippin' pitch and made of wood."

oo "Bankrupt on Selling" oo
I like the emotional modest mouse songs. And that line "I've seen through 'em all, seen through 'em all, seen through most everything" gets me every time. It's a fück-you manifesto, but it's also crushingly sad.

oo "Cowboy Dan" oo
Now this is a fück-you song. Modest mouse are at their best singing songs that are chronicles of the depravity of the American west, and this is the best they've ever done it.

oo "Dramamine" oo
Just classic. And beautiful.

There are more, but those are the best IMO.

you win.

and sponj, what can i say? sydbarrettsaves is the only barometer of cool i ever use.

im not even sure anymore whether or not to follow that with '¬_¬'.
sponj
UG Monkey
1,243 IQ
;_; > ¬_¬
The Mofaster
Disco Dancer!
87 IQ
Quote by starsnostars
by the way, has anyone heard anything in the last few months about johnny marr working with them? i wonder how that's coming along

who are you serious?! I guess it isn't a silly rumour then. I heard about it, but really didn't think too much of it, till now that you said it.
HelpImARock
Do You Want More?!!!??!
150 IQ
I have Good News and This Is A Long Drive.... I know a lot of people hate GNFPWLBN but I really did like the song "The View".
Comin' straight out of Compton, with a loose cannon. Smoke big green, call it Bruce Banner.

"Hey son, how many girls called you today? Zero? Oh and how about yesterday? Uh... Zero? Well son, you know what they say. Zero plus zero equals FAG."
sydbarrettsaves
love is simple
281 IQ
credit is due where credit is due... sponj is the creator of the cute ;_;
props to you friend
music...

bobsaget13
15 IQ
another great song is grey ice water
also i came as a rat
good album is everywhere and his nasty parlor tricks

1 more- othr peoples lifes
AWA
Straight gumpin'
740 IQ
Modest Mouse are a great band. One of my favorites.

I'd say my favorite song of theirs at the moment would have to be The Good Times are Killing Me.

I adore Isaac Brocks voice.
Wade in the water, child.
SonicYouth687
136 IQ
Quote by starsnostars

Hahaha, yea thats what I am, against the albums that go on MTV.....NOT. A true fan would have an oppinion. I can admit that my favorite band has an ablum out that I really could care less for and they can still be my favorite band. Their commercial success has absolutely nothing to do with. Don't make assumptions, you'll just be wrong.
sponj
UG Monkey
1,243 IQ
Yes I agree with him, I can still like the record even if it launche the band on MTV. It really has nothing to do, specially if you are and hardcore fan... Of course you won't be very very happy but you have to think that it's just a plus for the band.
starsnostars
gloommonger
1,035 IQ
Quote by SonicYouth687
Hahaha, yea thats what I am, against the albums that go on MTV.....NOT. A true fan would have an oppinion. I can admit that my favorite band has an ablum out that I really could care less for and they can still be my favorite band. Their commercial success has absolutely nothing to do with. Don't make assumptions, you'll just be wrong.

good for you. that wasn't aimed at you, so don't make assumptions, you'll just be wrong
Rubber_Soul
Fly Trapped in a Jar
67 IQ
I have Good News, Lonesome Crowded West, and the Moon and Antarctica. All great albums in my opinion. Some of my favourite songs are Doin' the Cockroach, Black Cadillacs, and 3rd Planet.
starsnostars
gloommonger
1,035 IQ
ok, since only one other person seems to even care, i did some research and rumor has it that johnny marr is in fact now a member of the band, taking dann gallucci's place.

Quote by starsnostars
modest marr
modestmouse9191
Guitar es buenisimo
56 IQ
Modest Mouse is my favorite band, you can tell by my name, and avatar

Anyways, my favorite songs are:

Talkin' **** About a Pretty Sunset
Dramamime
Dark Center of the Universe
Life Like Weeds
Trucker's Atlas
Doin' the Cockaroach
Trailer Trash
Broke
Interstate 8
Ocean Breathes Salty
Black Cadillacs

I tried to pick two from every album
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

slinks
Bastard in a Basket
443 IQ
Quote by starsnostars
ok, since only one other person seems to even care, i did some research and rumor has it that johnny marr is in fact now a member of the band, taking dann gallucci's place.

That's awesome, as long as their sound doesn't change too much.
cubedeathk
A Reasonable UGer
203 IQ
Marr is now officially a member of the band. Also it is rumored taht the new album is due out October 10th. The recording for the album finished in mid june and it is rumored to be titled "Living Through Indirect Motion", All this infomation courtesy of Wikipedia the free encyclopedia.
GuitarSymphony
UG Freak
1,206 IQ
Quote by cubedeathk
Marr is now officially a member of the band. Also it is rumored taht the new album is due out October 10th. The recording for the album finished in mid june and it is rumored to be titled "Living Through Indirect Motion", All this infomation courtesy of Wikipedia the free encyclopedia.

This is very good news indeed.
Run!
Quote by ifeastonbums
Caustic
On holiday by mistake
370 IQ
Modest Mouse are fantastic. Epitomised 90's indie music, I think. Moon & Antarctica and Lonsome Crowded West are both great recordings. Damn fine effort you've made, SonicYouth[numbers].

Marr working with Modest Mouse? I predict monstrous results. Monstrously awesome, I mean.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.