Page 5 of 26
sad sappy sucker and good news aren't given enough credit
good news is largely frowned upon by people who have been into mouse for a while and don't wanna except new fans
which is largely cos they're cocks
and sad sappy sucker cos it's a bbit bizarre which bothers me less when people dislike it but if you listen to all the short songs they're mostly genius
a long drive is the worst in my opinion
Cool band, i love the guitar work and vocals (is it just me or does Isaac sound like Bobcat Goldthwait from Police Academy?). Lonesome Crowded West is the only album of theirs i own, but Antarctica is on the "to buy" list.
Quote by thyme
sad sappy sucker and good news aren't given enough credit
good news is largely frowned upon by people who have been into mouse for a while and don't wanna except new fans
which is largely cos they're cocks
and sad sappy sucker cos it's a bbit bizarre which bothers me less when people dislike it but if you listen to all the short songs they're mostly genius

yeah, i totally agree. except for that long drive comment, that's my favorite. nothing beats custom concern.

but sad sappy sucker is pretty underrated i think mostly because its seen as just not being on the level of the other records since its not even 30 minutes long if i remember right, and is mostly just demos. but i've realized lately that i listen to that one more than any other. songs like wagon ride returns kick so much ass once you give them a chance.
Johnny Marr has ruined Modest Mouse, if this new song is anything to go by. No offense to anybody but modest mouse is going the way of Pat Boone I think.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
i'm going to see them in about two hours and i am really excited, one of my all time favorite bands, and i'm really curious to see how johnny fits in with them, my friend told me, that the new cd has a lot more orchestration on it, he said it's supposed to sound almost similar to like the arcade fire which idk if thats really true but i guess i'll find out tonight...
Quote by cubedeathk
Johnny Marr has ruined Modest Mouse, if this new song is anything to go by. No offense to anybody but modest mouse is going the way of Pat Boone I think.

they're going to start wearing biker gear and cover metallica?

honestly, this makes no sense at all. no way is johnny marr's influence so great that you can judge by one crappy youtube clip. i doubt you'll even be able to tell once the albums comes out.
How is "float on" not on the essential song list? That is one of my all time favs!
Zakk Wyld Epi
SD-1 Overdrive
Martin DX1
I like the Johnny Marr addition.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
Quote by Blue Motion
yeah, i totally agree. except for that long drive comment, that's my favorite. nothing beats custom concern.

but sad sappy sucker is pretty underrated i think mostly because its seen as just not being on the level of the other records since its not even 30 minutes long if i remember right, and is mostly just demos. but i've realized lately that i listen to that one more than any other. songs like wagon ride returns kick so much ass once you give them a chance.

I go crazy for classy plastic lumber.
Originally Posted by cubedeathk

As an avid Modest Mouse fan, I can honestly say the Johnny Marr addition will add a fresh spin on their music. People need to accept that the band can't stick to their roots their entire career, and that they're allowed to experiment with their music. It is their music, right? It should be, considering they're the ones writing it.

I fully support whatever path the Mouse goes down into.
i thought they were amazing when i saw them last week and i thought johnny was awsome, they were an amazing, one of the best shows i've been to in forever, they played a 20 minute version of tiny cities made of ashes and probably an equally long version of dramamine.

and as for johnny he fit perfectly into the band supprisingly, he had a very good usage of effects, issac played banjo on bukowski, and he played a rhoads piano on the world at large, and then the multi instrumentalist and the bassist switched off playing strange instruments such as trumpets, bugles, accordians, stand up bass,shakers etc...

i'd give it a 9/10 of the best bands i've ever seen
^what was the setlist like? roughly how did it break down into songs from each record?
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
^what was the setlist like? roughly how did it break down into songs from each record?

