Hey guys, I am a guitar noob who started just last week.

I cant say i know what direction I want to go in just yet as far as genre because up until now I never bothered to listen specifically or single out the guitarists in the band. All i know is what I like...

Could someone tell me what genre a solo like this one would most likely be used in, because I enjoyed listening a lot.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7270915684119912862&q=in+flames

Also, what type of guitar would be good for this... it doesnt sound very distorted, but hell if I know.

In addition to this I have often appreciated music by Larc en Ciel.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1293374309571680161&q=larc+en+ciel
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7601542079854838242&q=larc+en+ciel
Does it make sense that someone could like both the above and below types of music, or pursue practice of both styles?

It may be too early for me to decide just now but ... you know, i just want to find the guitar i should be obsessing over before I decide I like something that wont even be a smart choice for me.
In Flames is Metal (and a good choice of solo)

L'Arc en Ciel, if I'm right, is sort of rock.

If you're looking for a guitar, an Ibanez is better than anything. Depends on your price range for the model.

You can like any type of music, it's not necessarily wrong to like Country and then like Metal (not referring to the above artists)

If you like In Flames, I'd recommend an Ibanez and various Rock/Metal type bands, like Metallica and ... etc. (I just got up I can't think)

But for just music, and hopefully when you're advanced, Dragonforce, Black Label Society and/or Children of Bodom could be good influences to push you further.

Welcome to the world of Guitar and I hope you enjoy it.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Want to build a Jackson, to be fairly freaking honest.

Quote by Kanthras
Put some crap in the hole, like something sticky. And liquid-ish.
deviantART: Click Here
You can practice as many styles as you want. The great guitarists of today have a wide range of possibilities open to them when they pick up a guitar and play, because they study a whole different range of styles.
As for what guitar, it would be hard to suggest. Can never really go wrong with an Ibanez of some sort. They're pretty popular, and can cater for most tastes. Your best bet would be to go into local music shops and ask to test out some of the models that appeal to you.
Not much help, but hey, I tried. =/
Thank you for the reply, but my biggest question is... Is one guitar suited for both these types of music or do i need to choose one?
Yes. One guitar is enough.

Because you have effects, but if the body of the guitar is made from different woods which have different tones.

http://www.carvin.com/wood_finish/

Read the top half of that, it should help you with tones. Then you just pick an amp and you're set for anything.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Quote by Kanthras
There are all-round guitars that are suited to both metal and general rock genres. Ibanez are king at it. Something in the "S" range would be good. They're not too expensive, and they look cool. Light, and fun to play. But I mean, its just down to your preference. You'll have to go out there and try the guitars out for yourself. Its the fun part of shopping for a guitar. So go enjoy it. =D
On another note, we can help. We just need a price really..
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Quote by Kanthras
I want to spend Like 500 dollars, but i do not have an amp yet or anything so that makes things a lot more complicated, Ive read the sticky which was a guide to purchasing a guitar but spending 50% of my budget on an amp seems a little wierd... I wont be able to get a very nice guitar that way.

To the above: Do you mean Epiphone les paul?
Quote by Naregnemyes
I want to spend Like 500 dollars, but i do not have an amp yet or anything so that makes things a lot more complicated, Ive read the sticky which was a guide to purchasing a guitar but spending 50% of my budget on an amp seems a little wierd... I wont be able to get a very nice guitar that way.

To the above: Do you mean Epiphone les paul?

I never really follow guides I just think of it myself.

My guitar was £520 (bought for £500 because it was my birthday)
And my amp was £134 exc. delivery since I ordered it.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Quote by Kanthras
I dont think you should jump into the deepend with in flames solos quite yet though, start with easier metal like metallica enter sandmna, black sabbath paranoid, stuff like that

Also yes one guitar=all sounds basically, its down to your amp mainly (unless you're guitar has distorted pick-ups or in builat effects or something) I suggest before you go spending a really small amount of money on the guitar and huge bubdles on the smp, i say dont, get and amp that will suit you for now and get a good guitar now, then when you want a new amp you just save up but something like a fender champion or a roland cube or something like that will do for now
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I dont think you should jump into the deepend with in flames solos quite yet though, start with easier metal like metallica enter sandmna, black sabbath paranoid, stuff like that

It was him identifying a genre not whether to play the solo or not. I got influenced by In Flames, etc. in playing guitar, not playing the solo. I eventually got there though, lol..
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Quote by Kanthras
lol damn. everyone dissapeared without giving me advice onthe most important part.
Quote by Punk_Ninja

umm enter sandman's not really that easy

and for the threadstarter, probably an ibanez would be best. however if you get more into metal than rock, go for a Jackson or an ESP

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by Naregnemyes
I like this guitar then...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510443

Is there a reason why its so cheap besides being made in asia? (a reason why i should not buy it.)

Yes, it's a Squire lol. The most expencive Squire there is (new) is only $500ish. Which makes it 1/3 of what my guitar cost me lol (the most expencive one that is). Anyway, these people keep saying Ibanez, which are nice guitars, you might want to look into Epiphone as well, but the Ibanez guitars will probably be better

Edit: didn't clearly state this, Squires are known for producing numerous duds (poor quality guitars) so be VERY careful about buying them, and make sure you play it first. This is why Squires are also so cheap.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Last edited by onemanarmy9 at Jul 20, 2006,
Quote by IndieLee

L'Arc en Ciel, if I'm right, is sort of rock.

L'arc are J-Rock.

The J is short for actually-really-not-that-good-but-fawned-over-by-pubescent-greasy-fat-fangirls-and-socially-retarded-anime-fans.

Although "Driver's High" is pretty catchy.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Quote by StaggHound
L'arc are J-Rock.

The J is short for actually-really-not-that-good-but-fawned-over-by-pubescent-greasy-fat-fangirls-and-socially-retarded-anime-fans.

Although "Driver's High" is pretty catchy.

I would be the socially-retarded anime fan.

Though I heard of larc when it was mixed into a Capcom vs snk 2 combo video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zuk2jxCF0xE&search=dive%20to%20blue

This is the song that got me hooked.
Last edited by Naregnemyes at Jul 21, 2006,
isnt the singer gay and the guitarist?? Of larc of course....?
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Quote by sylent
isnt the singer gay and the guitarist?? Of larc of course....?

It's J-Rock. They don't have an audience outside of Japan if they aren't gay.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!