I know that I have been posting a quite a few threads on scales already, but I am really quite confused. I am attempting to learn the scale of A major by learning it from the positions, ie. first position etc..., but am now stuck. Could anyone please tell me what fret the positions begin and end? Here is the scale of A major if it is any help:
A major

E0|--|2-|--|4-|5-|--|7-|--|9-|10|--|12|--|14|--|16|17|--|19|--|21|22|--|24|
B0|--|2-|3-|--|5-|--|7-|--|9-|10|--|12|--|14|15|--|17|--|19|--|21|22|--|24|
G-|1-|2-|--|4-|--|6-|7-|--|9-|--|11|--|13|14|--|16|--|18|19|--|21|--|23|--|
D0|--|2-|--|4-|--|6-|7-|--|9-|--|11|12|--|14|--|16|--|18|19|--|21|--|23|24|
A0|--|2-|--|4-|5-|--|7-|--|9-|--|11|12|--|14|--|16|17|--|19|--|21|--|23|24|
E0|--|2-|--|4-|5-|--|7-|--|9-|10|--|12|--|14|--|16|17|--|19|--|21|22|--|24|

Thanks for any help given.
We'll be washed and buried one day my friend
And the time we were given will be left for the world
The flesh that lived and loved will be eaten by plague
So let the memories be good for those who stay
The scale begins always with the note which is indicated in the scale's name. In this case the scale is A major. so you start with an A. Look for an A on the low E string and you'll find it on the 5th fret. that's where you start. take 3 notes per string and do so for every string and you have your "main" A major box. all other notes you have marked on the fretboard are also notes of A major. But depending on the note you are starting with, the scale's name changes.
look at your diagramm and start for example on the 2nd fret (low e string). the note is: F#. from that point on, make your box like I described above, and you have another box, containing only notes from a major. but in this case it's the F# Locrian scale.
So try improvise with a F# locrian scale over a A major chord for example and you'll see - it works. just a different mood.
The main thing is the so called root-note. In A major it's an A.
My Rig:

Ibanez RBM - I adore this axe!!
Fender Strat (Duncan PU's + Floyd-Rose)
Washburn Acoustic
Kustom Quad200 Amp-Head
Cusom-made 2x12 Cabinet
Guitar Rig2 (for Recording...awesome!)
Dunlop Cry-Baby
Rocktron Intellifex
Boss SD-1
Depending on where you start a box on the fretboard, the major key never changes - it's only always a different mode (as long as you're playing only the notes of the major key you're in - in this case: A major). Just keep in mind the order of the different modes:
1. Ionian (your major mode )
2. Dorian
3. Phrygian
My Rig:

Washburn Acoustic
Kustom Quad200 Amp-Head
Cusom-made 2x12 Cabinet
Dunlop Cry-Baby
Rocktron Intellifex
Boss SD-1
Last edited by bonfire36m at Jul 20, 2006,
sorry...one click to fast *g*

ok -one more time:

1. Ionian
2. Dorian
3. Phrygian
4. Lydian
5. Mixolydian
6. Aolian
7. Locrian

That are the seven steps for each note of the major key.
In your example the major key is A. so the notes of A major are:
1. A
2. B
3. C#
4. D
5. E
6. F#
7. G#

so... a scale made of the notes of A major, but starting with an E ( 5th note in the A major key) is an E mixolydian scale (5th place in the mode order above).

sounds maybe a bit tricky in the beginning, but once you got through it, it's quite easy...keep on rockin......
My Rig:

Washburn Acoustic
Kustom Quad200 Amp-Head
Cusom-made 2x12 Cabinet
Dunlop Cry-Baby
Rocktron Intellifex
Boss SD-1
haha..really.....don't worry....lol...I'm just trying to help as good as I can...
My Rig:

Washburn Acoustic
Kustom Quad200 Amp-Head
Cusom-made 2x12 Cabinet
Dunlop Cry-Baby
Rocktron Intellifex
Boss SD-1
so...any unanswered questions? I'll try my best....

btw: MAN!!!!
My Rig:

Washburn Acoustic
Kustom Quad200 Amp-Head
Cusom-made 2x12 Cabinet
Dunlop Cry-Baby
Rocktron Intellifex
Boss SD-1
well, you see that kristofer (video lesson) dude was talking about scale positions and boxes and from what i gathered he started from a scale and there were different positions all the way up the neck. im kind of stuck inside one scale position and this would free me up i guess.
could you clarify this please?
Yeah I sort of get the idea, but does the second position also begin on the fifth fret for the A major?
One more thing...if you wanna change the main key, no problem:

As said before, find your main major scale fingering and position. The A major scale in your example, starting with the root-note A on the low e string, 5th fret looks like that:

|--|--|7-|--|9-|10|
|--|--|7-|--|9-|10|
|--|6-|7-|--|9-|--|
|--|6-|7-|--|9-|--|
|5-|--|7-|--|9-|--|
|5-|--|7-|--|9-|

Take this major box and move it on any position on the fretboard.
If you want to change the key from A major to B major for example - you have to find your root-note, in this case: B, on the low e string. you find on the 7th fret. so just move this entire box 2 frets up so it starts now from a B, 7th fret and looks like that:

|--|--|9-|--|11-|12|
|--|--|9-|--|11-|12|
|--|8-|9-|--|11-|--|
|--|8-|9-|--|11-|--|
|7-|--|9-|--|11-|--|
|7-|--|9-|--|11-|

so this B major!

boah...that was a lot I know, but I hope I could made it a little bit more clearly to you....
I don't wanna talk about all those crazy, exotic and foreign modes, that's another story and should be told later *g*
My Rig:

Washburn Acoustic
Kustom Quad200 Amp-Head
Cusom-made 2x12 Cabinet
Dunlop Cry-Baby
Rocktron Intellifex
Boss SD-1
ok..I know what you mean malakian + snails:

knowing the fact that every scale position is made in the form: 3 notes per string on all 6 strings, then you will see, that there are as much positions as notes are on the low e string, because you want every scale box/position start on the low e string.

in Malakian's example for A major you have 7 notes of the A major key on the low e string ( I only look at the first 12 frets, from there on it starts all over again, only 12 frets higher - but I guess you know that *g*).
So you have 7 starting points for a new scale/box/position.
Look at Malakian's diagramm tab above and cut it into 7 pieces ....
to build a box, just try not to move horizontally ( you have to...I know, but only as much as necessary for the next note) but only vertically.
That's the way you build your positions.
Did that help you?
My Rig:

Washburn Acoustic
Kustom Quad200 Amp-Head
Cusom-made 2x12 Cabinet
Dunlop Cry-Baby
Rocktron Intellifex
Boss SD-1
a bit.

watch kristofer's masterclass video on improvisational madness and then you will understand
The essential thing, like shown in the kristofer dahl video f. e., is how to combine two or more boxes.
sounds quite boring just playing in one position up and down the strings, so you have to find a good-sounding way to get from one position to another. Once knowing the notes of a key and their positions on the fretboard, you can use every technique to combine. Use some licks, slidings, dives ...whatever.
The secret is: free your mind! don't think about every single note, just know them...haha. ....sounds easier than it is - yeah, but that's also my big goal.
My Rig:

Washburn Acoustic
Kustom Quad200 Amp-Head
Cusom-made 2x12 Cabinet
Dunlop Cry-Baby
Rocktron Intellifex
Boss SD-1
in other words you have seen how shreders do runs up and down the fretboard how do they get the scales to do that? do they use the same scale in different positions or what?
search for the hopscotch method in the ug lessons, that will help and i believe has the 7 positions
songs: Left Behind choices
Quote by MadClownDisease
Well I can top you all, I've done my mum, my step brother AND a cat. As well as quite a few corpses.
When the position of the notes once are stamped in your mind, you are free to play on every position you like.
you won't be able to play a good solo or just improvisation when you have to look for every correct note on the fretboard and think about if this note is right or wrong.
Practise, practise..that's the only way to "eat" that stuff. Hard to stay on, I know - but there's no other was I guess.
My Rig:

Washburn Acoustic
Kustom Quad200 Amp-Head
Cusom-made 2x12 Cabinet
Dunlop Cry-Baby
Rocktron Intellifex
Boss SD-1
Ok thanks bonfire, u helped a lot!!!!!!!
ok snails...I forgot to say, that imo it's a must to know the notes on the fretboard on every string, every fret ( 1st fret, low e string: F, 2nd fret, low e string: F#..etc.) but that are the real basics of musical theory. I thought you knew about that. Knowing where the notes are on your guitar and knowing the key of a song you want to play a solo at, gives you all information you need. therefore, you have the scales and positions to learn that. running up and down the fretboard horizontally means that you take a little bit of different positions and mix them. How you can learn that? practise, practise, pract...okok..guess you know *g*....there's no theoretical way to learn it.
Don't forget: this is a part of personal musical creativity and ideas...find it out!
My Rig:

Washburn Acoustic
Kustom Quad200 Amp-Head
Cusom-made 2x12 Cabinet
Dunlop Cry-Baby
Rocktron Intellifex
Boss SD-1
hihi..sorry...didn't say that you're stoopid....and i never thought that, ok?
My Rig:

Washburn Acoustic
Kustom Quad200 Amp-Head
Cusom-made 2x12 Cabinet
Dunlop Cry-Baby
Rocktron Intellifex
Boss SD-1