Yeh i've always wondered what and how they decide what they play with such a large back catalogue.
almost all of there music is good. TLCW, TM&A, this is a long drive, and good news are all amazing albums. In my opinion best indie band of all time.
Oh noose tied myself in, tied myself too tight
Looking kind of anxious in your cross armed stance
Like a bad tempered prom queen at a homecoming dance
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!

well the set list was mostly stuff from good news and from the new album, but they did do a few classics like paper thin walls, tiny cities made of ashes, dramamine, and doing the cockroach....

the new album should be really good, the songs sounded really awsome, i'm really looking forward to it....
yeah, those four seem to be common ones for them to do. they opened with dramamine both times i've seen them live. i'm not complaining, that song kicks ass.
trailer trash is really good
Quote by MightyAl
The best way to approach a group of girls is wearing a dirty old trenchcoat with nothing underneath. Open it in slow motion, while making your 'orgasm face', and then run like hell.

]
Hey you guys There is a link on wikipedia to a site where someone recorded the songs at a concert. The quality is really good and there is 6 new songs. I dont like them though

Quote by thyme

Quote by Rib5
How is "float on" not on the essential song list? That is one of my all time favs!

Bah.

Anyway. I think the new album should be brilliant. Nothing wrong with Marr. At least he isn't Morrissey.
Quote by starsnostars
ah, this theard comes down to cubedeathk loving wikipedia and hating jonny marr

.... ......Great....that is always good for a thread. .....

-stepco
I like them because they're so weird. I don't know if that's shallow or what, but it's true.

Their older albums are weirder, but on Good News for People Who Love Bad News some weirdness still managed to shine through. Oh well.
"In a recent interview, Isaac Brock has mentioned two song titles, "We've Got Everything" and "Steaming Genius," "

do you think by "we've got everything" they ment to say "we've got it all(most)?"
Well the day the album was originally intended to come out has passed, but does anyone know anything about the next single? Surely that will be coming out soon.

Quote by cubedeathk
Well the day the album was originally intended to come out has passed, but does anyone know anything about the next single? Surely that will be coming out soon.

The first single will be "Dashboard" and it will be expected for release in early 2007.

-stepco
i heard the new album wouldn't come out until about march. I hope earlier, but thats what i heard somewhere.

Personally, i think i like TLCW better, but not by much. Bankrupt on Selling is one of my favorite songs.
Quote by rmjohns
i heard the new album wouldn't come out until about march. I hope earlier, but thats what i heard somewhere.

Personally, i think i like TLCW better, but not by much. Bankrupt on Selling is one of my favorite songs.

You like TLCW better? TMAA FTW!

-stepco
i like the song dashboard it was really awsome when they played it live a month ago, i'm really excited to hear the new album...
Marr is onboard permanently now?

If so, that'll be interesting. I love Modest Mouse
マリ「しあわっせはーあるいってこないだーからあるいってゆっくんだねーん 
いっちにっちいっぽみーかでさんぽ
 さーんぽすすんでにっほさっがるー 
じーんせいはっわんつー!ぱんち・・・

"Success is as dangerous as failure. Hope is as hollow as fear." - from Tao Te Ching

Quote by stepco12345
^Did their style change much?

~stepco

no i dont think it really changed that much, i did notice they used the multi-instrumentalist a lot more on their newer stuff but i think it sounded like the same old modest mouse, i really liked it they put on an awsome show, and johnny marr was awsome, his guitar playing was excellent. he fit perfectly with them
Oh, i seriously can't wait for the new album. However, if they pull a Chinese Democracy on us, i'll be really mad.

~stepco
I rediscovered MM today by accident. There were a couple of songs on the playlist I had on and one came on (first time in months). They are good, I love 'Talking Shit...', 'Paper Thin Walls', 'Float On' and 'The World at Large'.

Yes, sir! Which album do you think is the best? And, and it may well be different, which has the best songs on it?

Well, The Moon and Antarctica is amazing. There are some great tracks that stand out, but only a few. As an album, I don't think it holds up to (dare I say it...) Good News for People Who Love Bad News. I know that the purists and elitists will disagree, but I think it's a masterpiece. Who cares if that's the one that made them commercially successful? I love it.
Call me Steve. All the cool kids are doin it.
Quote by crazynickman

Step One: Wake up in the LATE AFTERNOON
Step Two: Roll around in garbage and lyrical genius
Instant Bob Dylan.